Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone used both of these on the 650? If so, is one better than the other?
  2. delao13's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    #2  
    VL does more than dial phone numbers, but I thought it was hard to use and not sufficiently accurate. The updated version of VD (the original version that comes with the Treo is WORTHLESS IMHO -- it wouldn't recognize a single contact for me) is FLAWLESS. I have over 2000 contacts and -- without any training whatsoever -- it recognizes all my contacts, regardless of the names' complexity. Two thumbs up. 5 out of 5 stars.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dean2526
    Has anyone used both of these on the 650? If so, is one better than the other?
    I guess it really depends on users, and by chance both can be evaluated during a trial period.

    If you want to give VoiceLauncher a try, take your time to read the tutorial and begin with a few commands. VoiceLauncher has an automatic learning feature, and it's a good idea to train commands one by one and to add new commands after training a little the previous commands. Default learning feature is "learning" when you confirm the command with the 5 way navigator. You can set it to full automatic learning in your preferences, but be sure to control at least during the first stages that VoiceLauncher is launching the proper commands (overwise VoiceLauncher will consider the command is ok and will use this wrong result to get trained!). Moving the 5 way navigator cancels the countdown if needed.

    Regards, Jean-Francois.
  4. pabo's Avatar
    Posts
    813 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #4  
    I lost patience with Voice Launcher due to its need for training.

    I find VoiceDial very useful, and it needs no training.
  5. #5  
    I have both and gave up on Voice Launcher. Takes too much time to train. For applications I simply use my favorite buttons and Voice Signal for contacts. The time it takes for you to say a command in Voice Launcher and for it to recognize your command is the same if not longer than the time it takes for me to go through my favorite buttons.
  6. pabo's Avatar
    Posts
    813 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    ...The time it takes for you to say a command in Voice Launcher and for it to recognize your command is the same if not longer ...
    VoiceDial is no quicker than favorites or a quick lookup, but it is much SAFER at 75mph in traffic on theJersey Turnpike..... I like it for this reason alone.
  7. #7  
    Does VoiceDialer work only on carkits/speakerphones. I've read conflicting information that says you can use VoiceDailer by speaking directly to the phone, while other say it's not possible to do this. I know it won't work over my Bluetooth headset, but I am not opposed to speaking into the phone if it is available as a feature.

    Milo
  8. #8  
    I've just bought Supertooth 3.6 (I think it's called Supertalk in the USA), and it works fine with the treo650 but I'm disapointed to know voice dialing programs do not work over BT because of a bug in Palm1 programming.

    Any expectations to get a fix for this???
    Joan López i Graupera
    Barcelon@ - Catalonia
  9. #9  
    2 words and a vote for VoiceDial

    No Training
  10. BrettS's Avatar
    Posts
    211 Posts
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by camilomachado
    Does VoiceDialer work only on carkits/speakerphones. I've read conflicting information that says you can use VoiceDailer by speaking directly to the phone, while other say it's not possible to do this. I know it won't work over my Bluetooth headset, but I am not opposed to speaking into the phone if it is available as a feature.

    Milo
    You can definitely use VoiceDialer by speaking into the phone. In fact, it works from some distance away. I use a bluetooth headset too and I keep the treo in a holster on my waist. I can start voicedialer with the treo in the holster and it can still recognize my commands even while I'm driving on the highway.

    I haven't registered yet, but I definitely will.

    Brett
  11. #11  
    where can one download voicedial? I have been looking.
  12. #12  
    Which Bluetooth headset do you have?
    I too have read that it didn't respond to voice dial commands by bluetooth.
  13. #13  
    sbdaigo - Voice Dialer is on the palmone support download page for the treo 650... Here's my question to anyone "in the know"... if you like the product, how much does it cost to activate it after the trial? I haven't downloaded it yet because I haven't found the answer to this question. Thanks amigos!
  14. nuflat's Avatar
    Posts
    294 Posts
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    #14  
    After the trial is over, it is $19.95 to license it. After you trial period is up, all you will be able to do is dial by digits and not names till you pay for it.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    You can definitely use VoiceDialer by speaking into the phone. In fact, it works from some distance away. I use a bluetooth headset too and I keep the treo in a holster on my waist. I can start voicedialer with the treo in the holster and it can still recognize my commands even while I'm driving on the highway.
    It looks like VoiceDialer doesn't work with BT headsets http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...ase=obj(31719)

    With your phone in your holster, how do you activate/launch VoiceDialer?
  16. BrettS's Avatar
    Posts
    211 Posts
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireless_Guru
    It looks like VoiceDialer doesn't work with BT headsets http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...ase=obj(31719)

    With your phone in your holster, how do you activate/launch VoiceDialer?
    It doesn't work through the bluetooth headset, but it still works through the phone if you're using a bluetooth headset. I have VoiceDailer set to activate on a long press of the side button, so I was somewhat dismayed to discover that the side button won't power the treo on. What I did discover, however, is that if I press the mulitfunction button on my bluetooth headset the Treo comes on (I have the TWH, but I think it will work with any BT headset). After the Treo is on, then I can hold down the side button. (Since I use a holster I have keyguard turned off).

    So, to activate VoiceDialer with my Treo in it's holster I tap the button on my BT headset, then wait a second or two to make sure the phone is on, then reach down and hold the side button. It prompts me, I speak, and a couple of seconds later the phone rings in my BT headset.

    As a side note, I did use the keyguard for a little while and I discovered a really strange thing. If I turned on the Treo by pressing the button on my BT headset the side button would clear the keyguard. If I turned on the Treo any other way, then the side button would not clear the keyguard. So, you can still use this method even if you like the keyguard, but you need one more keypress... Press the button on the BT headset, wait a second or two for the phone to come on, then tap the side button to clear the keyguard, then hold down the side button and wait for the VoiceDial prompt. Speak, then wait to hear the phone ring in your BT headset.

    Ideally I'd love to be able to activate VoiceDial by just pressing the button on the BT headset, but this method works, so I'm reasonably happy for now.

    HTH,
    Brett
  17. pabo's Avatar
    Posts
    813 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #17  
    Non-bluetooth support is NOT a bug, it is based on the choice of BT standards P1 uses for the Treo.

    non-bt support is not an issue for me and I use Voice Dialer ALL the time while driving. It is a well written / well behaved app.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    VoiceDial is no quicker than favorites or a quick lookup, but it is much SAFER at 75mph in traffic on theJersey Turnpike..... I like it for this reason alone.
    What the heck are you doing going so slow in the Turnpike?!?! Just kidding!! I agree 100%, I love the flexibility and safety it ads!
  19. pabo's Avatar
    Posts
    813 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #19  
    I originally typed 85 mph but was afraid the NSA was monitoring this thread.....


    and I don't have a Viper....
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    ...So, to activate VoiceDialer with my Treo in it's holster I tap the button on my BT headset, then wait a second or two to make sure the phone is on, then reach down and hold the side button. It prompts me, I speak, and a couple of seconds later the phone rings in my BT headset...
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions