1.    #1  
    I just received the Globstat 338 device. It's working with Mapopolis nicely and I'm thinking of getting the TomTom 5 software when available. But I need info for hiking/riding/biking too.

What software gives the following info...
    odometer
    time moving
    time stopped
    total trip time
    current/max/avg speed
    eta, ete
    elevation/virtical speed

What software for Palm give this info?
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    CetusGPS and CotoGPS do most of that.

Just set a waypoint from where you start. And you can turn on "track" to get your position every minute or 10 seconds and you can later plot your route in mapping software
  3.    #3  
    Thanks much. I found both. They are good for freebies but I'd sure like to find something with all of the above in one program. Any pay apps out there that does most things you would find on a Garmin Geko?
    This is exactly the info I've been needing. Xeno, what is the performance like for your GPS unit? Is the accuracy good? Is the wake up time adequate? Have you taken it on a hike yet with your Treo? I'm trying to decide if a dedicated GPS unit is the way to go or if it is worth it to add this to my Treo.
    The outdoor navigator at maptech.com may do the trick. I recently bought it (19.99) for their marine maps. They have a huge database of maps, so you can probably find what you're looking for.

I just got it and am waiting for Navigator 5 to come out so that I can get it bundled with the 338, so I can't say how well it works with GPS, but for 20 bucks and unlimited maps, there's not much to lose.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by lauriefoss
    This is exactly the info I've been needing. Xeno, what is the performance like for your GPS unit? Is the accuracy good? Is the wake up time adequate? Have you taken it on a hike yet with your Treo? I'm trying to decide if a dedicated GPS unit is the way to go or if it is worth it to add this to my Treo.
    Laurie,

I have the BT-338 and it does perform generally well. Sometimes it takes a few attempts to get the BT connection going (a bit annoying compared to dedicated GPS) but once established, it's pretty stable. I haven't taken it on a hike yet but did try several apps while driving.

Mapopolis works well and is great for tracking on the road but provides very little extra info, such as what I'm seeking in first post. CetusGPS provides some of what I'm seeking but no ETA/ETE, no breadcrumb trail, not enough info on screen at once. But Cetus is useful.

I have a cheapy Garmin Geko 201, which provides info I want but it's cumbersome to get through all of the info on the small screen. I was hoping to get all of the same info displayed on one or two screens on the Palm. I have yet to find an app that does this.

The 338 is clearly more sensitive and more accurate than the Geko and it finds more sats. Battery life is fantastic. If I could just get all of the Geko info on Palm (in one or two screens), I'd be really happy. Is there Garmin software for Palm that can be purchased separately?

One downside to PDA GPS is that you may not be able hop between applications as it will not be able maintain tracking in all apps at once. That means on your trip/hike, you may need to commit to one app through the entire journey... depends on info you want out of it.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyGOP
    The outdoor navigator at maptech.com may do the trick. I recently bought it (19.99) for their marine maps. They have a huge database of maps, so you can probably find what you're looking for.

I just got it and am waiting for Navigator 5 to come out so that I can get it bundled with the 338, so I can't say how well it works with GPS, but for 20 bucks and unlimited maps, there's not much to lose.
    Thanks. I checked out maptech Outdoor Nav but it doesn't appear to provide the info I'm asking for above, unless I couldn't find it.

I don't need fancy screens and maps. I just want as much text info crammed onto one screen at once with a small, simple destination/direction indicator in the corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Thanks. I checked out maptech Outdoor Nav but it doesn't appear to provide the info I'm asking for above, unless I couldn't find it.

I don't need fancy screens and maps. I just want as much text info crammed onto one screen at once with a small, simple destination/direction indicator in the corner.
    According to the website and manual, there is a GPS Data box that can display some of this info except for elevation, which seems to only be available by reference to the topo maps. It doesn't appear to have a data only mode if that's all you want/need. but for only $20, it looks like a pretty good deal for off road navigation. Great find Randy.

See http://www.maptech.com/products/outd....cfm?infopg=df
    ftp://ftp.maptech.com/downloads/Manual_Palm.pdf
    Xeno,
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I haven't gotten this much detailed info in any of the threads I've read. I guess it comes down to trying to have one device that does a few things pretty well or having a couple of devices that each do one thing well.
    I need a GPS for biking as well as birding. And when I'm using the Treo for birding, I will need to use the GPS as well as use a database that I have written for the birding location I'm at. So since the multitasking seems to be a problem, maybe my answer is that I'll need to get a dedicated GPS unit for location and bread-crumbing and use the Treo for the database.
  10.    #10  
    No prob. I emailed the author of CetusGPS about adding the features below. Cetus has the basics down but would be fantastic if it had the following...

_____
    Basically I want the info in the first post but it would be great to find an app that has a simple list on one screen with the following (Garmin Geko 201 has these)...

• Elevation—the measurement of height above mean sea level.
    • Heading—the direction you are traveling.
    • Lat/Lon—the current GPS position.
    • Location—shows your current latitude and longitude.
    • Max Speed—the maximum speed traveled since last reset.
    • Moving Avg—(Moving Average) the average speed while the unit is moving.
    • Odometer—a running tally of distance traveled, based upon the distance between second-by-second position readings.
    • Over’l Spd—(Overall Speed) the averaged speed since your last reset, including stopped and moving time.
    • Speed—shows how fast you are going.
    • Sunrise—the time at which the sun rises on this day at the specified location.
    • Sunset—the time at which the sun sets on this day at the specified location.
    • Time of Day—the current time for the selected time zone.
    • Time-Moving—the time elapsed while the unit is moving since the last trip reset.
    • Time-Stop—the time elapsed while the unit is not moving since the last trip reset.
    • Time-Total—the total time you have traveled since the last trip reset.
    • Trip Odometer—the total distance you've gone since the last reset.
    • Vert Speed—( Vertical Speed) the rate of altitude gain/loss over time.

The following fields display figures only when navigating:
    • Bearing—the compass direction from your location to your destination.
    • Course—the direction from your starting location to a destination.
    • Final Dest—(Final Destination) the last waypoint on your route.
    • Final Distance—the distance from your current location to your destination.
    • Final ETA—the estimated time you will arrive at your destination.
    • Final ETE—the estimated total time left until you reach your destination.
    • Next Dest—(Next Destination) the next waypoint on your route.
    • Next Dist—(Next Distance) the distance between your current location and the next waypoint.
    • Next ETA—the estimated time you will arrive at the next waypoint.
    • Next ETE—the estimated total time left until you reach the next waypoint.
    • Off Course—the distance you are off a desired course in either direction, left or right.
    • To Course—the compass direction you must go to get back to the original course.
    • Turn—the angle difference (in degrees) from the bearing to your destination and your current line of travel. ‘L’ means turn Left, ‘R’ means turn Right.
    • VMG—( Velocity Made Good) the speed you are closing in on a destination along a desired course. Also referred to as the ‘vector velocity’ to your destination.

Would also like breadcrumb trails as the Geko does.

Any developers out there listening? Hikers and bikers would LOVE this info listed all on one scrollable screen. I really don't want giant indicators of 4 or 5 metrics. A simple, small direction/compass indicator with a list of the above metrics would be much more useful for hikers, bikers, etc.
    I see you have a Scala headset. My 338 arrives today and I'm wondering if you have had any problems using your GPS and headset at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    No prob. I emailed the author of CetusGPS about adding the features below. Cetus has the basics down but would be fantastic if it had the following...

_____
    Basically I want the info in the first post but it would be great to find an app that has a simple list on one screen with the following (Garmin Geko 201 has these)...

• Elevation—the measurement of height above mean sea level.
    • Heading—the direction you are traveling.
    • Lat/Lon—the current GPS position.
    • Location—shows your current latitude and longitude.
    • Max Speed—the maximum speed traveled since last reset.
    • Moving Avg—(Moving Average) the average speed while the unit is moving.
    • Odometer—a running tally of distance traveled, based upon the distance between second-by-second position readings.
    • Over’l Spd—(Overall Speed) the averaged speed since your last reset, including stopped and moving time.
    • Speed—shows how fast you are going.
    • Sunrise—the time at which the sun rises on this day at the specified location.
    • Sunset—the time at which the sun sets on this day at the specified location.
    • Time of Day—the current time for the selected time zone.
    • Time-Moving—the time elapsed while the unit is moving since the last trip reset.
    • Time-Stop—the time elapsed while the unit is not moving since the last trip reset.
    • Time-Total—the total time you have traveled since the last trip reset.
    • Trip Odometer—the total distance you've gone since the last reset.
    • Vert Speed—( Vertical Speed) the rate of altitude gain/loss over time.

The following fields display figures only when navigating:
    • Bearing—the compass direction from your location to your destination.
    • Course—the direction from your starting location to a destination.
    • Final Dest—(Final Destination) the last waypoint on your route.
    • Final Distance—the distance from your current location to your destination.
    • Final ETA—the estimated time you will arrive at your destination.
    • Final ETE—the estimated total time left until you reach your destination.
    • Next Dest—(Next Destination) the next waypoint on your route.
    • Next Dist—(Next Distance) the distance between your current location and the next waypoint.
    • Next ETA—the estimated time you will arrive at the next waypoint.
    • Next ETE—the estimated total time left until you reach the next waypoint.
    • Off Course—the distance you are off a desired course in either direction, left or right.
    • To Course—the compass direction you must go to get back to the original course.
    • Turn—the angle difference (in degrees) from the bearing to your destination and your current line of travel. ‘L’ means turn Left, ‘R’ means turn Right.
    • VMG—( Velocity Made Good) the speed you are closing in on a destination along a desired course. Also referred to as the ‘vector velocity’ to your destination.

Would also like breadcrumb trails as the Geko does.

Any developers out there listening? Hikers and bikers would LOVE this info listed all on one scrollable screen. I really don't want giant indicators of 4 or 5 metrics. A simple, small direction/compass indicator with a list of the above metrics would be much more useful for hikers, bikers, etc.
    you cannot use the headset and bt gps at the same time- the treo only allows one Bt connection at a time...
    from the description you're giving, there are no palm apps that support all that. there are a few Pocket pc apps that do however. your best bet is to try cetus or coto, but they don't have any mapping function at all...
    if you graduate to a pocket pc, there are numerous applications that do all that, some free, some rather expensive. you should try looking around at www.gpspassion.com they may have an answer in some of their in depth reviews.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
  13.    #13  
    ^I also have a PocketPC and haven't found any GPS apps that gives the info I want in first post. Cotus and Cetus also do not have much useful info for hikers/bikers - a tidbit but not enough. I have a new appreciation for Garmin as they peg down the details well. Is it possible to get Garmin iQue Palm software on a Treo 650?

I've already downloaded a GPS development kit for PPC and will attempt to write these myself. I wish Palm development were easier. PPC development is a snap in VisualStudio with GPS SDK. I was able to get PPC 'hello world' code running in no time. I already have a GPS frame running that gives info in Dashboard, etc... Took me 10 minutes after downloading the GPS SDK. I've given up on trying Palm development.
    Last edited by xenophonite; 05/20/2005 at 03:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyGOP

I purchased outdoor navigator and had problems with the maps I downloaded. Their support wasn't able to help me soI returned it. Kept getting errors about corrupt maps. Also, the downloaded maps were images, I would like to have some topos maps that are vector based.

I have Navigator 2004 (great program) and will be upgrading to Navigator 5 when it comes out.