1.    #1  
    is the 1xrtt connection fast enough to control a home PC running windows xp from a treo 650? if so, what program do you all recommend??
    If you don't need to do something really intense and fancy, PalmVNC does the job. e.g. I use it sometimes to shutdown my XP box which is in an other room.

http://palmvnc2.free.fr/

- Sid
    Unlocked 650
  3.    #3  
    interesting... but do i compromise the security on my home pc at all by doing this?

and i'm also wondering what i'd actually use it for. hmmm.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Anytime you expose a service out on the internet you run some risk. To my knowledge I've never had a machine compromised by vnc. I don't recall hearing any earthshattering vulnerabilities announced for it lately either.

I use palmvnc via a vpn connection to control some windows servers here at work when I'm out and can't get to a computer. It's not a speed demon, but it is useable enough.
    To clarify... I actually use PalmVNC over a bluetooth connection to my XP. I don't like to make my XP box accessible directly over DSL either. It's sitting behind a NATing router, not bullet-proof, but much better than a sitting duck!

- Sid
    Unlocked 650