Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Keep up the great work, RaNo!!
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by lappari
    Hi and a great proggy...

I might buy it if you would include Iceland
    lappari, help me create the database, and you'll get your licence for free. Just send me the data for your country. I know nothing about the numbering plan in Iceland, while you live there and must have at least some knowledge in this matter... Please PM me if you're up for it!
    RNS:: software for your Treo! www.ranosoft.net/treo
    Awesome app cool man! Thanks RNS.....btw, does the app recognize the correct region for cell phone numbers??

Peace Fred
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I just downloaded the cities database and I give you an A for effort, however, many cities in the US share area codes. I live in Greensboro, NC, and we share area codes with Winston Salem. I don't know how Sprint registered our phone numbers, but I know that I called a friend of mine who has Sprint and both of our phones said Winston Salem. That same friend had a friend of ours call from his Cingular Wireless phone and it displayed Greensboro. I'm interested in finding out how this works.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RaNo
    As I said, I will be thinking of letting users move all databases to a card. At the moment text databases must be in RAM while all others (the graphical databases) may be put either in RAM or on a card.
    If you do this, how about this for an idea... Keep a cache in RAM of the area code + prefixes as the phone receives calls from them. So, initially, all the 500k of database(s) are on an SD card. Then when a call somes in from (123) 456-xxxx, it goes to fetch the city name from the card (which, as you said, will probably be slow) and stores that result in a cache of a configurable size in RAM.

This would be a good compromise between storage space and efficient retrieval of the city name, and it wouldn't require users to *know* where their calls will be coming from (kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?) If done right, there will only be a delay the first time a call from that area code + prefix is received, up to the limit of the cache size.
  6.    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2
    Awesome app cool man! Thanks RNS.....btw, does the app recognize the correct region for cell phone numbers??

Peace Fred
    It depends on the numbering system in your country. For example in the USA it will work well.
  7.    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycpsu
    If you do this, how about this for an idea... Keep a cache in RAM of the area code + prefixes as the phone receives calls from them. So, initially, all the 500k of database(s) are on an SD card. Then when a call somes in from (123) 456-xxxx, it goes to fetch the city name from the card (which, as you said, will probably be slow) and stores that result in a cache of a configurable size in RAM.

This would be a good compromise between storage space and efficient retrieval of the city name, and it wouldn't require users to *know* where their calls will be coming from (kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?) If done right, there will only be a delay the first time a call from that area code + prefix is received, up to the limit of the cache size.
    Yes, that's what I was thinking about, too. Thanks for the idea, anyway!
    I just downloaded the city database. Do ALL of these have to reside in RAM; I sincerely hope not.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
  9.    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    I just downloaded the city database. Do ALL of these have to reside in RAM; I sincerely hope not.
    You can install only those states you're interested in. Anyway, yes - these databases must reside in RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaNo
    You can install only those states you're interested in. Anyway, yes - these databases must reside in RAM.

Approx how much room would installing all of them to RAM require?
    The reason I am asking is because, lets say CA isnt installed and I get a call from there, unless I already have CA database stored to RAM then the entire app would do me no good? CA is just an example of what I mean, but in all reality, I get calls from all over the US.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    So if I want the City and the State name to show up, do I install both sets? Or does the City databases include state information?

Also, I've got tons of space left over on my treo (yes, i'm weird), so I really wouldn't mind putting all the cities in. Would you create a comprehensive city database so that I only have to install one rather than 50+? Just seems easier when installing and uninstalling. Thanks!

Ben
  12.    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by idlepaw
    So if I want the City and the State name to show up, do I install both sets? Or does the City databases include state information?
    Yes, you have total control over what is displayed. The Cities database shows only city names, while the States database shows only state names. So you must install both to see State+City, or just one of them to see only state or only city

Quote Originally Posted by idlepaw
    Also, I've got tons of space left over on my treo (yes, i'm weird), so I really wouldn't mind putting all the cities in. Would you create a comprehensive city database so that I only have to install one rather than 50+? Just seems easier when installing and uninstalling. Thanks!

Ben
    At the moment it is technically impossible to create one big database with detailed information on the whole USA. The current verison of TreoAreaCodes does not support so huge databases, so I split it into separate states.

I'm planning this to be possible in TreoAreaCodes 2.0, though.
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex

Approx how much room would installing all of them to RAM require?
    The reason I am asking is because, lets say CA isnt installed and I get a call from there, unless I already have CA database stored to RAM then the entire app would do me no good? CA is just an example of what I mean, but in all reality, I get calls from all over the US.
    Installing all the 58 detailed USA databases will take up 1,3MB on the Treo 600 or 2MB on the Treo 650.

The advice is to install the "States" database to cover the whole USA - you'll know what state your caller is from. Then supplement it with the "Cities" databases of the states you are most interested in - you'll know the exact city for these states.
  14.    #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    I will probably give this shot, but this looks very cool But no cool things for Canada...we're easy to do
    And you're done now!
    Visit www.treoareacodes.com/databases to downlaod the new detailed Canadian database.
    This is a cool app. It would be nice if you could add the local time where the caller is calling from. Not sure if you can read the timezone and time off the treo but then you should be able to calculate the time in the location of the call. I'll buy the app anyway, but this would be a neat feature, particularly for overseas calls. Thanks
    I just purchased this app and am lovin' it.

Only issue I had was it needed to copy the Txt files to the RAM instead of the SD card. I travel allot and need to load just about every state but in the end it only took up about 1.7 megs.

When I first started up the program it asked me if I wanted to copy the files from the SD card to the RAM. The options were yes and no, if I chose no it asked me again when I started the program back up. So yes is the only solution, I accidentally hit the Home button when I was prompted and the Treo freaked and cycled through all the prompts and shut down.

But after I got past those few missteps I can not be happier.
    Just installed the trial.

I am getting both the application and my picture (partially cut off) assigned in the default contacts app coming up when I call my Treo from home.

Judging by what I've read so far this isn't suposed to happen right?
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    Just installed the trial.

I am getting both the application and my picture (partially cut off) assigned in the default contacts app coming up when I call my Treo from home.

Judging by what I've read so far this isn't suposed to happen right?
    Probably what you experience is caused due to a little bug of TAC on the Treo 650. This will be fixed in the next update.
    Quote Originally Posted by treostonecourt
    Not sure if you can read the timezone and time off the treo but then you should be able to calculate the time in the location of the call.
    I acutally agree this would be a pretty cool feature.
  20.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory J
    I acutally agree this would be a pretty cool feature.
    You know? I also agree Then I'll be introducing such databases.

However, because they will need some automation in TAC, then I'll have to enhance TAC, too (not only release the databases). So this may take some time...
    Last edited by RaNo; 06/29/2005 at 04:45 PM.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast