Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    TOPLINE: One Treo 650 ordered. 3 non-Treo phones delivered (along with two unordered phonelines)

I have been lurking on this site for some time. I briefly had a Treo 650 through my work and liked it very much. When I switched jobs I gave it back. I wanted to get myself one but being a long time VZW customer I thought I would wait until they brought out their 650. As the release approached I heard disturbing stories about disabled bluetooth and high prices at least in comparison to Sprint. So after some thought and posting a thread on this site looking for comments, I decided to leave Verizon and get a Treo 650 from Sprint.

I was going through the ordering process with Treo Central and I began to wonder when exactly did the 14 day trial period start, at the time of the order or at the time of activation. I assumed at activation but wanting to be sure I called Treo Central. This was Sunday night the 15. I spoke to a very helpful woman who said she did not know. I could call tomorrow and someone would have the answer or if i really needed to know Sprint customer service might have the answer.

I called Sprint. The salesman said that the trial starts when the phone is activated by me. He went on to say that if I ordered the phone from him right then he could have it to me by the middle of the week - and he could do it at the same price, $285, that Treo Central was offering. THIS IS WHERE THE BAD MOJO ENTERED. Instead of supporting a good and helpful site with my purchase I opted for immediate gratification and went forward with the deal with the Sprint PCS telephone sales representative. We went through the sales process, he checked my credit (when he returned he commented that I had good enough credit to merit 5 Sprint accounts which would later prove to be dramatic foreshadowing of what was to come) and I gave him my credit card number to pay for one Treo 650 at $285 plus tax.

Fast forward to Tuesday after work. I come home there is a package waiting for me from Sprint! What service I say to my wife. I open the box, it contains 3 Sanyo phones 2 PM8200s and a MM5200. All three have phone numbers. None of the phones numbers match the one I was given although one is close, the last 7 digits are the same but the area code is 857 instead of 617.

As I waded through the long and tedious phone prompts on the 800 number I lost what slim hope I had that it had been a mistake. I went through one troubling encounter with a very befuddled customer service rep who when I asked to speak to her supervisor would speak to someone just out of earshot of me on the phone and then come back on the line and say "Dustin says you should....." When I asked who Dustin was she told me he was her supervisor. When I asked to speak to Dustin there was some muffled chatter and then she returned and said "Dustin doesn't want to take the call" It was then that I realized I was dealing with a very special organization. Oh yeah and she also told me that they had charged my Visa card $415- MORE THAN $100 MORE THAN I HAD AGREED TO!!! I was transfered to the fraud department. An automated phone prompt system lead me to a message that told me to contact my Credit Card company and dispute any charges.

I phoned back and this time was connected to a much more squared away representative who put me on hold for a long period of time checking back with me infrequently to say that he was making headway. Finally he returned to say that he was going to connect me with a representative in Preferred Service who would arrange to have return packages sent for the three phones and send me out the Treo I wanted originally. Since this is getting kind of long the story ends with this guy telling me that the price of the Treo 650 is $599. I say that is not the price the original sales representative quoted me and there is deafening silence. So I have cancelled all of my lines with Sprint. They say they are going to cut me a check to refund all my money next week.

I am suspect of anything Sprint PCS says now.

I am so pissed off. When I asked the last guy I talked to at Sprint how something like this happened he said "Some guys just like to show a lot of sales" Unbelievable that a supposedly reputable company like Sprint would knowingly let this kind of thing go on.

And finally I am really, really bummed because I had done a lot of work and thought I had figured out that Sprint was the right choice for my Treo 650. I did not think to factor in the sleazy crook factor.

I don't know what I am going to do now besides wait and see if this thing with Sprint gets any worse.
    Wow. How do you respond to this?

I have Sprint and deal with several knowledgable, freindly and helpful people at a Sprint store.

I believe the "rep" that lied about giving you a Treo 650 for the $285, just to get your credit card information so he could pad his sales numbers with the maximum phones and phone lines your credit would support should be fired immediately. I would press for that. I cannot imagine any company wanting any such employee.

You should be able to get the Treo for $450 from Sprint with a 2 year service agreement. I find the $15 per month unlimited data plan hard to beat.

I am still shaking my head. Hope all turns out well. When the smoke clears -- go to a store and deal with someone face to face. If it helps -- I had a similiar horror story (4 Dead On Arrival returned phones staying on my Debit card for 3-4 months) with AT&T before they merged with Cingular -- it took a phone call to the home office where someone in the "Exectuive Response" Office finally took pity on me and cleared the matter up. Point being -- every carrier probably has similiar stories.

Get a Treo, Be Happy and join us passionate folks.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/18/2005 at 07:27 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Perry, Thanks for your response. I do want to try and work this out with Sprint's fraud department. I think that, as you said, every company has some bad eggs. And if they seem to be making an effort to try a weed out this crook I think I can put this initial ugliness behind me.

I will update as to how they handle this after I talk to them.

Bob
    Do NOT, repeat NOT, sit back and wait for a check. WRITE (do not call) your credit card company, provide them with full details, and ask that they charge back the amount of purchase to Sprint. That way you're covered even if Sprint never manages to send you a check. If Sprint does send you a check, you can worry about how to deal with it later. But do take advantage of the protections built into law when making a credit card mail (or phone) order purchase.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Bob,

I bought my Treo at the Sprint Store in the South Shore Plaza in Braintree. Don't know if you're near there, but there's also one in Framingham. The Braintree store was very helpful in getting my account set up, and the process went as smooth as could be. They matched the "web special" price from the Sprint webstore on both my treo and my wife's Sanyo 7400. I had a small problem with the phone about a week after purchase, and they swapped it for a new one (not a refurb) right away.

You may want to try this approach. I always believe in a face to face when purchasing something like cell service. There are just too many ways to get screwed (and get things screwed up) otherwise. Best of luck with this one! -- Kurt

On another note. After having the service since January, I found that an education discount was available. The Sprint customer service people were extrememely helpful in getting my account switched to the new discounted rate, with no problems at all. Let's just hope you had an isolated experience.
    Something similar happened to me, I am now a Cingular customer, while I am paying more I am just happy to not be a Sprint customer. I even filed a better business complaint.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfitz
    TOPLINE: One Treo 650 ordered. 3 non-Treo phones delivered (along with two unordered phonelines)

I have been lurking on this site for some time. I briefly had a Treo 650 through my work and liked it very much. When I switched jobs I gave it back. I wanted to get myself one but being a long time VZW customer I thought I would wait until they brought out their 650. As the release approached I heard disturbing stories about disabled bluetooth and high prices at least in comparison to Sprint. So after some thought and posting a thread on this site looking for comments, I decided to leave Verizon and get a Treo 650 from Sprint.

I was going through the ordering process with Treo Central and I began to wonder when exactly did the 14 day trial period start, at the time of the order or at the time of activation. I assumed at activation but wanting to be sure I called Treo Central. This was Sunday night the 15. I spoke to a very helpful woman who said she did not know. I could call tomorrow and someone would have the answer or if i really needed to know Sprint customer service might have the answer.

I called Sprint. The salesman said that the trial starts when the phone is activated by me. He went on to say that if I ordered the phone from him right then he could have it to me by the middle of the week - and he could do it at the same price, $285, that Treo Central was offering. THIS IS WHERE THE BAD MOJO ENTERED. Instead of supporting a good and helpful site with my purchase I opted for immediate gratification and went forward with the deal with the Sprint PCS telephone sales representative. We went through the sales process, he checked my credit (when he returned he commented that I had good enough credit to merit 5 Sprint accounts which would later prove to be dramatic foreshadowing of what was to come) and I gave him my credit card number to pay for one Treo 650 at $285 plus tax.

Fast forward to Tuesday after work. I come home there is a package waiting for me from Sprint! What service I say to my wife. I open the box, it contains 3 Sanyo phones 2 PM8200s and a MM5200. All three have phone numbers. None of the phones numbers match the one I was given although one is close, the last 7 digits are the same but the area code is 857 instead of 617.

As I waded through the long and tedious phone prompts on the 800 number I lost what slim hope I had that it had been a mistake. I went through one troubling encounter with a very befuddled customer service rep who when I asked to speak to her supervisor would speak to someone just out of earshot of me on the phone and then come back on the line and say "Dustin says you should....." When I asked who Dustin was she told me he was her supervisor. When I asked to speak to Dustin there was some muffled chatter and then she returned and said "Dustin doesn't want to take the call" It was then that I realized I was dealing with a very special organization. Oh yeah and she also told me that they had charged my Visa card $415- MORE THAN $100 MORE THAN I HAD AGREED TO!!! I was transfered to the fraud department. An automated phone prompt system lead me to a message that told me to contact my Credit Card company and dispute any charges.

I phoned back and this time was connected to a much more squared away representative who put me on hold for a long period of time checking back with me infrequently to say that he was making headway. Finally he returned to say that he was going to connect me with a representative in Preferred Service who would arrange to have return packages sent for the three phones and send me out the Treo I wanted originally. Since this is getting kind of long the story ends with this guy telling me that the price of the Treo 650 is $599. I say that is not the price the original sales representative quoted me and there is deafening silence. So I have cancelled all of my lines with Sprint. They say they are going to cut me a check to refund all my money next week.

I am suspect of anything Sprint PCS says now.

I am so pissed off. When I asked the last guy I talked to at Sprint how something like this happened he said "Some guys just like to show a lot of sales" Unbelievable that a supposedly reputable company like Sprint would knowingly let this kind of thing go on.

And finally I am really, really bummed because I had done a lot of work and thought I had figured out that Sprint was the right choice for my Treo 650. I did not think to factor in the sleazy crook factor.

I don't know what I am going to do now besides wait and see if this thing with Sprint gets any worse.
    Should have suspected something is a miss.

The T650 is not $285 ! Read the ad, it is a after rebates and a 2 year commitment.

The $415 dollars is before rebate, you have to send it in and wait !
    You have to quit blaming the customer for everything. You blamed the other guy who got ripped off too. Who's fault is it when the people selling don't honor their word? And when they're dishonorable entirely like this Sprint guy?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    My brother used to be a Sprint rep and yeah...he says this is how the game is played, unfortunately. Usually this is done *without* the customer ever finding out (the padding of stats that is). He now works at Cingular corporate. Don't know how they work though...
    Recommend contacting Sprint HQ and bark as high up the chain as you can, getting all names/titles along the way. File a BBB fraud report as well.
    While it's all a pain in the @ss, others will be protected from these thieves.

I am a Sprint customer and (knock on wood) have't had a single issue.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Hrm... I bought mine online via amazon, plus got the rebates. I think you have to be careful with all retail salespeople, regardless of the company. Not blaming them, thats the system they find themselves playing in, and alot of them are close to starving. Good luck keep after them, Bob. My 2 cents, if interested -> I've found that if I keep moving the issue up their ladder, it'll eventually reach the desk where it's resolved. Understand that part of their technique is to play the 'waiting game' with you... they wear you down with it... maybe you'll just lose interest and go away. Keep the fire hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    You have to quit blaming the customer for everything. You blamed the other guy who got ripped off too. Who's fault is it when the people selling don't honor their word? And when they're dishonorable entirely like this Sprint guy?
    It also isn't necessary to quote a long post! Perhaps the Rep said he could give the discount immediately? We don't know for sure, but it doesn't help anyone to make them feel worse after the fact. I'm with Lady Treo on this one.
  13.    #13  
    I had a frustrating conversation with the fraud department. They felt it was not in fact fraud because I called and asked for something. When I pointed out that I did not get what I ordered. That I instead got three phones I did not want, a charge in an amount that I did not agree to and two phone lines I did not order it did not phase them in the least.

They said they were putting a note on my account and referring the matter to their internal corporate security. They are sending out return packages for the phones and will give me back my money when they have the phones.

IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING.

I am going to act as if what they told me is true, but pursue every avenue of recourse in case it is not. I will compose a letter to my credit card company tonight. I will also send one to Sprint's headquarters.

I am going to see about getting my 650 through VZW. I really want one. I just need to cool down a little and put some distance between me and the whole Sprint debacle.

I really appreciate all of the support you guys have given me in this. I will let you know how the saga, hopefully, resolves.

Bob
    That sucks.

First off, remember that the guy you spoke with probably doesn't actually work for Sprint. He's probably a CSR working for a big call center. He gets paid ~$8/hour, plus incentives for his sales.

That kind of experience is exactly why I record times and dates of all calls, as well as the CSR's name and badge/ID number. I can guarantee you that the original sales order is tied to the salesperson who placed it. If I were you, I'd ask a customer care rep to give you the salesperson's name/ID, and then include that in all of your correspondances.

If you REALLY want to see some results, call their corporate HQ. The CSR's aren't allowed to give that number out, but your state's utility commission can.

Did someone say you're in Mass? The Mass Dept of Telecom and Energy number is (617) 305-3500. I'd start there, and just tell them you're having troubles with a wireless carrier. Find out if they handle such complaints, and how you can file one. Ask them if they have the Sprint corporate number.

If you can get that, your chances of satisfaction go way up. If you want to play hardball, use phrases like "damage claim," "credit card fraud," "state utilities commission," and "police report."

The advice on calling your CC company is good. You don't want to rack up a bunch of chargebacks, but one every now and again won't hurt. Also, while you're on the phone filing the charge dispute, ask the CC rep about how to get the perp arrested. Is this something the local police will take care of, or do you need to call the SBI/FBI? It is, after all, interstate wire fraud.

Good luck!

Nareau

PS--I'm a Sprint customer, and I've had great experiences with them. I'm also an IT guy (who used to work in a call center), and I deal with the phone companies on a regular basis.
    Definitely have the charges removed from you credit card. AT&T also said they would credit back my debit card after the product's return . . but added that it could take up to 3 to 4 months for the credit to post.

May I also suggest using a method of shipping where you get a confirmation of reciept?

Good Luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by reverland
    Something similar happened to me, I am now a Cingular customer, while I am paying more I am just happy to not be a Sprint customer. I even filed a better business complaint.
    I'm glad you're happy with Cingular. But there are at least as many complaints from Cingular users on this forum as for Sprint. ALL the cellular providers have lousy service. It's the luck of the draw, when you call in, whether you get someone whos reasonably competent, totally incompetent, or maybe an outright liar. Actually, the odds of getting someone competent are worse than luck, because the good ones either get promoted or quit.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Avoid all this and buy OEM unlocked! I do this to all my phones I owned (PDA2k, P910i, and now Treo650).
  18.    #18  
    I ordered a VZW Treo 650 online - very smoothly.
    The price of the phone was good, no changing carriers.
    I came home tonight and it was waiting for me.

I am a Treo owner!!!!

Thanks for all the guidance.

Next up the newbie questions!

Bob
    I'd suggest one other course of action. File a complaint on www.fcc.gov. Sprint took 4 weeks to switch my phone from another carrier and I filed a complaint with the fcc. They did follow-up and that gave Sprint a kick in the behind to get things done. Phone companies are required to respond to all complaints submitted to the fcc.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    For the last 6 months I've been resisting the urge to buy a new 650, aided by the lack of service at the stores I'd visited and the fact that I could get a better deal by cancelling and re-signing after the contract was up. Still remember the months-long wait for rebate 3 years ago when I bought my 300.

My (second, a replacement that came from the insurance company overnight) Treo 300 battery stopped holding a charge after 2 years. I went to the store next to work, thinking I would have to buy a new battery and send my phone off for repair and was told that the defect was covered by my insurance and that it would be replaced by the store for $10, and to check back in a few days.

I went in 5 days later, with my printed order slip. But there was no record of an order or a charge to my account. The helpful young woman ordered the replacement after a bit of a wait and a lot of work on her part.

I went back 3 days later and was told that they would call me when the phone came in. I was out of town for 5 days, and called back about day 6, and was told no phone and no one would have ever called or promised to call.

I went in at day 15 after second order, was told no phone, asked to see a manager. Was put on the big-screen "waiting" board.

(During the wait, I overheard a salesman tell a woman about the wait for the rebate, but that they had a "great" rebate center and she could call them to check on the progress. Resisted urge to ask "In what universe?")
    After 20 minutes wait, I noticed my name was off the board. I asked the door-keeper why and what should have been an obvious question: "Is there a manager in the store?"

She said she'd paged the manager. She asked around, called the back, and a couple of minutes later, a harried young man came out.

He couldn't find a record that the replacement had been sent. I explained that I had less time left on my contract than I had been waiting for this phone and that I'd leave his store with a phone or go straight to Cingular where my husband has a company account for 10 or so employees.

Richard disappeared into the back of the store and came backe with a reconditioned 600 (without the cables or software) which he charged and set up.

Now, the phone keeps resetting the preferences, the screen sometimes will not respond to touch, and the SD card place holder won't stay in after I tried to fit a San Disk 128 card that I already had and which would not be recognized by the machine (although it knew there was a card there.).

Now, I have to find out if this phone can be replaced.

Funny, I keep waiting for someone to try to sell me a 650, but no one has.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast