Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    What is the best launcher program for the treo 650.
    I know there is
    LauncherZ
    and
    Launcher X

I'm planning to buy one, but which one is better?
    Never heard of LauncherZ but I do use ZLauncher.

I like it and it's very customizable for what I want to do. It allows me to make shortcuts of card apps to map buttons, categorize ROM and Card apps together on the same page, make my own format with pictures and the list could go on and on.

Never tried Launcher X, so couldn't tell ya.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    I've tried both and really do like ZLauncher more. For me, ZLauncher's interface is more appealing and I found the software more intuitive in its setup. But I do know there are loyal LauncherX users who swear by it.

Ultimately, you need to test each and discover which one you prefer. Everyone here wil give you their opinions (me included) and the info will (in most cases) be helpful. But you've got to find the software that works best for you.

Good luck.
    what's wrong with the launcher program that came with my treo 650? seriously... what other benefits are there?
    I have a question for you zlauncher users. How much space does zlauncher take up? The large file size of zlauncher was a major concern of mine, which is why I chose to get LauncherX instead.

LauncherX only takes up 472 kb when I check out the info screen. How much space does it take up for you zlauncher users?

By the way, I'm sure zlauncher is a more sophisticated program than LauncherX, but I was more concerned about storage space...or lack thereof in my case!

Thanks, Casey.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    i dont use a launcher just the standard desktop...
    I am with you I played with various launchers with both my Treo300 and 600 and found they slowed down the system and didn't display phone signal strengh (i head this may have been finxed).

I did like Silver Screen cause it was so good looking, but ultimately with wasn't worth the space and decrease in speed. Now i just use the default palm launcher and powerrun to move app 2 SD card.
    On MTDN, the author of Butler (and Phone Technician, and others) says that he's working on a launcer as well. He puts out solid products, so it will be interesting to see what he brings to the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    I am with you I played with various launchers with both my Treo300 and 600 and found they slowed down the system and didn't display phone signal strengh (i head this may have been finxed).

I did like Silver Screen cause it was so good looking, but ultimately with wasn't worth the space and decrease in speed. Now i just use the default palm launcher and powerrun to move app 2 SD card.
    ive tried Zlauncher and I dont like it, PowerRUN albeit less expensive but does 1 thing is for me

If hobbyist software does come out with a launcher I will definately look into it, they do make rock solid products
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I believe the product from MTDN is "Initiate" and is available now. That is what I use, simple yet effect.
    I'm a big fan of HiLauncher since it allows you to pop-up a menu from within any application. I used ZLauncher with my Clie but find it overkill given the smaller screen of the Treo.
    ^i use Hi-Launcher as well (simply the best)...but the thing is though...comparing Hi-Launcher to ZLauncher, LauncherX WinLauncher and Initiate...is odd. Hi-Launcher should not be categorized in the same fashion with these 4 IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    Hi-Launcher should not be categorized in the same fashion with these 4 IMO
    Agreed! Hopefully I didn't confuse the issue. IMO, Hi-Launcher is a launcher, period, while the others are launchers and much, much more. The simple term "launcher" is kind of an understatement as it pertains to the others.
    Why use a launcher?

To be able to completly customize everything.

1) With Megalauncher I can hide #3rd party apps as well as ROM. And yes I know I can hide ROM apps with obfuscate. And with the stock palm launcher putting an app in unfiled dosent hide it in the all category.
    2) I can use wallpaper.
    3) I can customize system sounds.
    4) I can customize icons.
    5) On the launcher skin I can set the menu bars to didplay whatever information I want.

Also megalauncher is a backup utility, the best file manager out there and also works as an uninstall manager because it deletes all data and saved preferences relating to an application when the app is deleted.

It does take up a full meg but you would take up more than that with a launcher, file manager, backup utility and uninstall utility if for some strange reason you wanted to get them all seperate. And it would be way more than the 15 bucks that Megalauncher costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by aabshire
    I believe the product from MTDN is "Initiate" and is available now. That is what I use, simple yet effect.
    I don't think so. Initiate's been out for a while.

http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php?topic=11374.0

Maybe it's just a big improvement for Initiate, but I read it to mean something different. Who knows.