Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread the same thing. They could get the number but it doesn't dial when held down. This is true, I've also tried it. Number or Letter whats the difference.. again as someone else mentioned when you're on the number pad its all the same thing.
    In buying two Treo 650's yesterday, one for myself and one for my wife, I was forced into buying the $45 (x2) data package for unlimited web access. I do want it on my Treo, but not on my wife's. They claim that the Treo can go online by it self and if you do not have this plan, you will rake up thousands of $'s in a bill. It looks to me that the web browser will only go online if you tap the icon, then answer yes to the question...go on line... If you do not do this then how can the phone go online? If you never set up any email, then it shouldn't go online for that either. $45/month is a lot to pay for a data plan when you really won't use it. Does anyone know if this "phantom going on line" is true, of if it is just a Verizon ploy to sell more data plans. Has anyone dumped the data plan a month or two after activating? This could be a big issue to many users that just want the PDA/Phone bundle.
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    One thing I noticed is after you send a picture message the 650 stays online. So if you click to browse the web (whatever that icon is named) it will not prompt you and will just automatically connect you and start transferring data.

Other than that I haven't heard of any reports of it automatically connecting and raking up data dollars. My wife has the 650 with the pay as you go plan but we haven't had our first bill yet. But VZW.com shows data usage and so far its not showing any surprise data usage.
    Have tried to install Voice Dial by VoiceSignal v.1.1.01, as provided on the Verizon-PalmOne application CD, on my Verizon Treo 650 to no avail. I've also tried the version downloaded from the PalmOne site. Here's what's happening... after synching the PRC file to the Treo 650 and when selecting the Install VoiceDial icon on the Application Menu it appears to be going through the installation as I can see the progress bar and then it suddenly disappears. I look for the application icon and it is not there. It shows up in the App Info screen as VoiceDial68K and has a size of only 8K. I have deleted the app from the Treo 650 and attempted to re-install several times getting the same results each time.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a solution for this?
    I had used the treo 650 on verizon network for the past 6 months... and it had never automaticely connect to the web.

Make sure you tell them that you don't want data for your wife. (if you use the web, verizon will charge toward your minutes).
    If you choose the per use data, it will cost a lot, (I think they charge per kilobyes usage.) I tried this option, I used about 1.5 mb within 10 minutes of web usage. This would usually take 10 minutes away from my minute, but instead I had to pay like 20 bucks.

I gotta run in a hurry, so hope this information help. PM if you have any question.

Vu

Quote Originally Posted by swturski
    In buying two Treo 650's yesterday, one for myself and one for my wife, I was forced into buying the $45 (x2) data package for unlimited web access. I do want it on my Treo, but not on my wife's. They claim that the Treo can go online by it self and if you do not have this plan, you will rake up thousands of $'s in a bill. It looks to me that the web browser will only go online if you tap the icon, then answer yes to the question...go on line... If you do not do this then how can the phone go online? If you never set up any email, then it shouldn't go online for that either. $45/month is a lot to pay for a data plan when you really won't use it. Does anyone know if this "phantom going on line" is true, of if it is just a Verizon ploy to sell more data plans. Has anyone dumped the data plan a month or two after activating? This could be a big issue to many users that just want the PDA/Phone bundle.
    I was wondering whether anyone has a tiny crackling/popping sound at the beginning of high pitched sounds through the headset earpiece. I have gone through 2 Verizon phones and both inhibit the same small pop sounds. They had the same similar sound issue on the Sprint ones I've used as well but to various degrees of annoyance. Is it the nature of the phones or am I just sensitive. Sometimes it comes on and other times, I don't hear any (voicemails-no, but calls with high dial tones-yes).
    Quote Originally Posted by skitmds
    I have had my 650 for about 10 days and this thing just keeps rebooting randomly. No methodology, thing just gets a wild hair and wants to reboot like 3-4 times a day. Couple other quirky things, I hate the fact that it always locks the screen, I iwsh there was a time out unless it was locked manually, lastly...the reception SUCKS compared to my Motoroloa i710. Aside from that its pretty easy to use. im on Verizon BTW.
    I am experiencing he same thing -- can anyone shed light on this.
    Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpeh
    Pete
    My gues is that 90% of the problem is related to 3rd party programs. The other 10% may be due to the option "Enable Local Netowrk Time" being enabled.

Many of the Sprint/GSM customers have already gone through this pain! I would be glad to help. If you can post the applications you have installed on your Treo, I can tell you which ones I know have caused problems.

Jeff
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpeh
    Pete
    you can change the screen locking method by going into the preferences. i have mine set to require keyguard after 5 seconds of being off.

regarding reboots... make sure you haven't installed too much third party stuff, as that can play a role. you can always do a hard reset and see if it works better for awhile with just the basic applications.
    i got 4 of them in past week all working fine nice upgrade from the 600
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by treonewyork
    Has anyone with the verizon Treo 650 used verichat? or chatter mail?
    if so ...does the verichat use up your sms allotment?
    i have both on my verizon treo 650. chatter seems great. verichat works well too, but disconnets after about 10 minutes of not using it in 'always on data mode'. if you are in data mode, it does not use SMS... but if you choose 'sms always on' then you will use your sms allotment.
    With the 600, it was found that you could go online and it would just cost you minutes (no data plan needed) which was great on the weekend because it didn't cost anything. Is this still possible with the 650?
    Recently my treo 650 locked up and I had to get it replaced from Verizon. Upon hard reset it still did not work. This was only after two days use!! It was flawless before then...and I did not add third party software. Any ideas, aside from a buggy software?

Thanks,

Ryan

PS: Is there any way to link the speakerphone option with the side button?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyg54
    Have tried to install Voice Dial by VoiceSignal v.1.1.01, as provided on the Verizon-PalmOne application CD, on my Verizon Treo 650 to no avail. I've also tried the version downloaded from the PalmOne site. Here's what's happening... after synching the PRC file to the Treo 650 and when selecting the Install VoiceDial icon on the Application Menu it appears to be going through the installation as I can see the progress bar and then it suddenly disappears. I look for the application icon and it is not there. It shows up in the App Info screen as VoiceDial68K and has a size of only 8K. I have deleted the app from the Treo 650 and attempted to re-install several times getting the same results each time.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a solution for this?
    I'm having the exact same problem! Someone help!
    Bing!
    If you really want to prevent your phone from connecting at all, you can go to Prefs-Network and create a new Network setting. Make it a dummy, so the phone will not have the proper settings to make any connections.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    When you install the PRC for voicedial, all it is doing is creating the program installer on you Treo, you then have to go to the install Voicedial icon in your apps and run it from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by race
    i have both on my verizon treo 650. chatter seems great. verichat works well too, but disconnets after about 10 minutes of not using it in 'always on data mode'. if you are in data mode, it does not use SMS... but if you choose 'sms always on' then you will use your sms allotment.
    If you write support@pdaapps.com they'll send you an unreleased version of Verichat 2.85b which works well with Verizon.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Having had the same problem, I tried your solution and it still does not work. I had a 600 and this was an easy task that always worked. When I called Verizon about this, they said that if you have loaded any third party apps, the hotkey function will not work...
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swturski
    I'm wondering whether I should start a class action lawsuit because of this issue. As I said in another thread, the only explanation I can come up with is that some exec in marketing and sales thought up this ruse and put this in the training program. As I mentioned, I was on the phone with Verizon reps for a few hours in trying to deal with the fact that I racked up $300 in data usage after switching phones, from the i600 tot he Treo 600, and they claimed the nonsense about staying online unintentionally and being responsible. After I pointed out that the unlimited plan does not prevent you from the phone supposedly going online and using up all your minutes (if you are connected unintentionally for only an hour a day I'd have all my minutes used up within 2 weeks of normal usage), the rep said "uhh.. uh...um..." No, it's BS. I was told this and it seems dozens of others have.

What happens is that if you don't logoff properly by disconnecting manually, you could be online for hours. There is no "auto logoff." There is software you can buy to do this. What happens is that people either forget to disconnect after they leave the software (e.g. exit the browser) or leave a chat program on like Verichat which CAN work in the background and will connect until you terminate. That's the only scare.

Regarding the class action... I'm actually wondering about this. There are SO many people complaining about the same story from all parts of the country and I experienced the same.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    True, and I agree. But I have been unable to program any hot keys that work merely by pressing the key, as worked so well on the 600. Verizon told me that the hotkeys won't function if any 3rd party software has been installed. Have you experienced this?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast