Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I am considering to buy a digital camera with 640x480 30f/s movie capability with SD card so I can just stick it into my Treo 650 and play the clips on it with TCPMP. I am looking at Casio EX-Z750 and Canon SD500.

Casio records AVI with MPEG4 codec with stereo sound. Here is a sample:
    http://dcresource.com/reviews/casio/...w/CIMG0124.AVI

Canon records AVI with Motion JPEG codec with mono sound (only 11Khz 8 bit, quite mediocre).
    Here is a sample:
    http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pssd500/...g/MVI_0009.AVI

Here is the thing: When I try to play these samples on my Treo, they skip. I am using version 0.65 of TCPMP. Can someone try them and let me know if they play ok?

Thanks,
    Raphael
    Last edited by rpungin; 05/26/2005 at 10:10 AM.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Can anyone please try playing these clips on their Treo with TCPMP and let me know if they skip?
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    yes, they both skip (with 0.65). With benchmarking, the Casio clip runs at 76% speed whereas the Canon clip runs at 48%.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Well, so much for not needing to re-encode files with TCPMP... I hope this will be fixed soon...

Raphael
    Quote Originally Posted by rpungin
    Can anyone please try playing these clips on their Treo with TCPMP and let me know if they skip?
    I tried the casio and ran at 91.02% It didnt run as smooth as on Media player but pretty close.

I'm using "w" version
    Canon ran at 54.20% and did skip several times.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rpungin
    Well, so much for not needing to re-encode files with TCPMP... I hope this will be fixed soon...

Raphael
    I doubt this will be "fixed soon". It already is pushing through double the fps that I was getting with any other player. I think we're running up against limitations of the treo.

Some codecs might be faster than others, and that's what you're running up against.

In addition, some people are overclocking to help with the dropped frames.

Ohh... there's also some stuff in a few threads about increasing available heap to help performance.

TCPMP isn't a panecea, but it's a whole lot better than what we've had.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!