Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    I just dont see it...
    I set my system to 312 which is the default for a Treo 650.
    I have underclocked most of my apps that I really dont require to run at default speeds on my device as well as on my SD card.
    I have increased TomTom6 to 507...

Well it keeps crashing...
    I have read that many of you have overclocked your devices top 507 with no problem.
    Why cant I and or what could I be doing wrong?
    Thanks

try a setting lower- each chip is different.

Just to reiterate what some have explained above it's a crap shoot. My brother in law works for intel- he's actually in the department in charge of increasing yields. His group works to make as many chips as fast as possible.

Basically all the chips get made on the same line- but then they sell the same chips at a few different speeds. Say they sell a 312, 416, and 520 speed chip- they ATTEMPT to make each chip capable of running at 520. If it comes out perfectly then it can probably run at speeds even higher than 520.But if a dust particle hits the thing or the etch doesn't go just right they just can't get 520 out of the thing. So if it can't pass the 520 test they test it at 416. If it passes 416 then they label it 416. If it fails 416 then they try it at 312. If it works at 312 then they label it as 312- and if not they stick it in a glass block and make it a keychain- LOL.

So the moral is the advertised speed is the minimum and if you are lucky you can perhaps get a chip that will run faster. For example a 312 chip might run at 415 but couldn't quite pass the test for 416- so they just wont sell it as a 416. But you could overclock that chip to 415 and it would be fine.

Also- beyond what the fab actually yields they also sometimes down lable things as lessor chips. So for example if the fab was running really good one month and made 50% high speed, 40 % medium speed, and 10% low speed Yet Palm placed an order for almost all low speed chips- then they would label what they need to as low speed and the rest as the high speed to keep in stock. So in that case people might actually get a chip labeled 312 that can run over 416, over 520, and maybe even higher.

So it all depends on the luck of the draw how fast YOUR chip can run. It might die at 313 or it might work fine into the 500's and 600's. And there seems to be no way to predict with the treo until you get it to crash.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    My brother in law works for intel- he's actually in the department in charge of increasing yields. His group works to make as many chips as fast as possible.
    The Core 2 Duo has rocked since launch. My E6300 went over 3 GHz. Both of my E6600s go well over 3.3 GHz. Thank your brother-in-law for me. He's doing good work.

Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    I am using pxaclocker on my 700p.[/url]
    PXA Clocker doesn't work with the 700P. The developer is unresponsive so don't bother Emailing him.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
    The Core 2 Duo has rocked since launch. My E6300 went over 3 GHz. Both of my E6600s go well over 3.3 GHz. Thank your brother-in-law for me. He's doing good work.
    I'll let him know- LOL- Actually he's a complete hardass about details. (he just tortures his pool guy, the landscaper, anyone he deals with- ) I guess that's why he got the job!

You actually have a decent shot at getting early runs to clock very fast (compared to the official speed) like you are seeing. Although they eventually use new lines or processes to create the higher speed chips in a product line, the first few generations all come off the same exact line with no changes (except my brother in law screaming at them to tweak a million settings- LOL)- so right now the Core 2 Duos are I think sold at like 1.5 to 2.4 right? - but the reality is that line is probably set up so that perfect chips are 3.0, 3.3, maybe 3.5. But they just assume the ramp up yields of those higher speeds will be so low that they can't rely on making enough to sell. So some lucky few are getting 3.0 or 3.3 chips like you got and would never know unless they juiced 'em up

I always buy the slowest chip in the family with the highest advertised bus speed and largest cache and see what I get.

Quote Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
    PXA Clocker doesn't work with the 700P. The developer is unresponsive so don't bother Emailing him.
    figured out eventually- it seems really close but no cigar. Bummer....
  4. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    anyone tried this on a 755p yet!?
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Won't work on the 700, so it stands to bet it won't on the 755.. Author hasn't updated it in about a year now I think.
    i have it on my 755p and set it to 468 i havnt had any problems or resets
    It will not run on my 755. Apparently the CPU is not supported.
    I just put PXA Clocker on my 680. Current settings:

System Default
    Sys = 182; Bus = 182 (=sys); Mem = 182 (=Bus is checked)
    Turbo = Sys x 3.0
    so my effective clock is 546 MHz

I tried a few combinations of higher SYS/lower turbo settings, but this seems to be the best I can get it without crashing. I certainly haven't put it through all its paces yet, but it seems stable - though it makes the camera freak out a little bit (nothing permanent, though). To fix the problem, in PXA clocker options > settings I had to check "Show hidden applications" and set the _blue_ "camera" option back to default (in my case, sys=208, bus=sys, mem=bus, turbo=sys x1.5). It worked fine after that.

This is a refurb'ed Treo I got from AT&T about a month ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by spyguitar View Post
    I just put PXA Clocker on my 680. Current settings:

System Default
    Sys = 182; Bus = 182 (=sys); Mem = 182 (=Bus is checked)
    Turbo = Sys x 3.0
    so my effective clock is 546 MHz

I tried a few combinations of higher SYS/lower turbo settings, but this seems to be the best I can get it without crashing. I certainly haven't put it through all its paces yet, but it seems stable - though it makes the camera freak out a little bit (nothing permanent, though). To fix the problem, in PXA clocker options > settings I had to check "Show hidden applications" and set the _blue_ "camera" option back to default (in my case, sys=208, bus=sys, mem=bus, turbo=sys x1.5). It worked fine after that.

This is a refurb'ed Treo I got from AT&T about a month ago.
    Erokay.. Did you read this thread? It doesn't work with the 680. When the 680 won't turn back on, you'll see why that's said over and over. You'll need to do a reset then disable PXAClocker. Some folks, including me, thought it was working okay, but basically what happens is that if it's enabled after resetting, it pretty much locks up the Treo next time it's off.

In other words, it *might* be okay if you use the Lite version since it disables itself every reset, but if you actually buy it, it's a pain.
    Anybody has any idea about how the peripherals work?

The PXA Clocker default seems to enable the control of the below peripherals:

PWM0
    AC97
    STU
    FFU
    Timer
    MMC
    I2C
    LCD
    KeyPad
    IntMem
    MemCtl
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234