Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #22  
    Well, that explains it. She was on the run. . . er. . . out of town.

I have filed claims with eBay, PayPal and my credit card. At the end of the day my credit card company says they will protect me. If you were defrauded I suggest you do the same ASAP.
    Last edited by rbenjami; 05/26/2005 at 03:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's definitely not a Treo 650 for $250.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    Well, that explains it. She was on the run. . . er. . . out of town.
    I'm glad you did what was needed to protect yourself on this one. I've said it to many people and will say it again here. If you see something expensive selling on Ebay for a well below market price, it's either
    1) A Scam
    2) Damaged or stolen goods obtained for next to nothing
    3) A really, really stupid person

I doubt if #3 rarely, if ever, applies.

There is no secret source for obtaining a new fully functional Treo 650 that will enable anyone to sell it for $250*.

Raise you hand if you think there is!

*(Excluding #3 above or a wireless carrier with a hefty rebate program along with long term service contract requirements)
    Last edited by v3treonut; 05/27/2005 at 10:34 AM.
    Hello Mr. Naive Clueless:
    Next time someone offers to sell you something for an unbelievable price, don't believe it, ok?
    People like you make credit card rates go up.
  5.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ombra
    Next time someone offers to sell you something for an unbelievable price, don't believe it, ok?
    Hi Jerk-o:

No. People like the SELLER make credit card rates go up. I took a chance and lost. At the time, I didn't know about all of her other auctions. I only saw a good deal and a seller with 100% positive feedback. She was ID verified by both PayPal and eBay, so I took the chance.

I don't accept your blame.
    Actually people like her don't make credit card rates go up. She'll never see any of that money. It's not like the CC companies transfer the money to her instanenously. It normally takes 30-90 days for the CC companies to pay up. So in a case like this where you contest the charge with your CC, the money will never be sent. You did contest the charge with your CC right?

The people that make CC rates go up are the consumers who charge up a storm and then default on their cards.
    I live in phoneix. If you guys like I can go rough her up :-D

-b
    Actually, it's not the Credit Card companies that will "pay" for the fraud. In the end it will be PayPal who pays for it.

I accept credit cards in my online business, and believe me, when someone calls up their credit card company to contest the charges (also known as a chargeback) the credit card companies take the money back from the merchant of record (in this case PayPal). Paypal will then attempt to get the money back from the seller on eBay, but that isn't likely going to happen, since most likely this 17 yo girl is probably just another innocent bystander in the whole thing who had her eBay ID ripped off by a virus of phishing scheme.

On my business I get 1-2 chargebacks every month. Just scammers using stolen credit card numbers most of the time. Trust me...It's not the credit card issuers who pay, it's not visa or mastercard who pay, it's the merchant who accepted the card who pays.

Anyway, here is how the scam works:

1) Scammer sends millions of spams to everyone they can in order to phish as many ebay, and credit card numbers as they can.

2) Scammer also steals someone's ID to setup a fake bank account at a bank. (SSN# Drivers license number, etc.)

2) Scammer then creates a paypal account and gets it all verified and what not. (only thing that is required in "verifying" a paypal account is simply giving proof that you actually have access to the bank account. Since the scammer is the one who actually setup the bank account, then he will have no problem providing this proof.

3) Scammer lists as many "hot ticket" items as he can. The kind of things that are in high demand and everyone wants...Some prime examples include: iPods, Treos, Laptops, PSPs, any kind of electronic gadget that was just released or that will be released any day now. The prices are priced so that they are considered "great deals" even for ebay. For example, the one item this particular scammer sold (a 60gb iPod photo) normally sells for $450 retail, sells for about $375-$400 on ebay, and is priced "buy it now" for $170... They do this so that they can sell as many of them as he can in as short of a time as possible. Anybody (who doesn't know any better) who was kind of thinking about getting an iPod would jump instantly on seeing that deal.

4) As soon as the money is in the PayPal account, it is almost immediately withdrawn into the bank account. They withdraw it as fast as possible. They keep rellisting everything as fast as they are selling.

5) They pretend to be the model eBayer for a while (i.e. responding to emails, leaving positive feedback, etc.) in order to prevent buyers from filing official complaints for as long as possible.

6) Once they eBay and PayPal account get shut down, which they will after 2-3 weeks...maybe a month...they empty the fake bank account they setup and run with serveral thousand dollars profit. This leaves eBay, PayPal, and the credit card companies to sort out the mess. The ones footing the bill are eBay (since eBay owns PayPal).

I can almost guarantee that this 17 year old girl you found is not the seller that scammed you. She just had her eBay account hijacked by responding to one of the phishing scam emails that she must have got in her email account.
  9.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by adamstew
    I can almost guarantee that this 17 year old girl you found is not the seller that scammed you. She just had her eBay account hijacked by responding to one of the phishing scam emails that she must have got in her email account.
    Nope. This isnt that smart. The seller is the 17 year old girl. Her ebay contact email matches the emails I have been receiving from her.

If she actually did what I suspect, it is a shame that she will spend the next 20 years in jail for stealing 15 grand or so.

FOLLOWUP: She now says that her ebay and paypal accounts have been suspended, but that she will refund everyone's money. Mea culpa.
    Last edited by rbenjami; 05/26/2005 at 03:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    Nope. This isnt that smart. The seller is the 17 year old girl. Her ebay contact email matches the emails I have been receiving from her. When you call the phone number on her ebay account a 17 year old girl answers the phone and knows all about the transaction. She just gives the run around. She is going to get nailed to the wall on this one. . .

If she actually did what I suspect, it is a shame that she will spend the next 20 years in jail for stealing 15 grand or so.
    Oh, if that's the case, then she is just a stupid 17yo girl who saw the amount of money she could make real easy and definately is going to get nailed on this one.

But sadly, since she is a juvenile, they can't jail her past her 21st birthday
    Quote Originally Posted by ombra
    Don't be an ***. You're blaming the victim.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Don't be an ***. You're blaming the victim.
    absolutely!
    If you read her blog you'll see she's collecting $ to buy that oh so lovely house so she can marry her wonderful boyfriend of one year, who "went to jareds", and start squeezing out middle america pups by the age of 18.

joy
    If you read her blog you'll see she's collecting $ to buy that oh so lovely house so she can marry her wonderful boyfriend of one year, who "went to jareds", and start squeezing out middle america pups by the age of 18.

joy
    How romantic! it's a fairy tale...
    ;-P

da...did your co-worker ever find his luggage?
    Whoops. I forgot the damn dog:
    puppy

@Christinac130
    Nope, no bag yet. The impression he gets everytime he talks to them is they don't really seem to care to try and find it and just push him towards filing the reimbursement claim.
  16.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by adamstew
    But sadly, since she is a juvenile, they can't jail her past her 21st birthday
    Not quite. I am sure she would be charged as an adult for this one. Again, assuming her guilt. We should all be careful to avoid a defamation suit here. Nobody actually knows she did anything wrong. Maybe this 17 year old won some contest where she has dozens of popular electronics she is selling for rock bottom prices. Maybe she hasnt sent anyone anything because of a death in her family and she had to travel, but she is back now and will send everything out soon. Maybe she will refund everyone's money if only she could get access to her PayPal account which has been shut down. Maybe. Or. . . maybe not. I do wonder though. . . how does a 17 year old make over $250,000? I had to go through three years of law school and work my *** off and I still dont make quite that much.
    Whoops. I forgot the damn dog:
    puppy

@Christinac130
    Nope, no bag yet. The impression he gets everytime he talks to them is they don't really seem to care to try and find it and just push him towards filing the reimbursement claim.
    :-( Sorry to hear that...
    What the H***? When I was 17 I was thinking of boys, the prom, football games, etc... :-(
    I can't believe I spent 5 minutes reading her blog.

What a dunce I am.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast