1.    #1  
    I have a couple of custom ROM's available for downloading.

Please read all instructions, disclaimers, etc....

Why post the URL when the page isn't up?

Welcome to the new webdogg.net website! Our site has been recently created and will soon be available for your use. Our web designers are creating a new web-interface that will soon be online! In the meantime, please be patient while we are working to make these changes. A new page will be available soon!
    I would like to download one of these. PLease update us when the site is up and running, Thanks for posting the ROMs!
    I have emailed to your address asking for more info. but for the benefit of the forum I am posting this to ask what exactly is a Custom ROM, how does it improve performance on the Treo 650...and how is was installed onto the device ?
  5.    #5  
    Sorry!!! My bad!!!

I was working on the site. Apparently, when I do that, it gives people an "unavailable".

I need to update it SOME TIME!

I do have a full time job.
    Quote Originally Posted by jctonett
    Sorry!!! My bad!!!

I was working on the site. Apparently, when I do that, it gives people an "unavailable".

I need to update it SOME TIME!

I do have a full time job.
    Congratulations!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Consul
    I have emailed to your address asking for more info. but for the benefit of the forum I am posting this to ask what exactly is a Custom ROM, how does it improve performance on the Treo 650...and how is was installed onto the device ?
    The original reason I wanted a custom app was to get rid of apps that reside in ROM that I either didn't like (Real Player), didn't use (Tutorial, other languages), or found unstable (VersaMail). There is only 7.1MB of ROM on the 650; but by eliminating these apps, I freed up 1MB. I could then put in apps that I liked (SnapperMail), and save a little RAM on my device.

So, I saved some RAM, and also have the advantage that because these apps reside in ROM, when I do a hard reset, they are still there, unlike apps residing in RAM. I travel a lot, and this is a small advantage...I back-up every night, so if I have a problem that requires a hard reset (which only happened once on my 600), restoring is not that big a deal.
  8.    #8  
    Whoops! I forgot one thing. Directions for installing are on my website (when it is up!)

I prefer the SD method, as I find it cleaner and easier...almost foolproof.

I will say that messing with a Treo's ROM is a dangerous business, and I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't confident you can restore it if you mess up.
    hmmm, those instructions look familiar...have I seen those somewhere before?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    hmmm, those instructions look familiar...have I seen those somewhere before?
    Ah yes...I suppose I should credit you, but people keep *****ing if I take the site down to edit....

I did keep the monkey part in...

Thank you for your instructions.
    JC, thanks for doing this. Very much appreciated!! Are you thinking of doing other custom roms? I'd be interested in seeing a few more apps in ROM besides Snapper like TreoGuard, LauncherX, Datebk5, and Palmary Clock.
    Ah yes...I suppose I should credit you, but people keep *****ing if I take the site down to edit....

I did keep the monkey part in...

Thank you for your instructions.
    muchos gracias and keep up the nice work!
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    a totally stripped down version of 1.23, similar to jctonett's. This is tried and tested by yours truly and without the hassle of being asked for a donation .

Features of this rom:

- All languages other than English removed.
    - Real Player, Versamail, Tutorial and World Clock Removed.
    - No programs added to Rom.

Use the SD card method to install.

>>1.23 Bare<<
  14.    #14  
    Um...the only reason I ASKED (please note I specifically said it is NOT required) is to help pay to maintain the website. Anything over and above this on a monthly basis is donated to charity.

I don't need the money...I do okay in my day job.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by disenchanted
    a totally stripped down version of 1.23, similar to jctonett's. This is tried and tested by yours truly and without the hassle of being asked for a donation .

Features of this rom:

- All languages other than English removed.
    - Real Player, Versamail, Tutorial and World Clock Removed.
    - No programs added to Rom.

Use the SD card method to install.
    Very nicely done!!! Do you mind if I post this on my website?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by curlykraut
    JC, thanks for doing this. Very much appreciated!! Are you thinking of doing other custom roms? I'd be interested in seeing a few more apps in ROM besides Snapper like TreoGuard, LauncherX, Datebk5, and Palmary Clock.
    Well, I''m kind of doing this for my own entertainment, but yes, I am willing to do more.

The problem is the word "custom". I did one today for someone who wanted SnapperMail enterprise edition, which was not a problem since she sent me the .prc.

If you send me the .prc's, I can do it. However, I am reluctant to add something that isn't known to work, because I might not have time to support it. If you are willing to take that chance, I'm willing to do it though (I have some free time right now...LOL)

By the way, I have upgraded to FW 1.23..
    Very nicely done!!! Do you mind if I post this on my website?
    Sure, go right ahead.

you might want to look into spymac.com for a free hosting solution. There are also quite a few other free hosting solutions, google.com can show you the way.