1.    #1  
    I've had my treo 650 for about a week and a half. I got it so that I could send and recieve e-mail while in China for the summer. The internet worked while I was in the states and for the first day that I was in China. But it hasn't worked since (about 5 days). I have tried taking out the sim card, turning the phone on and off, doing hard and soft resets and nothing has fixed the problem. I have been on the phone with Cingular for 4 days now and no one seems to know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions???
    is your phone unlocked? if not, have Cingular unlock the phone and get a local sim card with gprs enabled. hope it works.
    Random thoughts off the top of my head . . . . .

If Cingular feels your Treo should work where you are, can they send you one that does? How long will you be there?

Is it a damaged Sim card? Are you traveling with someone that has a GPRS Sim card you can swap in and see?

Are you in a different area of China than on the first day that it worked? Got service?
    (Sorry, How many bars do you have?) (Cingular is raising the customer service bar on this one.)

Good Luck.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/17/2005 at 09:52 PM.
    Sounds like Rome is on to something.

Again, Good Luck.
    And it is not a phone issue...so resetting Treo will not help you. I'm almost certain that it is a carrier issue.
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    Not to sound paranoid but it might be that the not so liberal Chinese government has blocked you from accessing your phone.

I would contact a local cell phone dealer and ask if you need a special sim for your visit in the Peoples Republic!
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
    doesn't china use CDMA? i thought cdma was popular in the us, caribbean and southeast asia...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    GSRP worked for a day . . . . . . . .
    Off Topic. Hey frustrateduser - while you're in China can you do some of us a huge favor? The Samsung i539 Palm smartphone is on sale in china and has a a program on it that allows viewing of Native .pdf files (Picsel Viewer). We'd love to get our hands on one. Any way you could track one down and purchase it for us. I'd be willing to pay for it. PM me if you are open to this. Thanks!!!
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Kenundrum... there are definitely GSM providers in China. I was in Beijing a few weeks ago and was able to get service on my Treo from both China Mobile and China Unitel. Unfortunately I didn't use GPRS while I was there, so I can't help there. I used my Cingular SIM for a short time, then a prepaid SIM from both of the above companies.

Brett
    Quote Originally Posted by mshaw1515
    Off Topic. Hey frustrateduser - while you're in China can you do some of us a huge favor? The Samsung i539 Palm smartphone is on sale in china and has a a program on it that allows viewing of Native .pdf files (Picsel Viewer). We'd love to get our hands on one. Any way you could track one down and purchase it for us. I'd be willing to pay for it. PM me if you are open to this. Thanks!!!
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=i539
    Thanks albertb - I'm all over that thread. We're trying to get the prefs files so we can change the setting to allow us to view faxed/scanned .pdf files.
    Oops sorry! I read the thread a few times, then didn't follow up. Didn't realize you were in there. I'll stop posting off topic now.
    I have used my Treo on the GPRS all over China. I actually could not believe it when I got off the plane and bought the first prepaid card I saw. When I put it in GPRS worked with no set up at all. I look in Network settings and China APN and the rest of the codes where there automatically. No I did not buy the Treo there either. It was originally from TMo and unlocked.
    On the GPRS issue. Yes I have run into the same thing with it not working all the time. I would be able to use it about 3 days out of the week or so but never consistently in the city I was in. In other cities I could use it just fine as much as I wanted.
    I am partial to the idea that China randomly throws up blocks to international sites. Whenever I could not get my phone to work I could ALWAYS get Chinese sites to load up. You should try this and see if it is the case for you.
    I was in Dalian for most of the time while I was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by frustrateduser
    I've had my treo 650 for about a week and a half. I got it so that I could send and recieve e-mail while in China for the summer. The internet worked while I was in the states and for the first day that I was in China. But it hasn't worked since (about 5 days). I have tried taking out the sim card, turning the phone on and off, doing hard and soft resets and nothing has fixed the problem. I have been on the phone with Cingular for 4 days now and no one seems to know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Get another brand!...My Treo 600 never worked properly..Plenty of good cheap mobile phones in China that are better value than a Treo !