Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I have an AT&T card and I have unlocked my Treo 650. I can select another network with it. I don't have any experience with Cingular cards. Network selection is indeed something useful.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I have network select when I'm in Europe but not here. Phone still *not* unlocked. They tell me the codes (three 650s at the office) will be in my hands next week.
    Mize, my Cingular's unlocked but behaves the same as you report. It seems to be a function of the SIM and where it is? My phone, with the Cingular SIM, works so much better in Europe--no resets, no lost identities, no periodic Chatter wipe-out of inbox and settings, no problem with outgoing calls, and faster web browsing. The 3:00 am lights do seem to occur more frequently in Europe, though.
    Well, for data connections, verichat allows you to select your network. Listen to this fabuleax story. I was in France with my unlocked 650 and a rented SIM card. I was told by the rental carrier that I could not access data because it wasn't part of their package. I tried to test it, and it would not work. I went into verichat, changed the network, and VIOLA! I connected to orange enterprises gsm and was able to have full data functionality. The kicker? As far as I can tell, I have not been charged for it. My rental bill came and there was no charge. If they decide to bill me later, I will just say that "you told me there was no data!!"
    I just received the unlock code from Cingular, and unlocked the phone (Treo 650). I'm traveling to Italy this summer. What else do I need to do to use the phone there?
    No network selection for me on my treo 650 either. However, when using my Cingular 64K sim on my V600, I can manually chose the network. So, even though it is sim dependent, if your phone can by pass it, it could be done.

Ken
  7. kgw
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Hip
    I just received the unlock code from Cingular, and unlocked the phone (Treo 650). I'm traveling to Italy this summer. What else do I need to do to use the phone there?
    I just returned from Turkey and Czech Republic with my unlocked Cingular. We were able to use local SIM cards and the phone worked without difficulty. If you plan to use your Cingular SIM card it will not work in Europe even if unlocked since you must have International roaming enabled first by calling 611 and asking for this option. I did not know this until I got back to US since I would have liked to have used this option. I called Cingular and they said to get international roaming they usually require a full year of service first with Cingular. Otherwise you need to have approval from some Cingular higher ups to get this with less than a year of service. The cingular SIM would recognize the other networks but would not connect.
    It works on my SonyEricsson P910a as well. I have a Orange 64K SIM with the latest settings as of June 27th.

I ended up changing from a Treo600 to the SE910 so I could select networks. I am not sure it is SIM dependent, but have no clue why it would matter.

I was considering going back to a Treo650, but not if this is still going to be a problem.

I would have guessed it had to do with the Cingular f/w.
    I can select the network with my Cingular Blue (formerly AT&T Wireless) Treo 650. I've always been able to select it. I don't know if this is due to the SIM or the phone. I wonder if the latest firmware upgrade enables network select when used on a Cingular Orange phone.
    Does using a Cingular SIM disable the network selection on even an "unbranded" Treo650 (straight from PalmOne), or is it only disabled on the Cingular branded 650s?
    I am currently Cingular Blue with an unbranded 650 & thinking of switching to Orange. Maybe this will make me reconsider switching...
    Quote Originally Posted by jskier
    Does using a Cingular SIM disable the network selection on even an "unbranded" Treo650 (straight from PalmOne), or is it only disabled on the Cingular branded 650s?
    I am currently Cingular Blue with an unbranded 650 & thinking of switching to Orange. Maybe this will make me reconsider switching...
    It disables the manual network selection on ALL PHONES, regarless of if it's a Treo, a Motorola, Nokia, or whatever. Any GSM phone you stick that SIM card in to will not have manual network selection enabled.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I had the same problem in Mexico last week. Cingular has an agreement with TelCel only, so that is the only provider you can "see". If Cingular or a partner are not available, you get only SOS service (think this means Same Old Sh*t?). Cingular did offer (and I readily accepted) to unlock the phone. I did that but was still not able to select another provider. I would have had to get a new SIM from a local provider other than TelCel. I would be very interested in a hack to allow network selection on Cingular SIMs.
    I am a sprint user but I have a friend who is a cingular user that wants to buy 650... for the sole use of the blue tooth upgrade... the problem is that cinguler does not have an upgrade... here is my question... can he buy an unlocked 650 and use it with is current sim card? and if so where can he purchase one?
    thanks in advance...
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    I bought my unlocked T650 in Atlanta Airport (palmOne branded store - Airport Wireless is the actual vendor).

He can also get it directly from palmOne.com.

And yes, he can use any SIM card in the unlocked T650.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    I had the same problem in Mexico last week. Cingular has an agreement with TelCel only, so that is the only provider you can "see". If Cingular or a partner are not available, you get only SOS service (think this means Same Old Sh*t?). Cingular did offer (and I readily accepted) to unlock the phone. I did that but was still not able to select another provider. I would have had to get a new SIM from a local provider other than TelCel. I would be very interested in a hack to allow network selection on Cingular SIMs.
    Manual network selection wouldn't have helped you in this situation.
    While you would have had the oportunity to manually select the mexican network (vs. just seeing 'SOS only') the phone would have failed to register with the network leaving you service-less anyhow.
    In other words, Cingular simply won't let you roam on to that network.
    This is the argument for the automatic only setting, if you CAN roam on that network, the phone will do it.
    Example: When I put in my TMobile pre-paid SIM, I can see the Cingular network, manually select it, but the network rejects my phone/SIM.

Still I want that manual network selection feature back.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Ed Zachary..
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    My original solution was to use my AT&T Wireless SIM card.

AT&T allowed you to pretty much roam on any network (UTS in St. Maarten). However, as I recently learned, providers have become much more careful/guarded as people weren't paying their local providers (ie: AT&T) and the Int'l providers were getting screwed (UTS). So now they either "cap" it per person (30 minutes of talk time) or network provider (all Cingular users get so many minutes before they block calls).

Ultimately the billing systems have to improve, but this is meaningless as we'll continue to see "SOS Only" unless we go with T-Mobile...

-josh
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    It disables the manual network selection on ALL PHONES, regarless of if it's a Treo, a Motorola, Nokia, or whatever. Any GSM phone you stick that SIM card in to will not have manual network selection enabled.
    unfortunately your statement is not 100% true. I have a Mot V525 unlocked that when i pop my cingular sim in, I can manually select which network I want to be on. So it is a sim based lock, but some phones can overide or ignore the lock. I just hope someone can firgure it out for the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisL77
    unfortunately your statement is not 100% true. I have a Mot V525 unlocked that when i pop my cingular sim in, I can manually select which network I want to be on. So it is a sim based lock, but some phones can overide or ignore the lock. I just hope someone can firgure it out for the 650.
    That's obviously what I meant. The lock 'setting' is in the SIM, it's up to the phone to enforce it. All phones that work properly will enforce that lock.
    Your V525 basically has a 'bug' in it that ignores the SIM lock.
    So back to update my original statment:

The POINT IS, it's not the Treo, it's the SIM. This is what I'm trying to communicate on here to those who are not clear.

As I've said before, some people have hacked some phone firmwares to ignore the lock setting in the SIM, thereby allowing manual network select.
    So hacking the phone software or firmware can be done if someone can figure out how.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12