1.    #1  
    Ok, so I realize that the 32k vs. 64k SIM card issue has been discussed here before. However, I find that there are post stating that either will work and that other than size, there's no real difference.

I am a NYC Cingular customer and just recently purchased a T650, unbranded. I signed up for the PDA unlimited connect yesterday because it seems that Cingular has figured out a way to limit bandwidth to those using the MediaNet unlimited plan (at least here in NYC). After upgrading my data package to the PDA unlimited, I noticed my speed hadn't change at all (approx 28kpbs and sometimes as low as 13kpbs).

After a quick visit to my local Cingular store, they explained that the new 64K SIMS allow the phone to scan the latest network upgrades/parameters allowing me to take advantage of any new improvements.

In short, as soon as the new chip was inserted into my Treo, I immediately experienced EDGE-like speeds of 100kbps and above. And it cost me nothing. So if anything, get the upgraded card for the peace of mind of knowing it's the latest upgrade...and the extra storage capacity is always welcomed.
    Is there any way to tell which size sim is currently in the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Souren
    Is there any way to tell which size sim is currently in the phone?
    Take it out and read the markings on it.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I just tested my throughput at DSLreports. With my media account I got 108kbits/sec. Located in the suburbs of Boston with full signal strength.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I'm still trying to figure out a compelling argument for walking in to a Cingular store and asking them for a free 64K SIM upgrade. In California there's no issue with EDGE on my 32K SIM. And the guys at the Cingular store seem to think there's nothing special about the 64K SIM except that it holds more phone numbers. I've asked them.
    It's not like I can say I have a specific problem and that tech support said I need a 64K SIM to fix it.

What is a good thing to say to justify asking for a 64K SIM (for free.)

I guess I can say I recently took a trip to NYC and had data trouble and was told by Cingular tech support that I need the 64K SIM. That's partly true (except that I had no problem with data when I was there 2 weeks ago.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I still have the 32k sim and just got 120kb/sec. I work in Jersey City, right across from Manhattan.
  7.    #7  
    I hear ya. I realize some people have no issue, but I started getting higher data speeds only after inserting the 64k SIM chip. Now, the guy at Cingular says that this SIM chip allows the phone to scan the latest/newest network and enhancements. I don't know what kind of system information is in the card itself...but it worked for me.

Furthermore, my collegue who purchased his Cingular Treo last Friday and signed up for the PDA Unlimited plan also has the new 64K chip. When we swapped out chips, my unbranded phone suddenly achieved EDGE speeds with his card, and his Treo was only getting GPRS with my old 32K chip.

Like I said...if anything, you get the newest card available with extra storage space (not that you're likely to use it in favor of your SD card or in-phone memory for your contacts).
    Quote Originally Posted by camilomachado
    I hear ya. I realize some people have no issue, but I started getting higher data speeds only after inserting the 64k SIM chip. Now, the guy at Cingular says that this SIM chip allows the phone to scan the latest/newest network and enhancements. I don't know what kind of system information is in the card itself...but it worked for me.

Furthermore, my collegue who purchased his Cingular Treo last Friday and signed up for the PDA Unlimited plan also has the new 64K chip. When we swapped out chips, my unbranded phone suddenly achieved EDGE speeds with his card, and his Treo was only getting GPRS with my old 32K chip.

Like I said...if anything, you get the newest card available with extra storage space (not that you're likely to use it in favor of your SD card or in-phone memory for your contacts).

32k or 64k has nothing to do with edge speed. only reason your getting a better speed in NYC is because recently cingular has and still is pushed all NYC customers from Tmobile tower to ATT towers. this change has been going on for the last few weeks. Trust me I support NYC market for cingular. hope that helps.
    On the DSL Reports speed test site, which file size seems to be the best for running a speed test?
    I can confirm 64k SIM card has nothing to do with edge speed. It was confirmed by my local GSM operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireless_Guru
    On the DSL Reports speed test site, which file size seems to be the best for running a speed test?
    Use the largest file that you can, to maximize the content-to-overhead ratio.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro