Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does the aformentioned combination work?

Are Real and Rhapsody the only way to enjoy a broad library of music on my 650?

I query this fine group for answers....
    I was large and in charge!
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I don't think the new Yahoo music will work with Ptunes. I read there site over and did not think it was compatible.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
  3.    #3  
    Very dissappointing if this is the case
    It is not compatible. Ptunes doesn't play protected wmas, but may in the future.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    In fact, the word is that they will play protected WMAs by the end of this month.
    My bet is that they will be the download type of protected wma, not the subscription type. Even in a month, I reckon, Yahoo music lovers will still be up a creek when it comes to the treo.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Hi Matt,

I believe you will likely be able to use Yahoo's service. We haven't tested it yet but essentially we will support any file that is DRM encoded. It will work on the Rhapsody and Napster To Go systems and so I think it will on the Yahoo one as well since they function in a similar manner. Regarding software, most companies will have their own download client but they are based off Windows Media Player and I believe they either need version 10 or it is recommended in order to use all the services. I can let you know if that is not the case but we recommend you upgrade to Windows Media Player 10 (which also means getting WinXP) as it is much better for transferring to portable devices than version 9 is.

Please be sure to visit our new "Featured Artists" page, where you can download free music and sample tracks from our featured artists! You will find the Featured Artist page at

http://www.pocket-tunes.com/artist/artist.htm

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

When responding, please reply to this message (leaving the case # in the subject line) rather than starting a new message.

Take care,
    Dave
    NormSoft Support Team
    NormSoft, Inc.
    www.normsoft.com
    C'mon NormSoft....consider this a cry to support Janus encrypted WMA's (Yahoo music and Napster to Go). That would be amazingly cool to fill my 2gig card with an ever-changing array of music. I have heard rumors of that on this site, but they were buried deep in a long thread. Combine that with Shoutcast and WOW! Musical Nirvana (or Zepplin or Floyd or Moby...who cares)
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
    I stand corrected. Thanks Matt.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlarsen23
    Hi Matt,

I believe you will likely be able to use Yahoo's service. We haven't tested it yet but essentially we will support any file that is DRM encoded. It will work on the Rhapsody and Napster To Go systems and so I think it will on the Yahoo one as well since they function in a similar manner.
    You've got at least one sale when it works. I've been sitting on the fence since my treo's headphone jack is munged (like everyone elses).

Signed up for Yahoo Music, very happy. Their selection isn't as good as iTunes, but at 4.99 a month, ($120 less per year than napster to go) its well worth missing a few songs and the cost difference I can buy the occasional one on iTunes, burn it then rip it back..
    The Yahoo Music setup is getting me thinking about canabalizing my Rio Carbon for the CF card and buying something compatible with YM.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigDog
    Their selection isn't as good as iTunes, but at 4.99 a month, ($120 less per year than napster to go) its well worth missing a few songs and the cost difference I can buy the occasional one on iTunes, burn it then rip it back..

I too must attest that the selection on Yahoo!Music is sparce in places. But, at a mere $4.99 per month for access to so much music, how can anyone complain?

I eagerly await the updated Pocket Tunes application for my Treo 650
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I use Tunebite . I believe if I purchase the song, I should be able to play the song on any device I want to.

Kirby
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
  14.    #14  
    Any updates from those who know?
    Do you mean download your music on the PC and transfer to the treo, or actually downloading from from the Treo?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by wifigenius
    Do you mean download your music on the PC and transfer to the treo, or actually downloading from from the Treo?
    Whilst it would be quite appreciable to download directly to the Treo, I shall be pleased with a two step process, download to my PC and then to my Treo.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I asked Yahoo if they were helping the PTunes folks make their software compatible with their music service. Here's their response:

Your device will need to be compatible with the WMA format in order to play content purchased from Yahoo! Unlimited.

Information on devices known to be compatible with the Yahoo! Music Engine can be found at the below address:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/music/...rtable-02.html

Other devices may be compatible as well, to check if your device meets our qualifications point your browser to the below web address:

http://www.playsforsure.com

In order to play music that you purchase through Yahoo! Unlimited, the device will simply need to be listed on the above page. However, if youwish to transfer Yahoo! Music Unlimited subscription content to your portable device, it will need to be additionally certified as 'subscription' compatible. To check this, select the 'advanced' search option from the Plays For Sure home page and perform a search with the
    'subscription' option checkmarked as one of the criteria. If your device is not listed within the results of this search, you will not be able to transfer Yahoo! Music Unlimited subscription content onto your device.

If your device is listed on the Play For Sure page, then it will appear within the Yahoo! Music Engine navigation bar once you have connected itto your system. You should then be able to transfer content from your system to your portable device simply by dragging and dropping songs from your 'My Music' library view. You may also select a playlist and
    choose the 'copy to device' button that will be shown.

I think the sad story here is that if you buy songs from them (at $.69 a pop), they'll play. If you want to be able to play songs you get through the $5/mo plan, it probably won't work. Your player needs to be certified as "subscription compatible", not just able to play protected WMAs.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I received an Email from Pocket Tunes customer support on the subject. They said that they will absolutely support subscription content. The next version will offer full support beginning with Rhapsody, and for an ETA I was told Very Very Soon.

Great News!!!
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Cool! I certainly hope you're right and I'm wrong.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    I hope the next version of Ptunes supports streaming WMA. WMA at 64k stereo sounds very good and there would be no skipping on a Treo 650. Streaming 96K MP3 sometimes buffers on me but 64K MP3 usually does not sound good, typically not in stereo either.

Look forward to radioio.com channels at 64K WMA.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast