Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If you didnt find it already here it is http://www.hexview.com/pxaclocker/download.html
    Can any one tell me what the "bus", "mem', "turbo" categories are for on pxa clocker?

the Bus says 156 sys,

the mem says 156 with bus cheked,

Turbo says sys x3.0 with half turbo unchecked
    If you don't know what you're doing, you more then likely shouldn't be messing with it. It can and will burn out your CPU and freeze your Treo very easliy if set wrong.
    It is rude of you to generalize and assume that I do not know what I am doing. It is overstepping polite boundaries to further tell me what I should not be doing. I have read everything I could find on the board relating the pxa clocker. I have bumped up the speed of 3 programs that run slowly because of large databases and it is working very well.

I realize that your caution may be of good intentions but please try to express yourself in a friendlier manner for the good of board.

Can any one tell me what the "bus", "mem', "turbo" categories are for on pxa clocker?

the Bus says 156 sys,

the mem says 156 with bus cheked,

Turbo says sys x3.0 with half turbo unchecked
    Good response Johnpaulritter. This is a place to learn. Apparently the responder is not as up to speed as some of the more technically understanding members that have been able to explain the risks and likelyhood of "burning up" the processor. I'll be eager to see the reply you receive to your question because I want to learn this stuff too.
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    ok.. so I have just discovered this great program... so I have it running at 507 and everything is running smooth as silk... my question is, is this not healthy to do? I keep reading you guys talking about burning out and I'm getting a bit scared... should I lower it down from 507???
    Quote Originally Posted by KAOSWLF
    ok.. so I have just discovered this great program... so I have it running at 507 and everything is running smooth as silk... my question is, is this not healthy to do? I keep reading you guys talking about burning out and I'm getting a bit scared... should I lower it down from 507???
    as far as running it lower then 507 that's up to you but i doubt if the treo will let itself burnout because i believe it will reset.. are you dealing with the treo getting warmer then usual ? if not i wouldn't worry about it but if your truly scared then just run the apps that need the help at 507 instead of the sys default .. that is if you have it set up that way....
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by KAOSWLF
    There is no doubt the an overclocked treos processor will wear out faster that a Treo running at 312. I myself only overclock the programs that are slow and not the whole system. Most everything works very fast on my Treo anyway so the general system dosent need to be overclocked. I have an 80 meg encyclopedia, a medical dictionary and the web browser that run slow, but run a lot faster when clocked to 468. If my Treo is built to last 4 or 5 years and clocking causes it to only last 2, 3 or 4 years I will not care because I have never kept a device longer than 2 years anyway.

After playing with the "bus", "mem", "turbo" and "skip quit" settings for a bit I'm going to take a stab at guessing their function.

This is a shot in the dark guess, all guesses are in blue:

I believe the "Bus" value allows for greater power in transfering data via cable. If the program in which you wish to overclock functions via cable such as card export and the rate of data transferd by the USB (univerdsal serial bus) is hidered by the BUS portion then overclocker can focus power there by lowering the "turbo" multiplied number while increasing the system value.

If the program in which you wish to overclock accesses stored memory via a bus I believe it would be benificial to check the "bus" check box under "mem".
    I think "turbo" is used to split the values to allow fine tuning the rate of clocking for the most effcient settings.

And of course check the box next to skip quit if the program you are clocking is launched by a link such as those used with powerrun, zlauncher, and megalauncher.
    let me know how it goes because i just don't even bother with them.. simply because of not knowing..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    You are close on the bus, but it's actually something internal. In computers the bus's are what connect chips to the mainboard. In the case of the 650, the bus is what connects the main cpu (the pxa270) to the mainboard. The bus speed is then multiplied to achieve the total operating clock speed. In most computers a higher bus yields better performance, but of course it is still a balancing act.

The mem, is of course for the memory speed. You typically just want to have the memory match the cpu so that they can keep up with eachother for the best performance. But it's not necessary that they do match.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    The mem, is of course for the memory speed.
    Does this value reflect memory for internal and external? And since there is a bus check box in that category I assume stored memory is accessed via a bus with some programs and in some it is not. So I would assume it would be benificial to check that box if the program in which you wished to clock accessed memory via a bus. Do you know in what circumstances a program would or wouldnt use a bus.
    damn...so tempted to overclock my treo! is it really that big of a difference when you over clock it?
    Well its only slightly noticable in my 80 meg encyclopdia and steadman medical that when I press a button the appears in maybey in 1/2 second instead a full second, barely worth it and with Xiino web wrowser a page is downloaded in 25 seconds instead of 30 seconds, not much of a diference there because Xiino web browser is already pretty fast. And for applications that run quickly anyway there is no point in useing an overclocker. The most notable diference is with the stock Treo web blazed I have clock it to 468 (which is the highest I can go) and I have downloaded various pages 3 times each, 3 with clocker on and 3 with clocker off and on 5 different size pages and I averaged a 15 percent increase in speed. Which becomes very worth it when downloading large pages.
    TCPMP will only run smoothly and look perfect for me if overclocked. I encode video at 350kbps and 24fps so i guess it needs the extra juice.
    I pulled together a little bit of info just incase some one might fing it useful,,,

The effective PXA Processor frequency depends on other frequencies, such as System, Memory, and Bus. System frequency is a multiple of hardware base clock frequency that cannot be changed. Bus frequency is internal processor bus frequency. It depends on system frequency and used for inter-processor communications. Mem is memory bus frequency. It depends, in turn, on system bus frequency and it is used to clock system memory. Turbo (it is an Intel term) is a multiplier for System frequency. Turbo frequency is used to clock the CPU. Half turbo is a divider (also IntelPXA feature) that can divide resulting CPU frequency by 2. Skip Quit box means "don't change frequency when this application quits". There are quite a few peripherals in Intel PXA, some of them are described on PXA Clocker website.

If anyone is interested, you can take a look at PXA270 datasheet here:
    http://www.intel.com/design/embedded...ors/302302.htm
    I am running my system at 507 and everything runs fine but the phone part it resets when I receive a call so I put that app down to 468 and everything fine. I can definitly tell the speed difference.
    I'm running at 468 to be safe. Also noticed when I have it enabled and I go to camera, if I press the red hangup button to turn off the screen and press it again to turn it on, my phone hangs in the camera app.

Another bug I noticed is that when I check the "set skip quit" and then exit PXA and go back in, the "set skip" becomes unchecked. Anyone have this issue?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    sorry to resurict an old thread but this looks like the most appropriate thread.

I am using pxaclocker on my 700p.

I have push email so the battery takes a beating.

So I'm actually looking to underclock the treo where I can to save battery life.

So how low do folks go on the basic apps before anything ugly happens? Eg- can I turn the phone app down? the built in launcher ? Messaging?

any thoughts.

BTW- current download link is:
    http://www.vistabug.com/pxaclocker
    Global Posts
    683 Global Posts
    I just dont see it...
    I set my system to 312 which is the default for a Treo 650.
    I have underclocked most of my apps that I really dont require to run at default speeds on my device as well as on my SD card.
    I have increased TomTom6 to 507...

Well it keeps crashing...
    I have read that many of you have overclocked your devices top 507 with no problem.
    Why cant I and or what could I be doing wrong?
    Thanks
    JW
    Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    I just dont see it...
    I set my system to 312 which is the default for a Treo 650.
    I have underclocked most of my apps that I really dont require to run at default speeds on my device as well as on my SD card.
    I have increased TomTom6 to 507...

Well it keeps crashing...
    I have read that many of you have overclocked your devices top 507 with no problem.
    Why cant I and or what could I be doing wrong?
    Thanks
    It crashes when, all the time, or just in Tom Tom?

I personally never set mine beyond 467 I think it was.... I tried higher speeds and it was unstable.

It doesn't work at all on the 680 so I haven't used PXAClocker in months.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast