1.    #1  
    Ok. I have read about both of these, they seem to basically do the same thing. I want to get one of them but would like some feedback on what they do. I want to assign different tones for SMS, and I have a T600 so both will work. You suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
    Callfilter is a fabulous product with a few bugs but the developer made his money and ran. This guy is not a business-minded coder, but he is a really good coder.

Callshield handles sounds better but more akward for creating rules, however the developer has a pulse. Also, its 5 bucks cheaper.

However, mRing by MotionApps is what I would pick for your stuff. Those guys are some of the finest developers for the PalmOS. Their stuff always works. I wish the buttons were taller but they get 5 stars for stabilty and its only $13.

D
    While the developer might have a pulse he hasn't put any work into Callshield for some time as far as I know and doesn't respond to any inquiries either.
    Much like the developer for Callfilter IMO.
    Neither works correctly on the 650 still and there's no indication either will for the forseeable future.
    Have nothing to add to this conversation, but when I saw "Primate", I had to see for myself...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Agreed. Call Shield is kinda stuck too. Maybe the 650 doesn't work the same way the 600 does for call handling and thats why these products are a noshow. I have my fingers crossed but I won't buy a 650 until one or the other is available most likely.

Derek
    Callfilter for the 650 is indeed on hold right now, developer is dealing with some personal matters. But I still run the support, so emails sent in to Callfilter's support still get answered. On the 600 Callfilter is solid, I can't remember the last person that I haven't been able to at least set up with a decent workaround for their problem.

There are a lot of differences between the 600 and 650. PalmOne regeared the 650 to be more inline with their tungsten line of pda's which aren't phones. So a lot of the intface is pretty rough for a developer.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by tippymn
    Ok. I have read about both of these, they seem to basically do the same thing. I want to get one of them but would like some feedback on what they do. I want to assign different tones for SMS, and I have a T600 so both will work. You suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
    Why not download each and try them for a week or so ?
    Mantra Group is back to working on Call Shield - they have it in beta at this time and when they have a CDMA problem worked out, it'll be released. Ben
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Mantra Group is back to working on Call Shield - they have it in beta at this time and when they have a CDMA problem worked out, it'll be released. Ben
    Any kind of time frame?
    They've released a new beta... Version 2.5. The only bug that has been listed is a CDMA bug. If the calling party hangs up before you answer or ignore the call, it will feeze a CDMA phone. I've testing a few other things (blocking, mp3 calling) and it appears to work as promised. For more details check out the end of this thread:

CallShield PRO 2.5 BETA
    Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware they were back to work on it.
    I had honestly given up on them and stopped following that forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    Callfilter for the 650 is indeed on hold right now, developer is dealing with some personal matters. But I still run the support, so emails sent in to Callfilter's support still get answered. On the 600 Callfilter is solid, I can't remember the last person that I haven't been able to at least set up with a decent workaround for their problem.

There are a lot of differences between the 600 and 650. PalmOne regeared the 650 to be more inline with their tungsten line of pda's which aren't phones. So a lot of the intface is pretty rough for a developer.
    That's Bu**s*it=%$@!
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanRagon
    They've released a new beta... Version 2.5. The only bug that has been listed is a CDMA bug. If the calling party hangs up before you answer or ignore the call, it will feeze a CDMA phone. I've testing a few other things (blocking, mp3 calling) and it appears to work as promised. For more details check out the end of this thread:

CallShield PRO 2.5 BETA
    I'm trying out the beta on an unlocked, unbranded GSM T650 and am having a problem getting the Play Midi Sounds choice to work; no matter what the choice, only the Alarm midi plays. Other than that, the app seems to work so far...I just wish a more complete directory tree was shown when specifying the MP3 directory.

Firmware: 01.21
    Software: Treo650-1.06/5050/0...
    I learned about Callshiled by this thread. Seems a replacement for CallFilter. But I don't want to register on their forums for trying it. Do they release it on any download link ?

edit: ok, I've found it...

let's see if we still need calfilter...
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Why not download each and try them for a week or so ?

Good idea...what a joke. Callfilter allows you only 5 rules...like that helps alot if I want to keep deleting and re-writing rules. Callshield I downloaded and then within 7-8 hours told me my eval was up to register and get a key code.

So let me ask a couple of questions. I didn't really get a chance to really test drive either one of these to my satisfaction.

I notice that Callshield has logging but it didn't seem to support the pop-up log after a call to make notes which went into the calendar....can someone let me know if it does or doesn't.
    Also does anyone know if Callshield returns support emails? Just wondering, posted both on their site and emails not a peep.

Thanks
    For what it's worth I'd have to say I have been using CallFilter on my T600 for months now and I am very happy with it. I have tried CallShield Pro and also Lightwav. I would dismiss Lightwav out of hand as I found it to be extremely buggy. The other two both gave me problems when I had Simple Profile Manager installed but since I removed it I have had no trouble at all. IMHO CallFilter is a little easier to use than CallShield and unless you are planning to upgrade to a T650 I can't see why you would worry about the holdup in further development. The keys are stability and usability I think.
    <HTML><BODY><FONT color=#000066><FONT size=5><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><B>PhilzGr8</FONT><MARQUEE id=Marquee2 style="WIDTH: 384px; HEIGHT: 17px" trueSpeed scrollAmount=1 scrollDelay=8 behavior=slide loop=1 border="0"><SPAN class=956281604-11022005><FONT size=1>Treo 600 User Par Excellence</FONT></SPAN></MARQUEE></B><BR></P></DIV>&nbsp;</BODY></HTML>
    I am still waiting for the new release of CallShield as Callfilter currently does not suport on Treo 650.