Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    No no no... I meant go into the messaging application (That you use to send/receive text messages) then hit the Menu button and select preferences from there.

Brett
    Okay, I thought you meant that, but still in the SMS application, which is where Chat messages come up, I have...

Under the Messages tab we have, "Confirm Message Deletions", "Return to List View after delete", "Addressing new messages: Typing enters digits"

Under the "Chat" tab we have, "Show both time and date", "Display my name in chat window as: me", "Label Color:", "Use Color for: Name only" and that's it...

Verizon has "SMS v. 1.01" as the client version, is that an older version?

Scott
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    I also didn't find an option to turn off the chat view in SMS. Not saying that I'd want to, but just that I didn't see the option. I'm also on 1.01
    Quote Originally Posted by sck_nogas
    Okay, I thought you meant that, but still in the SMS application, which is where Chat messages come up, I have...

Under the Messages tab we have, "Confirm Message Deletions", "Return to List View after delete", "Addressing new messages: Typing enters digits"

Under the "Chat" tab we have, "Show both time and date", "Display my name in chat window as: me", "Label Color:", "Use Color for: Name only" and that's it...

Verizon has "SMS v. 1.01" as the client version, is that an older version?

Scott
    From what you've listed as options in Messaging Preferences, then Verizon does have a big difference. Mine has everythiing yoiu listed, but also has the options for handling chats and mms & text msgs. I do note that mine in "About" shows the PalmOne logo with "Messaging v.2.0". Either Verizon has customized this app or they are using an older version. BTW, Mine is Cingular GSM.
    Last edited by v3treonut; 05/24/2005 at 01:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by v3treonut
    I do note that mine in "About" shows the PalmOne logo with "Messaging v.2.0". Either Verizon has customized this app or they are using an older version. BTW, Mine is Cingular GSM.
    Ditto w/Sprint, 2.0.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by v3treonut
    From what you've listed as options in Messaging Preferences, then Verizon does have a big difference. Mine has everythiing yoiu listed, but also has the options for handling chats and mms & text msgs. I do note that mine in "About" shows the PalmOne logo with "Messaging v.2.0". Either Verizon has customized this app or they are using an older version. BTW, Mine is Cingular GSM.
    Well, for Verizon we have both an MMS application & an SMS application, and both are v1.0.x, so it's more than likely that Verizon is using old code or have their own "custom" code. Oh well, the chat thing is just a minor issue for me.

Scott
    5: Battery Gauge - How much time is left?
    Just use your stylus or finger and touch the battery icon, it will tell you the % left.

Erik
    Yeah, but is "37% left" two hours at current usage or 12 hours? I'm looking for a time of battery life gauge not, percent or voltage. Knowing I've got 5.42 volts or 34% is one thing, knowing I've got 37 mins left is another.

Scott
    Tell me what other phone tells you minutes of battery left?
    The fact is that cell phone power consumption varies a lot depending on many factors.
    signal quality, data usage, call status, screen on or off, backlight on, keyboard on, etc.
    That makes no sense to have a projected usage.
    A camera on the other hand, that often has that, know exactly how much power it needs for each picture, so it can display this accurately.

All any phone can do is tell how much juice is left in the battery.
    Yeah, but is "37% left" two hours at current usage or 12 hours? I'm looking for a time of battery life gauge not, percent or voltage. Knowing I've got 5.42 volts or 34% is one thing, knowing I've got 37 mins left is another.

Scott

I agree that the problem with this is prolly battery technology. Little batteries don't have the room for all the monitoring electronics like the big ones in notebooks have, so I gather that the software is kinda making a "Best guess" at how much time is left, and can't interpolate any sort of "hours" out of it. Seems there would be a way to write a simple proggy to just watch how long it takes the phone to discharge and make an average. Unfortunately, you'd have to let it run all the way down, which can be bad for LiIon and LiPoly batteries Then again, IF it can tell %, why can't there be a way to interpolate (guess) that to HH:MM? So you have a good point. ZL doesn't even make sense with this, maybe the % takes up less room on the screen? Haha.
    The one thing I can't figure out is why so many of my friends at work with this thing on GSM networks are complaining that the CDMA versions have a better battery time. Why would that make a difference, unless they put a better battery in it o.0
    Quote Originally Posted by race
    -I have noticed that in the phone mode, the words 'Verizon Wireless' are sometimes replaced with garbage characters that have no meaning. If i do a *228 it will correct itself, or occasionally if i do a soft reset. no big deal, but clearly a bug.
    Hehe, Be thankful. On my Kyocera 7135, there was a hack to ALLOW you to replace the Banner, so it NEVER showed VZW. I wonder if this is available on the 650?
    I also wonder if any of this info ever gets to VZW/Palm... Or gets ignored as silly whining from us :-\

Scott
    Then people would complain it was not accurate. Palm can't win....

the whole for the headphone jack is located at the bottom of the unit. I did notice on the palm holster, when I had in my hands-free, I can't make a call easy or get to my unit while on a call.

The problem is when you need to use the phone, you have to take the jack out of the unit in order to get to your phone. If you want to make a call, you have to unplug the unit, take phone out, dial number, tell person to hold, put unit back in case, then put plug back in unit, and resume your conversation.

It is the little things from palm that drives you crazy.... of course I could break down and get bluetooth...
    I also get characters where the verizon banner should be...but when it happens to me the phone also goes into roaming mode....denoted by the triangle next to the signal strength..how many people does this happen to ??
  13.    #33  
    Good find for the post about assigning 'numbers' to shortcut keys instead of just the letters.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's experiences and hope it will continue... this is helpful.

My treo has been working pretty well, except for a few minor things i've already mentioned. Volume isn't the best and speaker quality isn't that great overall... but i like the phone.

i wish there was an easy way to save a web page i'm viewing on my PC directly onto the TREO.... but since this is a 'Verizon' thread, i'll keep it focused on that for now.

If you get the garbage characters where it should say 'Verizon Wireless'... then just try a *228, then #2 and it should reset it.

I try to research any program i put on the treo to make sure this thing stays as stable as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtwing7
    I am having problems with the volume during a call, (Verizon 650). The person I am calling can hear me fine, however, the volume of their voice oftens fluctuates. Sometimes I can hear them fine, sometimes I can barely hear them at all. I am not using a headset or speaker phone, just using it as any regular phone. I purchased a Treo 600 last year from T-mobile and had the same problem, I exchanged it 3 times before finally giving up and deciding to wait for the 650. I am now experiencing the same problem, only not quite as bad. The only 3rd party software I have installed is Agendus, Pocket Quicken and Athletes Calculator. However, I did upgrade from a Tungsten-T which transferred a couple of stock programs such as Dialer, Phone, Phone Link, as well as some unknown files such as Ericsson_R520m, Ericsson_T39m, and Sony-E.T68i. Is anyone else experiencing this problem, or can anyone help?
    Have you tried either ProfileCare or VolumeCare? Both of these applications will help with the listening volume levels of the built-in speakers. ProfileCare will also do much more as it is a new-generation Profile application for the Troe 600 and Treo 650. It has many features that have been missing in the Treo or have needed 3- 5 applications to get this functionality.

Jeff
  15.    #35  
    i've had to replace my original treo from verizon with another and noticed the new one has different lighting on the keyboard. the new one has a blueish tint and is not as 'even' looking as the old one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    putting the reset button under the battery cover.
    That is the greatest example of "wishfull thinking" I have seen in years. Maybe the design team hired the three monkeys with bats from the old Mineke commercial. Remember that one?
    Has anyone with the verizon Treo 650 used verichat? or chatter mail?
    if so ...does the verichat use up your sms allotment?
    -I have noticed that in the phone mode, the words 'Verizon Wireless' are sometimes replaced with garbage characters that have no meaning. If i do a *228 it will correct itself, or occasionally if i do a soft reset. no big deal, but clearly a bug.
    This started happening to me yesterday, it seemed after I installed some 3rd party apps. Did hard reset to wipe everything and went away, but quickly returned when I restored all my stuff from backup. Currently has not returned while I am reinstalling my programs one by one to find the culprit.

Would also reset when I tried to go to the MMS app using the shortcut of pressing the Option button and email button together. Also not a problem after a hard reset as above.
    Ditto here and hard resets wouldn't get rid of it. vzw sent me a new phone and I haven't installed the dun hack and the garbled text has yet to show up again. Mine would also say 'get back you on th' where it usually says 'Verizon Wireless' as well. Deffinitely odd.

Quote Originally Posted by TAW
    I have noticed this also, I thought in my case it was because I loaded the DUn blue tooth patch and it seemed to show up after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez
    I initially had the same problem - couldn't figure out how to get a number as the shortcut key in my favorites. I wanted to have "Home" dialed when I pressed and held the #2.

Here's how to do it.

1) In the phone application press the menu button
    2) Under RECORD menu select "Edit Favorites Page"
    3)Navigate to the entry you want to edit and press the center button
    4)To enter a number in the "Quick Key" field, navigate to the field and press the center button
    5) While the "Quick Key" field is selected press the Menu button and select "Keyboard"
    6)Type of press the number you need and press "Done".
    7) Press "OK" and you are finished
    Hi Drez,

I tried your tip about the Quick Keys and I could get the number 2 to show. However, when I go back to the key pads and hold on 2, it doesn't work. Can you confirm you got the key pads to work and reiterate how you got it to work please?

TIA!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast