1.    #1  
    I recently bought and installed Backup Buddy VFS on my Treo 650 so I can backup to the SD card. Every time I do backup on the Treo, I keep getting this same error message towards the end which reads "Unable to complete operation for Casey_Cheung (This operation only supports files. (0x2A12))." Continue? Yes or No.

When I press "Continue" after getting the error message, the application progresses further and the screen reads "Removing Orphan Files". What does Removing Orphan Files mean?

What do the above messages mean? Is this because Backup Buddy cannot backup music and picture files? I have PTunes music, plus various pictures and videos stored on the SD card.

Is it possible to get rid of the offending error messages, short of removing my music and picture files (if that happens to be the reason for the error messages?).

With the above error messages, I'm wondering if anything is actually getting backed up, or whether only certain files are not getting backed up. How do I check on this?

By the way, in addition to Backup Buddy VFS on my Treo 650, I also have Backup Buddy 2 for Windows installed on my desktop computer, if that makes any difference.

Thanks, Casey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    I keep getting this same error message towards the end which reads "Unable to complete operation for Casey_Cheung (This operation only supports files. (0x2A12))." Continue? Yes or No.
    Never struck that before. If you look at the files on your Treo with FileZ or similar, do you see a file called Casey_Cheung?

What does Removing Orphan Files mean?
    It means it's removing backed-up versions of files that no longer exist on your Treo (orphans) from the SD card.

With the above error messages, I'm wondering if anything is actually getting backed up, or whether only certain files are not getting backed up. How do I check on this?
    If you have the Pro version of BBVFS, you can switch to Advanced mode and switch to Restore, which will present you with a list of files that have been backed up. Alternatively, I believe even the non-Pro version creates a log, which you shuold be able to view using the (surprise!) View Log (menu/L) option within BBVFS.

I'm pretty sure those last two points are covered in the BBVFS manual. You did read the manual, didn't you?
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I also use BackupBuddy VFS v. 3.07.

From time to time, I've gotten backup "hangs" like you experienced.

The only way I have found to get rid of the hangs, is to remove the offending the program (sometimes the message actually advises you which file/program its hanging on...sometimes not) or perform hard-reset and re-sync everything (note: my experience has been soft-resets do not help anything when it comes to fixing BackupBuddy problems).

I know its a pain, but you'll get two benefits: 1) usually BackupBuddy will be running troublefree again, and 2) you'll free up some RAM in the process.

I know this probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but its worked for me in the not-to-distant past. Like 5 days ago, when upgrading to a new SD card, BackupBuddy was "hanging" on some Snappermail files. Uninstalled Snappermail, re-installed it, then voila!...problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by guncollector
    I know this probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but its worked for me in the not-to-distant past. Like 5 days ago, when upgrading to a new SD card, BackupBuddy was "hanging" on some Snappermail files. Uninstalled Snappermail, re-installed it, then voila!...problem solved.
    Ofttimes, all that is needed is a soft (or sometimes a warm) reset, to release any locks on files that cannot be backed up. I always do a soft reset before backing up prior to doing any really "serious sh1t" on my Treo.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  5.    #5  
    "Never struck that before. If you look at the files on your Treo with FileZ or similar, do you see a file called Casey_Cheung?"

Hello Jetkins / GunCollector:

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, using FileZ, I do see a file called "Casey_Cheung". Below this file appears to be folders "Archive, Backup, Backup.txt, data". Immediately below "data" are a bunch more file names. I don't think I want to delete the "Casey_Cheung" file, since it looks important.

I also tried doing a soft reset when I get the error message, however, this doesn't work because the same message keeps reappearing.

By the way, I have BackupBuddyVFS Professional 3 for $19.95. When I go to the Advanced view, I do see a list of files. I'm assuming this list means those are the files that actually got backed up? Okay, you got me...I really should read the manual!

I would hate to do a hard reset simply to get rid of this error message. I've literally spent weeks and weeks customizing my T650 to where it's at now. I also have SnapperMail, so maybe a file within SnapperMail might be the cause.

Maybe I should try to do a "warm reset" when the error message arrives. How do I go about doing a "warm reset"? I've never done this before. Should I try doing this at the point of receiving the error message? Thanks!
    Yes, using FileZ, I do see a file called "Casey_Cheung". Below this file appears to be folders "Archive, Backup, Backup.txt, data". Immediately below "data" are a bunch more file names. I don't think I want to delete the "Casey_Cheung" file, since it looks important.
    OK, we might be geting somewhere. That Casey_Cheung directory, and the file/directories inside it, should only exist on your SD card under the PALM/Backup directory. If you're seeing them under "Internal", e.g. in the RAM on your Treo, then something is really screwed up, especially since AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $PalmOS$ $doesn$'$t$ $even$ $support$ $directories$ $in$ $RAM$!

To avoid any possible confusion, perhaps you might like to remove your card before firing up FileZ again and double-checking if Casey_Cheung has disappeared. If it's still there, I'll be amazed, and I have no idea how you get rid of it without a hard reset since it's a logical should-not-occur condition.

What I think is more likely is that the directory exists on your SD card, and that BBVFS is somehow choking on its own backup files. If that's the case, then my recommended action would be to simply delete the parent Backup directory and let BBVFS start afresh.

Let us know how you get on.
  7.    #7  
    Hi Jetkins,

When I remove the SD card, I no longer see the "Casey_Cheung" file, therefore it only exists on my SD card as you mentioned.

I don't know what you mean by "simply delete the parent Backup directory and let BBVFS start afresh." Can you give me step by step instructions on this?

Thanks! -Casey.
    Write to the BB folks. There is a fix. Mine suddenly stopped working on May 6th (no idea why May 6th but I just noticed it yesterday). I emailed them and they send me a new version (V3.1) and everything is fine again. I suggested they have a "backup failed" message when you do an autobackup.
    When I remove the SD card, I no longer see the "Casey_Cheung" file, therefore it only exists on my SD card as you mentioned.
    As I suspected. BBVFS places its backups in a directory called PALM/Backup on your SD card, and creates a subdirectory for each unit based on the Hoysync ID. This allows it to place backups of several different devices on a sigle SD card - apparently your Treo has a hotsync ID of "Casey Cheung," hence the subdirectory name Casey_Cheung.

I don't know what you mean by "simply delete the parent Backup directory and let BBVFS start afresh." Can you give me step by step instructions on this?
    Simply use FileZ to delete the Backup directory, and with it the Casey_Cheung directory and everything in it. In FileZ, tap the name of the Backup directory, and observe that the triangle indicator alongside the name turns black to indicate that you have selected that directory. Now hit Menu/D to delete it. Finally, run BBVFS again and it will recreate the directories anew as it takes a fresh backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    I emailed them and they send me a new version (V3.1)
    Note that 3.1 has not officially been released yet - what you probably received was 3.1RC1 (Release Candidate 1). This can also bee downloaded from their web site at www.bluenomad.com
    Where on their site did you find 3.1? All I see is 3.07? Is there a beta area?
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Note that 3.1 has not officially been released yet - what you probably received was 3.1RC1 (Release Candidate 1). This can also bee downloaded from their web site at www.bluenomad.com
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Where on their site did you find 3.1? All I see is 3.07? Is there a beta area?
    The link is in the Latest News column under May 5. Here's a direct link
  13.    #13  
    Quote: "Simply use FileZ to delete the Backup directory, and with it the Casey_Cheung directory and everything in it. In FileZ, tap the name of the Backup directory, and observe that the triangle indicator alongside the name turns black to indicate that you have selected that directory. Now hit Menu/D to delete it. Finally, run BBVFS again and it will recreate the directories anew as it takes a fresh backup."

Hello Jetkins,

You are a genius! I followed your detailed instructions, and deleted the offending "Casey_Cheung" file from the SD card using Filez. Now I no longer get the error message when doing a backup. I still get the "Removing Orphan Files" message, but nothing hangs now.

I also double checked to see if all other applications on the card are working okay, and all is normal. Now I know what to do if I get that same error message again.

I would not have figured out what to do if not for your helpful advice. Thanks a bunch! -Casey
    I followed your detailed instructions, and deleted the offending "Casey_Cheung" file from the SD card using Filez. Now I no longer get the error message when doing a backup. I still get the "Removing Orphan Files" message, but nothing hangs now.

I would not have figured out what to do if not for your helpful advice. Thanks a bunch! -Casey
    Glad to help. You will always see the "Removing Orphan Files" message, as that is an integral part of the backup process. BBVFS has to remove any orphans so that the backup on your card accurately reflects what's on your Treo. If orphans were not removed, and you needed to restore everything, it would try to load everything that you had ever had installed, regardless of whether you had subsequently deleted it.

Of course, this means that if a file is inadvertantly deleted, and you don't notice it before doing another backup, it will be removed from your backup as well. To allow yourself to restore even in that situation, go into Advanced mode in BBVFS and select the "Archive orphaned files" option in Preferences. This tells BBVFS to move any orphans to a separate area on your card instead of deleting them. But you'll still see the "removing orphan files" message.
  15.    #15  
    Jetkins,

Thanks a lot for your additional information...you've also inspired me to read the manual! I still would not have figured out the previous fix if not for your help.

By the way, do you also use Backup Buddy 2 for Windows? I mistakenly bought this product thinking it was meant for the Treo handheld. It turns out to be for the desktop computer instead.

If you do have it, do you find BB2 for Windows useful? Do the two programs work in conjunction with each other, BB2 for Windows and BBVFS for Treo? I'm assuming both programs can also work independently of each other as well. I'm just trying to understand how to make the most of having both applications.

Thanks again! -Casey.
    Yes, I use both. BB2 on the PC replaces the standard backup conduit, giving you a much more robust and flexible backup via hotsync. It allows you to restore your Palm to a point in time, or to restore specific applications and their associated databases, and all sort of other options as well. I've used it for full and partial restores in the past, without a hitch. Since you've already bought it, I recomend you go ahead and install it - it can't hurt, and it may just save your bacon one day.
    I love happy endings.