Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    Is there any way to perform a GSM network selection (while out of the country) with the Treo 650 [Unlocked GSM] ? I was stuck on SOS-Emergency Only while in the Caribbean, whereas my Cingular "Blue" (former ATTWS) SIM card automatically picked up a local provider.

I have Cingular (using a 64KB SIM), but am unable to find a way to switch GSM networks. The purpose would be either selecting a stronger GSM provider (ie: T-Mobile over Mannesmann in Germany), better rates or just using any valid provider.

-josh
    On my GSM Treo 600 I can select other providers from the Select Network option under the Options menu in the phone app.
    this would be a great app. for someone to develop - unless someone already has, and it's floating around out there in Treoland...
    You have the same option on the Treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne
    You have the same option on the Treo 650.
    You may. I don't. There's no sign of a Select Network option on my 650 running the 1.23ROW firmware. Perhaps it's SIM-dependent.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Correct, Cingular disables network select on all its SIM's. If you put a AWS or T-Mo SIM in the same phone, it will show network select, but it won't even show if you have a Cingular SIM in there
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    Correct, Cingular disables network select on all its SIM's. If you put a AWS or T-Mo SIM in the same phone, it will show network select, but it won't even show if you have a Cingular SIM in there
    Interesting. I'll have to try it with the wife's ATTWS SIM tonight.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I don't get it either. I think all Cingular SIM cards have that option disabled. I wonder if there is a way to re-enable it. I'm in NYC and my cell phone often roams on to T-Mobile's network which doesn't support edge (Cingular and T-Mobile share their network out here).
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    Thanks Everyone!!! Cingular does disable this, and it's really pissing me off. I'm going to get a T-Mobile SIM for international travel (or use my ATTWS one from my Blackberry).
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Interesting. I'll have to try it with the wife's ATTWS SIM tonight.
    Sure enough, dropped the wife's SIM in last night, the option appeared, and I could see two Cingular services (presumably orange and blue) and T-Mobile.
    It sounds really stupid that you don't have that option. I live in Sweden and my phone is locked to an operator (through the SIM card, not the phone itself) and I still have the option to see which networks are available even if I can't choose them in Sweden. When I go to another country i can see all available operators but I can only choose operators that my local operator has a co-operation agreement with (which so far - 7 years - has been all available operators...).

Guess you have to come to Sweden!!!! I should start working for the Swedish tourist board!!!
    I agree, it's a stupid restriction because even if you caa multiple carriers, they will only allow you to use their network if they have a co-op agreement with Cingular. If not, then they will only accept emergency calls.

In fact, this bloody-mindedness by Cingular could even potentially be life-threatening! In the (admittedly unlikely) scenario of an emergency situation in an area where Cingular coverage was marginal but there was a T-Mobile tower nearby, there's no way to force the phone to abandon the crappy CNG service and use TMO for an emergency call.
    Well, I guess you have to move to this wonderful country where you have that choice (AND the midnight sun!)
    You should just call Cingular and ask them "Why you can't roam in the carribean" with your Cingular SIM but can with your AT&T SIM.
    They probabally know the answer and should fix it for you if the answer is that you're supposed to be able to.
    Manual network selection wouldn't help (even if you had it) if your account is not authorized to roam to that network under a Cingular plan. You'd be able to select it, but it would fail to register on that tower.

Oh, and by the way. Yes Cingular disabled manual nework selection in their SIMS years ago. You're forced to do automatic selection. However, automatic should still pick up another roaming partner if it can't find a Cingular tower. You just can't manually do it when Cingular is in range.
    This is the downside to "no roaming charges in the US." Now that you're not paying for it and they are, they don't want you to do it intentionally.
    There's no way around it that I've found (and I've looked.) except to edit the firmware on a phone to ignore this SIM setting. It has been done on some brands of phones, and I really wish someone would come up with a hack on the Treo, but no one seems to be intrested in working on one.

Check the roaming agreements here:
    http://www.cingular.com/customer_ser...we/0,,,00.html
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    You should just call Cingular and ask them "Why you can't roam in the carribean" with your Cingular SIM but can with your AT&T SIM.
    They probabally know the answer and should fix it for you if the answer is that you're supposed to be able to.
    I called them and they wanted me to talk to "international tech support." Their claim was "we probably don't have service there" (when clearly someone else does). I was waiting for them to tell me my phone didn't support the network so I could go balisitic.

They had to be kidding me. Auto network selection on Blue worked flawlessly two years in a row. Auto network selection on Orange was SOS/Emergency only.
    Hey,
    Don't give up. Keep calling until you get someone who can give you a straight answer. Go ahead and tell them that your AT&T wireless phone is able to roam there but your Cingular phone is unable to, so you know there's a compatible company there.
    Ask them to "fix your cingular account so it will roam" and take the assumption that your account is somehow broken (play stupid.)

Also, make sure that international roaming is in fact enabled on your account. I talked to Cingular CS one time and they told me that you will not be able to make international calls (and I think they also meant you can't roam internationally) if it's not turned on in your account, and it's disabled by default. Not sure about the roaming part, but being restricted from making the calls I'm sure of. I think they do this to prevent people from racking up charges accidentally.

I guess I should have mentioned this first, but I didn't remember until just now.

Also, in the treo in the phone application. Press Menu>options> and there's an item called "Call barring..."
    You'll see two items under "Bar these types of calls"
    Outgoing: International
    Incoming: None

If you try to change these it asks you for a call barring password that you need to get from your service provider. I called Cingular to get that password and that's when they told me about it being disabled unless you call and ask them to enable it.
    I don't think they give out the call barring password. Rather I think that screen reflects the settings that CS makes on their side for you.

So start there, by asking if your account even allows international roaming and don't just take a "yes or no" answer, ask them to check your account and make sure because ... well explain the AT&T can roam but Cingular can't thing to them.

But push and push until you get a real answer, that's what I found you sometimes have to do with them. Most of the time I get a great answer the first time I call, sometimes I can call 5 times before I get competence. I don't mean to say Cing. sucks, in general I'm very happy with the service/support, but sometimes you get into a technical area where they don't want to figure out the answer for you, roaming is one of them.

I couldn't get a straight answer about coverage in the Clearlake, CA area. I called and asked if I'd roam on to Edge wireless (a company that covers much of northern CA, and Oregon) at clearlake because Cingular has no coverage there. They kept telling me no, or they had no way of knowing. But when I went up there I roam on to Edge wireless just fine. Pretty weak if they don't have to tools to know what their own roaming partnerships are.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I have used both my 650 and my wife's 600 in Italy and Germany without problems. There is no network selection option (stupid and irritating), but I have never lost coverage because of the lack of the option.

If you are willing to buy a SIM from another carrier, try Riiing. It allows roaming throughout Europe and is far cheaper than Cingular. If you are staying in one country, consider purchasing a local carrier SIM as that would be even cheaper. Cingular charges about $1.30 per minute for incoming and outgoing calls in Europe. That adds up in a hurry.
    To add my .02:

I was travelling in London earlier this year (from San Francisco). I could use the phone fine using Cingular's 32k SIM on O2. However, often when I traveled by tube, I'd come out to find my phone using Vodaphone. I could still make calls, but was unable to access data. Often this happened in areas where I had had great service by O2 earlier. I wished I had been able to manually select the network. I'd be all for a hack that would enable this.
    I've had trouble with Vodaphone in Germany, where I could make calls but whenever anyone called me they drop into voice mail. I would then get a voice mail notification almost right away. I have an ATT WS phone and I was advised by AT&T Customer Service to change to another carrier (I've tried EPlus, O2 and T-Mobile D) and the problem was resolved.

I would consider not being able to select a network a problem when traveling internationally. Where I go my phone tends to select Vodafone unless I specifically tell it to use something else and Vodafone has caused me the problem above multiple times..
    I beg to differ. My Cingular 650 does not show the menu option in the US, but, with the same SIM, does show it in Europe. In Amsterdam, for example, I switched between, as I recall, the Vodaphone and TMobile networks because one had edge and the other didn't. In other cities, I could see other networks, but I didn't make an attempt to select them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast