Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Why do all of the Blackberry Connect threads get highjacked by GoodGuy?
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crawform
    Why do all of the Blackberry Connect threads get highjacked by GoodGuy?
    I don't neccesarily see it as a hijack. ea0423 mentioned GL pricing and functionality and he simply responded. When he did, Dhart asked him another question about wireless conduits and he answered that one as well.

I think people are also tired of waiting and wondering when BB for Palm is going to be released, so GG is offering an alternative until that day comes.
    Last edited by dwman; 05/31/2005 at 05:36 PM.
    So....what's the status of BB Connect? Any viable alternative for Treo600 where the corporate standard is BB?

Regards,
    Tom in Chicago
    For fun & profit & Christ,
    TWF in Chicago
    So....what's the status of BB Connect? Any viable alternative for Treo600 where the corporate standard is BB?

Regards,
    Tom in Chicago
    TWF in Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by tomfurie

Regards,
    Tom in Chicago
    I am waiting also - same situation (well, for the 650). But an e-mail only solution wont do it for me - I want the BB Connect to include calendar functionality.

I keep waiting and waiting...
    I wouldn't hold your breath on Blackberry Connect. I too have been waiting for this feature for almost a year now. I cannot get my company email on my Treo because we use Notes and the IT Director only allows the Blackberry solution for mobile access to email. Well, actually, I can use iNotes with Blazer on my 650 but it's not the same.

I don't remember who I heard it from but the bottom line is that the carriers don't want this to happen. Why? I can't remember but I will have to check into it again. I have two friends who are in that world enough to know the scoop.
    Quick breakdown of customer demographics that PalmOne is losing customers from:

*Hip hop demographic - if you think BB the device are prevalent in the business/corporate wordl, wait till you waltz into ANY music HQ or record company (or Jay-Z, LOL). BB's are the new 2-way pager for the rap crowd....

*Business that would love to deploy Treo's but DON'T HAVE A BB PALM CLIENT - and, yet, just shelled out obscene amounts of cash for the Enterprise Server whatever TF it is. ~ 20K/yr.

*Small business users - ...who just waltz into Cingular, Nextel, (and now Verizon) and go right past the Treo's and PPC's, to the Blackberry's. "I'd like one of these for email! Hey - yeah...you..."

*International Travelers - I know IM frequently with a T|C poster who noted that she used to be able to, when, as a cute international jetsetter she could hop off a UK and EurAsia flight and the BB JUST WORKED. As opposed to my my Treo, beloved as it may be, gotta find a prepaid SIM, blah blah.

The damn thing JUST WORKS. Seamlessly (at least to the average joe) - ala the TiVo. Iam one of you guys - the users that CARES about the underlying tech, effect on battery life, IMAP support, how many attachments supported, etc.

But until PalmOne competes the right way - they'll lose. And this is coming from me, a loyal Palm user for 6 years. 1/3 of my life!
    I'm with you all..I've been a long-time Palm user (see my signature below) and I use my treo for everything. I upgraded to the 650 b/c of the activesync potential, only to learn that Palm doesn't directly have a vpn supported client app for it's users to use with the popular clients (cisco, check point, etc.). They have movian and mergic on their web sites yet Movian, for example, the only one who supports IPSec has like no support available. You can email and hope for a response. I think it's rediculous to have the expectation to market to a business community with no real wireless outlook sync capability. I just bought the 650 and am ready to put it on ebaby despite the fact that i like so many things about it. Shame on Palm for not suring up the basic outlook base for the treo if it really intended to take the BB space.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    I need a corporate phone/email at my new company. My IT guy today called eaccess to see if I could use the Treo in our BB envirinment. The eaccess guy said that BB Connect is being held up in the USA due to certain litigation. So after having a Treo since Oct 2002 I have to convert to a BB 7100. I'm afraid! I use my Treo for everything, every day! But when in Rome...
    TWF in Chicago
    I got an SMS from a palmOne guy who is still holding to a 4th quarter prediction. Dammit...
    Interesting read of this board. BB Client for Palm and also a prediction by Treonauts of a Windows Mobile Palm smartphone within 3 months. Could this be the HTC model that pictures surfaced a couple months ago which looked very much like the current Treo with slightly different form-factor and keys? I have to ask has Palm decided that we the users are asking for something the Palm OS can not do or support and this Windows Mobile is the answer for the BB Client and Wireless? Is this a way for MS to get their foot firmly into the smartphone arena? Gates could buy Palm with his pocket change. There has to be some convergence here with Palm, MS and Apple in this area and maybe that is what is driving it. How great would it be (and profitable) to have a Treo with a bt, wifi and a 20 gb HD and add the element of being an iPod replacement device. Will it then be the Quatro instead of the Treo?

After seeing the pics of the new Motorola RAZR with MS Windows Mobile I have to think everyone who is competing has to make a quantum leap from where they are today or that will be the next big thing. It just has a coolness factor higher then anything else I have seen so far. Sure there are those who have loyalties to Palm but for every one of those people there are multiples of prospective clients who have no loyalties so far because they are new to the smartphone market. Who will capture those? Will it be Palm with hip new products or Apple with the iPod halo effect?

Am I totally off base?
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    You asked, you received

Cingular: $1500 server/maintenance, $99 CAL
    wait, is this something new? when we bought good about 2 months ago, we had to buy the server including 5 user licenses. i only have a need for 3 GL users right now, but i was forced to buy 5. i was hoping we could just buy the server, and then pay for individual licenses as needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by islandsnow
    wait, is this something new? when we bought good about 2 months ago, we had to buy the server including 5 user licenses. i only have a need for 3 GL users right now, but i was forced to buy 5. i was hoping we could just buy the server, and then pay for individual licenses as needed.
    Cingular was announced over a month and half ago. Sprint was announced last week, but Sprint decided to cell licenses in blocks of 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    GoodGuy -

Would GoodLink provide wireless conduit for Notes databases?
    We announced the acquisition of JP Mobile, which will give us a Notes product, but release is not scheduled until 2H06
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12