Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    A Cingular rep told me that my unlocked ATT Treo 600 will not work if I switch my service plan to Cingular. Can this be true? They are both GSM systems and the phone is working now on the Cingular network.
    Quote Originally Posted by Androw
    A Cingular rep told me that my unlocked ATT Treo 600 will not work if I switch my service plan to Cingular. Can this be true? They are both GSM systems and the phone is working now on the Cingular network.
    That is bunk! I used an unlocked Treo600 from T-Mo on ATT just fine.
    Does anyone know whether an Orange wireless branded Treo 600 will work on Cingular in North America? I am interested in switching to GSM and wanted to have a branded Treo that would stand out; like one from an overseas carrier. I know the Orange model will work on North America GSM frequencies because it's quadband, but not sure if it has to be unlocked first or not in order to accept a Cingular SIM.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Depends on what you mean by the "Cingular network" There is a smaller network you should be able to access. But, you need a Cingular SIM to access all the towers of the full network correctly. The correct SIM card evidently does not work in the ATT T600. At least, that is what I was told.

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    If your phone is unlocked it will work on ANY carriers network with their SIM card. BUT it has to be unlocked!!!!!
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I know the phone will work but the Cingular rep told me the data would not work. What do you think?
    Hey guys,
    the Cingular rep is full of sh**. I just got my brothers ATT Treo 600, unlocked it, and added my Cingular sim card from my other phone. Everything works fine, data and voice!! I didn't even have to reprogram the phone number to have it call the voicemail!! The key is to unlock the Treo..
    My UNLOCKED ATT Treo 600 worked just fine on Vodafone, and runs data and all the toys on Cingular's service. Cingular is evil tho, they bought ATT's network just to start nickle-and-diming the customers. If you call their customer disservice department to do anything with your ATT account (like I still have) they will tell you that your account needs to be "upgraded" to the Cingular side (the billing systems are still separate and will NEVER be combined) and that will entail another year+ agreement. Once that "upgrade" is done, you are now subject to insane collections of $2.99 charges and pure extorsion on the data plans. Text messages? ATT: free to receive, 10 cents to send. Cingular? 10 cents to SEND AND RECEIVE. Data? ATT: $24.99 unlimited, no matter what device. Cingular? For devices without any "normal" web browser or keyboard... $29.99 unlimited. Oh, you have a color screen, or a keyboard, or a PDA? $79.99 for the SAME PLAN. Cingular's Sim cards are capable of telling the network what device they are in, and the billing will be "adjusted" if they discover that you start using the cheaper data service with a more-capabled device. Even the sales reps are being screwed, as when someone has an issue with their ATT handset, they are told (By customer disservice's trained monkeys) that they need to "upgrade" and they MUST buy a new handset... One that is Cingular locked, not ATT locked, even tho both are exactly the same. The same thing is being forced on the sales people, and they are LOSING sales because the customers don't want to have to cough up ANOTHER $100+ and then be on the hook for yet another year or more of contract.

Talk directly to the reps in the stores, maybe you can find one that will set you up with an ATT sim card. (They DO still exist) and can be activated with a little bit of work by the sales tech. It depends on how disgruntled he is tho. I got lucky and found a great one, he helped set me up with everything I wanted, with no extensions, and I'm saving over $80 per month compared to my previous settings. AND I now have unlimited data for both my Treos for $25 each! I love the ATT system.

--Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by geordi
    My UNLOCKED ATT Treo 600 worked just fine on Vodafone, and runs data and all the toys on Cingular's service. Cingular is evil tho, they bought ATT's network just to start nickle-and-diming the customers. If you call their customer disservice department to do anything with your ATT account (like I still have) they will tell you that your account needs to be "upgraded" to the Cingular side (the billing systems are still separate and will NEVER be combined) and that will entail another year+ agreement. Once that "upgrade" is done, you are now subject to insane collections of $2.99 charges and pure extorsion on the data plans. Text messages? ATT: free to receive, 10 cents to send. Cingular? 10 cents to SEND AND RECEIVE. Data? ATT: $24.99 unlimited, no matter what device. Cingular? For devices without any "normal" web browser or keyboard... $29.99 unlimited. Oh, you have a color screen, or a keyboard, or a PDA? $79.99 for the SAME PLAN. Cingular's Sim cards are capable of telling the network what device they are in, and the billing will be "adjusted" if they discover that you start using the cheaper data service with a more-capabled device. Even the sales reps are being screwed, as when someone has an issue with their ATT handset, they are told (By customer disservice's trained monkeys) that they need to "upgrade" and they MUST buy a new handset... One that is Cingular locked, not ATT locked, even tho both are exactly the same. The same thing is being forced on the sales people, and they are LOSING sales because the customers don't want to have to cough up ANOTHER $100+ and then be on the hook for yet another year or more of contract.

Talk directly to the reps in the stores, maybe you can find one that will set you up with an ATT sim card. (They DO still exist) and can be activated with a little bit of work by the sales tech. It depends on how disgruntled he is tho. I got lucky and found a great one, he helped set me up with everything I wanted, with no extensions, and I'm saving over $80 per month compared to my previous settings. AND I now have unlimited data for both my Treos for $25 each! I love the ATT system.

--Jim
    umm, wow. I guess I have a renewed liking of my Palmone branded ATT Treo 600.....locked I assume, at least I've never done anything regarding locking/unlocking.