Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I hope this thread can become a sticky for awhile... but everyone with a verizon treo 650, please post your experiences, particularly problems and things you see missing.

-I have noticed that in the phone mode, the words 'Verizon Wireless' are sometimes replaced with garbage characters that have no meaning. If i do a *228 it will correct itself, or occasionally if i do a soft reset. no big deal, but clearly a bug.

-SMS mode chat feature has NO METHOD for turning off the chat thread view. I would like to have my sms's just listed in order by date/time... and the chat thread screws that up.

-I only use IMAP, not exchange, so Verizon's WirelessSync service would work for me, but it is a bad choice.... limited features, and only access to inbox. I have found Chatter to be much better option.

-Sound quality is disappointing... sounds too electronic and speaker seems to crackle a bit when you turn up the volume.

-Voicemail is set to #1 and they put a voicemail shortcut on key... but i deleted it and now have no way to put it back with the #1 next to the shortcut key... instead it basically sets up another shortcut with a key 'letter' vs. number. I wish there was a way to assign the number keys (at least on the screen) to speed dials. Any ideas?

That's all for now... everyone else please contribute to keep this thread going! Moderators: please make this a sticky for awhile. Thanks!
    My speakerphone crackles too, also during camcorder playback, can't put it on highest volume.
    Regular volume could be a little louder but it's passable.
    Other than that, no problems. Have only had 1 soft reset, only on first day, when using Kinoma player imported from old Tungsten C. I deleted it and it's been smooth ever since.
    I got mine from verizon and its working fine. Did you try using the option key then holding the 1 button when setting the shortcut? The only real beef I have with the Treo 650 is the small amount of built in memory. I bought a 1g SD card to bring it up to speed.
  4.    #4  
    yes, when you are setting shortcut keys... even if you hold down option then the number it will only show the 'letter' instead. did you get yours to work differently???
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by race
    -SMS mode chat feature has NO METHOD for turning off the chat thread view. I would like to have my sms's just listed in order by date/time... and the chat thread screws that up.
    Unless the Verizon 650 is different from every other 650 you can turn off Chat view by going to Preferences, then Chat, then change "Create chats from messages" to "Never". This has been covered several times before.

-I only use IMAP, not exchange, so Verizon's WirelessSync service would work for me, but it is a bad choice.... limited features, and only access to inbox. I have found Chatter to be much better option.
    I think this is pretty much the same for every carrier... Versamail is on every Treo 650 and it's not pretty. The Cingular 650's come with Xpressmail and Sprint ones come with Business Connect (Which I understand is the same product) and that's not a great solution either. I agree that Chatter is a much better solution all around

Brett
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Actually with Verizon, Versamail is an optional install and it will even let you install it to the SD card!. The wireless sync is in the ROM on the Verizon 650.
    I am having problems with the volume during a call, (Verizon 650). The person I am calling can hear me fine, however, the volume of their voice oftens fluctuates. Sometimes I can hear them fine, sometimes I can barely hear them at all. I am not using a headset or speaker phone, just using it as any regular phone. I purchased a Treo 600 last year from T-mobile and had the same problem, I exchanged it 3 times before finally giving up and deciding to wait for the 650. I am now experiencing the same problem, only not quite as bad. The only 3rd party software I have installed is Agendus, Pocket Quicken and Athletes Calculator. However, I did upgrade from a Tungsten-T which transferred a couple of stock programs such as Dialer, Phone, Phone Link, as well as some unknown files such as Ericsson_R520m, Ericsson_T39m, and Sony-E.T68i. Is anyone else experiencing this problem, or can anyone help?
    Sorry, forgot to add that it is definitely not a problem associated with signal. It happens regardless of whether I have 1 bar or 4 bars. Thanks
    I tried to get a number for a favorite button, but it didn't work.
    Does it really matter? when in the phone app the number keys always act as numbers anyway so if you assign vm to E it's no different than if it was 1.. other than what you see on the screen next to the favorite
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I have had my 650 for about 10 days and this thing just keeps rebooting randomly. No methodology, thing just gets a wild hair and wants to reboot like 3-4 times a day. Couple other quirky things, I hate the fact that it always locks the screen, I iwsh there was a time out unless it was locked manually, lastly...the reception SUCKS compared to my Motoroloa i710. Aside from that its pretty easy to use. im on Verizon BTW.
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    You can change the time to lock after the display turns off to 5 seconds 10 seconds and 30 seconds somewhere in preferences or off completely I think. Its rebooting.. have you installed many third party apps already?
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    Unless the Verizon 650 is different from every other 650 you can turn off Chat view by going to Preferences, then Chat, then change "Create chats from messages" to "Never". This has been covered several times before.
    Brett
    Well, going into Preferences, I see.
    Code:
    GENERAL
    * Date & Time        * Default Apps
    * Formats            * Keyguard
    * Power              * Sound & Alerts
    * Touch Screen

Communication
    * Bluetooth          * Handsfree
    * Network            * VPN

Personal
    * Buttons            * Color Theme
    * Owner

Other
    * Connection
    So, I guess the VZW version is different? In fact, I don't see an App called Chat, but I do see MMS and SMS apps.

Scott
    PS> The change screen lock/off delay is under Prefs->General->Power
    On another vein, having migrated from a Kyocera 7135, the things I find lacking, and I could use some recommendations on are...

1: An MP3 Ringer Tool - How fast does the ringer sound? Is there a delay vs. "normal" ringers?

2: A Voice Recorder - Yes, I can take a picture and then attach a sound clip, but I just want a memo record function

3: Local to Phone Voice Activated Dialing - There are Apps out there, but how well do they work, what sort of delay is there? On the 7135, I could push a button, beep, say "Home", and the phone would be dialing within a second. So far, it's pause, load app, say "call home", pause, start phone, pause, then dial. Is there any faster ones out there?

4: iRogue for the 5-way - Just a simple Rogue client, nothing fancy.

5: Battery Gauge - How much time is left?

6: Tank Pilot - A version that takes processor performance into account. I'm getting murderlized!

7: eReader client that uses the side volume buttons for PG up/down - I read ALOT of books on my Palm, but using the 5-way is uncomfortable.

Apart from these minor nits, okay Voice Dialing & the eReader problems are major nits, but I like the 650, though am still getting used to it's form factor and coming up to speed. It's been 31 hours since I got it.

Scott
    I initially had the same problem - couldn't figure out how to get a number as the shortcut key in my favorites. I wanted to have "Home" dialed when I pressed and held the #2.

Here's how to do it.

1) In the phone application press the menu button
    2) Under RECORD menu select "Edit Favorites Page"
    3)Navigate to the entry you want to edit and press the center button
    4)To enter a number in the "Quick Key" field, navigate to the field and press the center button
    5) While the "Quick Key" field is selected press the Menu button and select "Keyboard"
    6)Type of press the number you need and press "Done".
    7) Press "OK" and you are finished
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sck_nogas
    Well, going into Preferences, I see.
    So, I guess the VZW version is different? In fact, I don't see an App called Chat, but I do see MMS and SMS apps.

Scott
    No no no... I meant go into the messaging application (That you use to send/receive text messages) then hit the Menu button and select preferences from there.

Brett
  17. TAW

-I have noticed that in the phone mode, the words 'Verizon Wireless' are sometimes replaced with garbage characters that have no meaning. If i do a *228 it will correct itself, or occasionally if i do a soft reset. no big deal, but clearly a bug.
    I have noticed this also, I thought in my case it was because I loaded the DUn blue tooth patch and it seemed to show up after that.
    !
    This happened to me the other night... upon reading the manual, it seems that the phone is in "roam" mode. You can still make and recieve calls without a problem, it just "looks" terrible. (pg 39 of manual). Mine always have the little pyramid next to the garbage, as you say. I did not download the dun patch.

I do not like the plug at the bottom (ear/headphone). Can't put the phone in your pocket for hands-free... turn upside down and you are pressing on the antena... turn right side up and pressing on the hands-free/headphone connection.

Reception and voice quality is great... speakers are great (considering size of thing). Speaker phone works great.

rate: 9 out of 10....
    Quote Originally Posted by theog
    I do not like the plug at the bottom (ear/headphone). Can't put the phone in your pocket for hands-free... turn upside down and you are pressing on the antena... turn right side up and pressing on the hands-free/headphone connection.
    Isn't that the most assinine quirk of the 6xx design? I use a BT headset now, so it's not an issue, but who the Hell injuneerd that? Well, second only to putting the reset button under the battery cover.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    but who the Hell injuneerd that?
    Marketing department to make people like me purchase the side holster. I am going to test this side holster for while, but might move into a BT config later. I don't like the BT since most are fairly big. Waiting on my jabar headset (corded) to see how well that works.

I will admit, nothing is perfect... I would recommend the treo... I've not found one device that I "love" 100%.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast