Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just got VZ 650 and I have ptunes from my 600. Is there an advantage of realplayer or ptunes?

Thanks
    there's really not much comparing the two. pocket tunes streams shoutcast, is skinnable, and is generally better.

all realplayer for palm can do is play mp3s. it doesn't stream anything at all or do anything fancy like that. it doesn't even stream real audio. in fact, as far as i know, there's no way currently to stream real audio on the palm. hopefully that will change soon!
    Also, the pTunes has far superior playlist-making capabilities. pTunes also has bookmarking capability (both shoutcast & mp3), where RealPlayer doesn't.

Unfortunately, RealPlayer is embedded in the ROM, so absent a firmware upgrade, you can't get rid of it.
    Yes, I also agree that PTunes is generally better for various reasons. I have the deluxe version of PTunes myself, and I'm very happy with it versus RealPlayer.

PTunes will automatically alphabetize all songs installed, which I like. Whereas RealPlayer does not alphabetize, but instead will place the songs in descending order, whereby most recent download is at very bottom.

PTunes also has a graphic equalizer function...very cool! I can actually hear the difference when using the graphic equalizer. RealPlayer does not have this. PTunes also has a "Bass" setting which I use depending on whether a particular song sounds better with this on. RealPlayer doesn't have any type of bass setting from what I can tell.

In RealPlayer, when I tap on the Preference setting, this immediately puts my Treo 650 into a soft reset...very freakin' annoying!!! I've read other posts that say the same thing.

I like PTunes' design and customization features...way more options than RealPlayer.

I don't personally use Shoutcast myself, but I know this is another feature of PTunes.

Just my .02 cents. -Casey.
  5.    #5  
    thanks for the update! Glad I already had ptunes for my 600!
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    There is only one thing I'm finding about Pocket Tunes that isn't as "good" as RealPlayer so far. I'm trying to underclock these apps for battery life purposes, and ptunes seems to degrade more when switching between apps than RealPlayer. Not sure yet if this is important <g> - but thought I'd mention I've noticed it!

Danita
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danitaz
    ptunes seems to degrade more when switching between apps than RealPlayer.
    Well, not any longer - I'm entitled to lifetime upgrades to Ptunes, and noticed there is a new version - new version of Ptunes is very smooth moving around applications, etc. One thing I find amazing (which I don't remember working well on the T600, is that online processes can happen while music is playing (both Ptunes and RealPlayer). Chatter is checking mail in the background, and I use a SyncML client to update my calendar and address book OTA - I can do that while music is playing with barely a blip!

Of particular note, as I've been testing Pocket-Tunes on my T650, I accidentally pushed the side button, thinking it would take me to Pocket Tunes - instead it took me to RealPlayer and two different songs were playing over the top of each other without any blips or drags
    Quote Originally Posted by guncollector
    Also, the pTunes has far superior playlist-making capabilities. pTunes also has bookmarking capability (both shoutcast & mp3), where RealPlayer doesn't.

Unfortunately, RealPlayer is embedded in the ROM, so absent a firmware upgrade, you can't get rid of it.

Customize your rom.. search for Shadowmites rom tools.

I deleted RealPlayer from ROM and PTunes is the only thing I run for audio!

Oh yea, pTunes won't run from ROM so it has to stay in ram
    Palm V -> Pocket PC -> Treo 650 GSM
    ----------------- ^
    Slipped to the "Dark Side" for a while, But I'm back
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ
    Customize your rom.. search for Shadowmites rom tools.

I deleted RealPlayer from ROM and PTunes is the only thing I run for audio!
    I just might give that a try - and get rid of VersaMail too! That's one of the biggest wastes of space I've seen - if I took it out of ROM I could put version 2.6 back on there for when I just want to "test" stuff with VersaMail!

Danita
    One thing that annoys me about Ptunes is that you can't use the side button to stop music while you're in another app like you can from Realplayer. That's a real handy feature of realplayer, because otherwise you have to switch to Ptunes first and then hit the stop button...I liked being able to immediately turn off music without futzing around to get back into the program. Side volume buttons work in both though, so it's not all bad.
    I have a question for the PTune users. Has anyone ever tried the Volume Boost feature? This works amazingly well. I've tried the +3db and +6db settings, and this noticeably increases volume considerably.

My question is whether the increased volume setting might damage the Treo's built in speaker. I like to use the built in speaker often, but I'm afraid the increased volume might damage it.

I also like to use external speakers, such as those made by Altec, etc. If the Volume Boost is on, I'm guessing this might be okay since the external speaker should have no effect on the Treo.
    You can enable the console in the background so that when you hit a selected hard button, the console comes up allowing you to switch songs or stop the music without leaving the current app. Very handy
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    You can enable the console in the background so that when you hit a selected hard button, the console comes up allowing you to switch songs or stop the music without leaving the current app. Very handy
    Yeah, I've tried playing around with that but wasn't able to find a good solution, maybe because I've got some many other things mapped to the hard buttons that it just didn't seem to work seamlessly. The other thing is that this still leaves you having to dismiss the keyguard. I just like being able to click the side button to stop and play music in the background. If Realplayer can do it, maybe it will be incorporated into a future version of Ptunes?
    Check out Aeroplayer...the sound quality is much better than ptunes.
    For all the reasons already mentioned Ptunes is far and away better. However I still use Realplayer in order to sync MP3s with my PC. Realplayer on Windows has a sync feature which can reencode MP3s down to, say, 112kps, and seamlessly transfer the resized files to the Treo. This effectively about doubles the number of MP3s I can store on my SD card (most of my "raw" MP3s are at 192kbps). I then use Ptunes for ordinary use.
    I also use RealPlayer simply for downloading music from my desktop computer, and then use PTunes to play the music. Is there any other application other than RealPlayer for doing the downloading of music? Does PTunes work for downloading music?
    I used to think pTunes was great. Now I use TCPMP (The Core Pocket Media Player), which plays not only mp3, but AAC files (mp4), and is FREE. It also plays video files...

TCPMP v0.65r:
    http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp/test
    Last edited by axiomjunglist; 05/20/2005 at 11:50 AM.
    You might also want to check out AeroPlayer. Their main programmer used to work for PalmSource, and the guy who did the AeroPlayer audio filters has a ton of experience (he also developed some of the Amiga and Nintendo64 audio stuff).
    Quote Originally Posted by psisquared
    One thing that annoys me about Ptunes is that you can't use the side button to stop music while you're in another app like you can from Realplayer.
    In a quick pinch (like when my boss rolls in) I just slide the top mute button. Not ideal but it's easy enough to fix once he's gone. I wouldn't pick Real over pTunes based on this one feature.

As for the vloume boost reaised above, I have the first (2x) setting set and have been jamming ofr months now witout any deteriation in the speaker.

As for the "bring up console" feature within pTunes, I assigned the red power button. One press brings up the console so I can adjust volume/got to next or previsu song. Two puches of the off button and it's off. It only took about two days for the 2 hits is off to become habital for me.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendrinks
    For all the reasons already mentioned Ptunes is far and away better. However I still use Realplayer in order to sync MP3s with my PC. Realplayer on Windows has a sync feature which can reencode MP3s down to, say, 112kps, and seamlessly transfer the resized files to the Treo. This effectively about doubles the number of MP3s I can store on my SD card (most of my "raw" MP3s are at 192kbps). I then use Ptunes for ordinary use.
    GD.. any chance we could see a step-by-step on this? Thanks...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast