1.    #1  
    Well, the question is deeper than the subject line. I started using a Palm device back with the 128. Got a 512 as soon as those were out. Pretty much stayed cutting edge every since, except for getting "stuck" with the Kyocera 6035 for a long time since even though it sorta sucked, it was VERY nice finally having to only carry one device instead of two. The 7135 was a blessing when it came out for all the "upgrades" that it brought. I should have gone to a Treo 600 long ago, but I resisted, but now a 650 will be my next phone (now that they are finally happening on Verizon).

That said, I've maintained all my databases that I started on that first Palm device. Well, I think it goes all the way back...I see appointments in April of 1997 still. :-) The drill has always been to move your saved_prefs file and copy the stuff over and sync. Blam. But is that a good idea at this point? Or is there a better way to sync less? I like the idea of having that appointment data archived somehow, but I guess I don't need to be wasting Palm memory with it. I'm also worried there's just a lot of bug created "cruft" from way back in there that may haunt me at some point. Should I get more selective in what I copy over, at least? Or is there a way to archive and trim old appointment data?

Any guidance would be appreciated. My contacts aren't huge, but I certainly wouldn't want to retype them in, either. But again, I'm not sure that database is in perfect shape. Though it may be...*shrug*

--Donnie
    Here's what I did and had no problems with either the 7135 --->600 u/g or the 600 ---> 650 u/g. I went into Palm desktop on my pc and exported all the data I wanted. I then uninstalled all Palm software from my PC and manually deleted what wasn't uninstalled. Then, of course, I installed the 650 software and synced a virgin phone. Then go into the Desktop software and import all contacts and appointments. Voila! A virgin Treo with all your contacts and appointments there!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. Sounds like a good plan. I should have mentioned I saw that as an option since that's exactly the kind of thing I wanted feedback on. Amazing to think that I have been using the same DB's this long with no real trouble, though!

--Donnie
    I miss the 7135, but not the crashes.

Enjoy the 650, a much better machine.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I just replaced the Verizon 7135 with a Cingular 650 a week ago and honestly I am a bit disappointed. Maybe I have gotten too used to the Kyocera.
    Here are my gripes (hopefully somebody knows a better way):
    • When using a Palm application and the phone rings, it is impossible to get back into the application without having to go through the menu first (Kyocera had the phone key on the graffiti area)
    • I can't dial a number in a Memo. With the Kyocera I was able to highlight any number anywhere and hit the phone icon on the graffiti area. I'm trying 3rd party software now to resolve this.
    • Searching for contacts is difficult. It doesn't just give me the "Lookup line" to enter the Company name when I enter it, but instead searches under names and companies and gives too many result while missing the one I'm looking for.
    • After editing a contact and clicking done it doesn't highlight the contact so that you can dial it, but instead lists the top contact with the same first letter. What a drag!
    • Phone always turns off just after the call finishes
    • The 650 turns on and off constantly when it looses and regains reception and has bluetooth activity
    • NO VOICE DIALING! This is a huge minus. With the Kyocera I just hit the button on the headset and it asks for the name and voila! I don't know how the $3/month voice dial feature works, but it's probably a hassle it has to dial into the network to do that and it probably won't work when I'm out of the country roaming.
    • No Graffiti. I'm looking for a software that I ran into before to draw letters on the screen. It's cumbersome for me to hold the stylus to select something and then have to release it to type or delete text.
    • Many cool OS 4 applications don't work on the 650 anymore

The main reason I switched to the 650 was because I needed GSM coverage for European travel. I was also driven to the 650 because I was interested in having Bluetooth and the high res screen with the faster processor. Other than that the Kyocera is better in every way. So hopefully I get used to these shortcomings or find solutions.
    Last edited by philippz; 06/13/2005 at 02:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philippz
    I just replaced the Verizon 7135 with a Cingular 650 a week ago and honestly I am a bit disappointed. Maybe I have gotten too used to the Kyocera.
    Here are my gripes (hopefully somebody knows a better way):
    • When using a Palm application and the phone rings, it is impossible to get back into the application without having to go through the menu first (Kyocera had the phone key on the graffiti area)
    • I can't dial a number in a Memo. With the Kyocera I was able to highlight any number anywhere and hit the phone icon on the graffiti area. I'm trying 3rd party software now to resolve this.
    • Searching for contacts is difficult. It doesn't just give me the "Lookup line" to enter the Company name when I enter it, but instead searches under names and companies and gives too many result while missing the one I'm looking for.
    • After editing a contact and clicking done it doesn't highlight the contact so that you can dial it, but instead lists the top contact with the same first letter. What a drag!
    • Phone always turns off just after the call finishes
    • The 650 turns on and off constantly when it looses and regains reception and has bluetooth activity
    • NO VOICE DIALING! This is a huge minus. With the Kyocera I just hit the button on the headset and it asks for the name and voila! I don't know how the $3/month voice dial feature works, but it's probably a hassle it has to dial into the network to do that and it probably won't work when I'm out of the country roaming.
    • No Graffiti. I'm looking for a software that I ran into before to draw letters on the screen. It's cumbersome for me to hold the stylus to select something and then have to release it to type or delete text.
    • Many cool OS 4 applications don't work on the 650 anymore

The main reason I switched to the 650 was because I needed GSM coverage for European travel. I was also driven to the 650 because I was interested in having Bluetooth and the high res screen with the faster processor. Other than that the Kyocera is better in every way. So hopefully I get used to these shortcomings or find solutions.
    someone needs to write a utility to get us back to the software we were using when the phone interupted (don't they always call at the wrong time)
    The contact search is very powerful and you will get used to it.
    The os4 applications usualy have an os5 upgrade. Give examples and someone will point you in the right direction.
    I've never used graffiti and don't have to miss it.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html