Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Chatter and Gmail.

i have searched the net and most set ups I found applied to older versions of Chatter.

Is there a set up FAQ available?

Forget it.....I'm uninstalling.

edited by me:
    Last edited by Howitzer; 05/17/2005 at 07:35 AM.
    Yes, I'd stop using Gmail too!

Marc
    Good one, Marc.

ps - I love gmail. I think Google has just about assimilated me. I'm trying to resist, but it seems futile.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    They just need an IMAP interface and then I'll be a happy guy...

Marc
    Curious, with Snapper, when downloading from GMail, I get both sent and recieved in my inbox. I'm guess because of the "thread" nature of GMail. Is it the same in Chatter?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Yes, I'd stop using Gmail too!

Marc
    Oh, excuse me but how can gmail cause "database cannot be created" messages and then throw my phone into a uncontrollable reset loop that lasted 5 minutes?

And yes I had the new version that corrected the "database cannot be created".

Sorry that I was mistaken I will notify Gmail via Snapper because it works.
    So you're unhappy because a beta (marked in capital letters UNSTABLE on the site) was, um, unstable? I don't think that's very fair, do you? (That bug IS fixed in the latest beta, by the way.)

Marc

p.s. What of yours should I call a POS, by the way? I just want to make sure I'm responding in a manner that's appropriate.
  8.    #8  
    There's no need for the condescending remarks, the BETA worked best BTW. I couldn't get past the "database cannot be created" error with the stable version.

I wanted to try Chatter because of the very high marks it has received and Snapper seems to make my phone "hang" at the worst moments but it's still infrequent and Snapper provides full documentation for easy set up.

If your looking for the appropriate manner to respond try posting a Gmail FAQ on your website instead of recommending that a perspective user/buyer drops a service that works well for something that does not.

My most sincere apologys if I offended you if I could get your software to work like it has for others I'm sure I will be very pleased, POS came from the tip of my tounge as I watched my phone get stuck in the welcome screen during the 5 o'clock phone rush.

And I don't buy anything that's crap that's why I was attempting to use your software with hopes of moving to the next level.
    I have no problem with Gmail; I use it with Chatter myself (as do many other people). My condescending remark was aimed entirely at the rude, expletive-barely-deleted comment in your original post.

Perhaps VersaMail is crap (it has the longest history, has by far the most customers and easily the largest technical staff, and is arguably the most inexcusibly buggy); the fact that Snapper (with perhaps a half-dozen people and four years under its belt) and Chatter (just me and perhaps a year) can compete at all with it is testimony to a great deal of hard work and a devotion to customer support.

Marc
    i can personally attest to the fact that when I was having problems with gmail and chatter, Marc worked to resolve the problem my by adapting chatter to what turned out to be GMAIL's problem so it would work. And he did so the first day I had the issue. Ever since, chatter has worked absolutly perfectly for me and he is contantly making improvements to what I considr to be the most important and useful program on my treo.

So, before you go calling a product a POS maybe you should try emailing the customer support and posting something on a forum such as this....odds are someone else has had the exact same problem you are having.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Curious, with Snapper, when downloading from GMail, I get both sent and recieved in my inbox. I'm guess because of the "thread" nature of GMail. Is it the same in Chatter?
    So is there any way to not get my sent mail in the inbox?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23
    i can personally attest to the fact that when I was having problems with gmail and chatter, Marc worked to resolve the problem my by adapting chatter to what turned out to be GMAIL's problem so it would work. And he did so the first day I had the issue. Ever since, chatter has worked absolutly perfectly for me and he is contantly making improvements to what I considr to be the most important and useful program on my treo.

So, before you go calling a product a POS maybe you should try emailing the customer support and posting something on a forum such as this....odds are someone else has had the exact same problem you are having.
    Well I apologized and not too crypticly asked for help, instead of accepting the apology.

A good solution would be this, since the only real complaint I see about Chatter is Gmail support how about making a thread sticky about it on the support forum?

Digging through the threads looking for the info is what we do for freeware.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank

Perhaps VersaMail is crap (it has the longest history, has by far the most customers and easily the largest technical staff, and is arguably the most inexcusibly buggy); the fact that Snapper (with perhaps a half-dozen people and four years under its belt) and Chatter (just me and perhaps a year) can compete at all with it is testimony to a great deal of hard work and a devotion to customer support.

Marc
    IMO, your product is superior to Versamail. But how about a little support documentation regarding gmail?
    Last edited by Howitzer; 05/17/2005 at 06:39 AM.
    As someone who's been in the software business long enough to remember when POS meant "Point Of Sale", let me add a bit of perspective (which, btw, is a different word from "prospective"). I know the feeling of frustration that can overwhelm us when something is going wrong, but it's easy to forget there are real people with real feelings behind these products. Chatter is one of the most innovative and well-supported products I've ever encountered. Being a beta tester is a privilege, not a right, and it carries responsibilities. One of these is tolerance - both for the product and for its developer.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by tangible
    As someone who's been in the software business long enough to remember when POS meant "Point Of Sale", let me add a bit of perspective (which, btw, is a different word from "prospective"). I know the feeling of frustration that can overwhelm us when something is going wrong, but it's easy to forget there are real people with real feelings behind these products. Chatter is one of the most innovative and well-supported products I've ever encountered. Being a beta tester is a privilege, not a right, and it carries responsibilities. One of these is tolerance - both for the product and for its developer.
    I agree, and I said I'm sorry but how about some tolerance to the guy who blew his stack because his phone was locking up? @ over 6000 minutes of business usage a month it's easy to imagine what a pain a dead phone can be.

One small developers note that may help Marc, I did notice that the major problems started when I was configuring the accounts and an incoming call came in. Once I closed the call and went back to set up the phone went into reset. After I reinstalled I turned the wireless mode off and only got the database message and no resets.
    chatter is by far the most superior email app out there! marc is awesome & responsive customer service. I constantly plug it to visitors to shadowmites new irc chat channel: home.shadowmite.com
    but I do agree that their should be a easy to find link on chatter web site w/most commonly uses email acct settups for chatter (ie:FM, gmail, sprint, etc) as I & others have had to use snapper's site to locate generic mailbox/server settings to use for chatter. I believe if such a thing was @ chatter's site & kept up to date then many more would b less frustrated & more successful w/chatter & less aggrevation for marc. let's face it..most of peoples prob w/chatter likely stem from incorrect user setup (as I know), as the app itself is usually very stable (even the betas).
    my .02
    john... chatter ... chatter fan!
    howitzer - Yes, the problem occurs when the account creation process is interrupted (as with a phone call). The latest betas fix the problem, and (for older versions) there is a workaround. Finally, I'm sorry you got caught by the bug; until I tracked it down last weekend, I didn't realize how troublesome it could be.

Marc
  18.    #18  
    With that out of the way I am going to retry Chatter with out IMAP server via Gmail forwarding.
    Please feel free to contact me at chatteremail@imap.cc if you have any problems.

Marc
  20.    #20  
    I would like to say with the extraordinary help from marc I think I have the perrrrrfect email client running on my treo. I had a couple issues to work out but and marc stuck it out with me, I can honestly say that the tech support is second to none! even after I called his software a POS....now that's service!

I definitely recommend this product. For those who had problems missing calls with the pinging there is a great solution.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast