Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #81  
    This is rather impossible. Such information is not passed with the call.
    RNS:: software for your Treo! www.ranosoft.net/treo
    Quote Originally Posted by HLK
    How about an app that can determine what geographical location the caller is calling from??? If the caller has a New York City phone number but is on vacation in Miami FL I want to see that the call is coming from Miami.
    Dude, you've been watching too much Sci-Fi channel...

Al
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Interesting application.. I'd love to see US CITY information for incoming calls....
    You will see it soon We already have these databases in RNS::, but still we don't publish them, as they are now being checked by our betatesters...

Stay tuned!
  4.    #84  
    And there they are! Detailed databases for the USA. Visit www.treoareacodes.com/databases to downlaod!
    RaNo, I love what you've done. I'm also delighted that there is no need for me to download the flags, considering all my calls originate somewhere in the USofA!

Someone mentioned a breakdown of phone extensions. IMHO, with the way we seem to run out of phone numbers, wouldnt it be almost impossible to have a full database of extensions; I mean, in theory it sounds nice, but the concept would be overkill.

Just my $0.02.

Keep up the fantastic work. Its your quick responsiveness that gets my money!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    The main program must reside in memory (about 132k) and the flag, state, and map databases can go on the card. The app works very smoothly this way. The RNS site has more info as does mytreo.net.
    I do have the main program in memory and the databases stored on the card.
    When I run the program, it tells me that "no databases installed," and I dont see a way to point the program towards the card to recognize that the databases are indeed there.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    After I installed US Cities to my card and started the program it told me the databases were text based and had to reside in RAM? Is there some way I can use them off the card that I don't know about?
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    When I run the program, it tells me that "no databases installed," and I dont see a way to point the program towards the card to recognize that the databases are indeed there.
    Where on the card do you have them installed? THey should be in the Palm/Launcher directory. If they are and it's still not working, hopefully RaNo will see this post and have some ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by timexx8
    After I installed US Cities to my card and started the program it told me the databases were text based and had to reside in RAM? Is there some way I can use them off the card that I don't know about?
    Same here. It would be great if they could reside on the SD card since the entire country takes up 500K.
    Great App! I already bought it yesterday to support the further development of this cute app. BTW, how do we get updates? I bought it through Palmgear. No reg code required (yet?).
  11.    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    In fact text databases for TreoAreaCodes must be present in RAM. Only graphical databases (maps, flags, seals) can be moved to a card.
  12.    #92  
    Unfortunately not. Text databases must reside in RAM. Otherwise code detection would cause noticable delays.
  13.    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by curlykraut
    Great App! I already bought it yesterday to support the further development of this cute app. BTW, how do we get updates? I bought it through Palmgear. No reg code required (yet?).
    Thanks for your order, curlykraut! When you bought TreoAreaCodes you have received the full version that does not require any registration codes. You simply install the full version over the trial one.

Whenever there is an update, you'll be informed by e-mail telling you how to download the most recent full version.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaNo
    Unfortunately not. Text databases must reside in RAM. Otherwise code detection would cause noticable delays.
    While I understand this may cause a short delay the size of the databases for the U.S Cities and as well Canadian Cities when they are available will eat up alot of what little RAM myself and others have.

Is there a way to make a *user* option to have them on the SD card knowing that there will be a slight delay? similar to Ringo Pro and MP3 ringtones that are stored on the SD card as well as photos..the delay is less than 1 second and sure saves alot of space.
  15.    #95  
    While I understand this may cause a short delay the size of the databases for the U.S Cities and as well Canadian Cities when they are available will eat up alot of what little RAM myself and others have.

Is there a way to make a *user* option to have them on the SD card knowing that there will be a slight delay? similar to Ringo Pro and MP3 ringtones that are stored on the SD card as well as photos..the delay is less than 1 second and sure saves alot of space.
    I never say never - while it is not possible with the current TreoAreaCodes version, it may be implemented later... and most probably it will.
    I never say never - while it is not possible with the current TreoAreaCodes version, it may be implemented later... and most probably it will.
    You have got a great idea but having to keep that much data in RAM is just too heavy for me. Lightwav found a way to greatly minimize the text content of the area codes database. Why does yours need to be so BIG? All you need is about 20 characters or so to represent the area code and the city name.

Jeff
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    You have got a great idea but having to keep that much data in RAM is just too heavy for me. Lightwav found a way to greatly minimize the text content of the area codes database. Why does yours need to be so BIG? All you need is about 20 characters or so to represent the area code and the city name.

Jeff
    Jeff, it's because the TreoAreaCodes' database is much more detailed than the LightWav's database. TreoAreaCodes detects over 13000 unique city names while LightWav only about 200.

The best and the simplest solution here is to create one more database that is not as detailed as the complete USA database.

I don't have the data though, and I won't steal it from e.g. LightWav. If someone can send me any less detailed data, I will be pleased to create a less detailed database for TreoAreaCodes.
    Jeff, it's because the TreoAreaCodes' database is much more detailed than the LightWav's database. TreoAreaCodes detects over 13000 unique city names while LightWav only about 200.

The best and the simplest solution here is to create one more database that is not as detailed as the complete USA database.

I don't have the data though, and I won't steal it from e.g. LightWav. If someone can send me any less detailed data, I will be pleased to create a less detailed database for TreoAreaCodes.
    Do you supply a means for editing the list of cities? Can't you supply a means for keeping the cities in RAM or SD card? For those cities/sates where calls rarely come in from those localtions, place those on the SD card.

Jeff
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Hi and a great proggy...

I might buy it if you would include Iceland
    CASIO SF-7900 > Palm III > PalmVX > Palm m505 > Palm Tungsten C > Treo 650
    SD cards. 8Mb - 64Mb - 128Mb - 256Mb and 1Gb
    www.simnet.is/lappari
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Do you supply a means for editing the list of cities? Can't you supply a means for keeping the cities in RAM or SD card? For those cities/sates where calls rarely come in from those localtions, place those on the SD card.

Jeff
    I don't plan to let users modify any databases, but I will release a desktop utility for creating databases for TreoAreaCodes. For the time being only I use this utility as it is not perfect yet

As I said, I will be thinking of letting users move all databases to a card. At the moment text databases must be in RAM while all others (the graphical databases) may be put either in RAM or on a card.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast