Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I just finished reading the other users - must be a great app for US users but not so usefull for people in geographically smaller countries (sorrounded by other smaller countries), where country of origin is more important (and easy to remember) than state/city/area code.
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    How about compatibility with Ringo? Wil it still show the caller picture and ringtone?

Thanks,

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    How about compatibility with Ringo? Wil it still show the caller picture and ringtone?

Thanks,

Al
    Ringo does not seem to be a problem - picture and ring works
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    I will probably give this shot, but this looks very cool But no cool things for Canada...we're easy to do
    Stay tuned! Detailed Canadian databases should soon be available!
    Visit www.treoareacodes.com/databases regularly.
    RNS:: software for your Treo! www.ranosoft.net/treo
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    How about building some call filtering functionality into this app?
    Namely? What filtering would you expect?
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by idlepaw
    I also like the idea of a city, but I don't know how feasible that is. Check out area code 760 or 530. I think the best thing is just to segment the maps.

http://www.whitepages.com/maps/CA
    No problem with that, but someone would have to provide maps for the whole USA. They can be exactly as the one you pointed (http://www.whitepages.com/maps/CA) but must contain no text labels (city names or areacodes). Just the area borders or seashores should remain.

If someone is willing to prepare such maps, I'll compile them into a TreoAreaCodes database and publish on http://www.treoareacodes.com/databases

Sorry, but it's a lot of work for one person, so we need some help from the users...
    Quote Originally Posted by RaNo
    Stay tuned! Detailed Canadian databases should soon be available!
    Visit www.treoareacodes.com/databases regularly.
    *Thank you for considering Canadian support..appreciated!
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Would really be cool if you could put a dot or X in the relative locaiton in the state map of the city.
    Yeap But someone would first have to put the cities on the map. Or alternatively get a GPS cities database AND additionally associate it with areacodes. I don't suppose there are any commercial (let alone opensource) databases like this, and creating one manually is virtually impossible.

Don't you think?
    RaNo,

W/ your responsiveness to suggestions on this product, I think I will purchase it! Thanks for listening.....
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Actually, now that I think of it, can you use the first three numbers after the area code to determine the city you're calling from? Is that database available? If so, you could create a text database that would show city and state istead of just state name.

Edit: Oh, and you may want to be careful about soliciting maps. If someone were to give you copyrighted maps and you incorporated them, you could still be liable for copyright infringment. So, be careful about your sources.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingstylez
    I just finished reading the other users - must be a great app for US users but not so usefull for people in geographically smaller countries (sorrounded by other smaller countries), where country of origin is more important (and easy to remember) than state/city/area code.
    But TreoAreaCodes supports both: states and countries. So if you are in a small country and someone calls you from another country, you'll get all the information on that country.
    Yeah, I know but the product doesn't tell me anything about the country (and caller) I don't alreadly know. If I see +47, for eg. then I know it's from Norway. Norway isn't really divided into states, just cities. Same goes for Sweden - there are regions but not political boundries. Also, knowing the exact city (Göteborg, Stockholm, Upslalla) doesn't enhance to my ability to deal with the caller.

I'm sorry I poo-poo'ed your product originally but it's really not of any value (other than cute) for me, in this part of the world.

Regards
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    Cool app!

RaNo, are there any updates since the original v. 1.0 release? Or any coming soon....

Thanks
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  14.    #54  
    Actually, now that I think of it, can you use the first three numbers after the area code to determine the city you're calling from? Is that database available? If so, you could create a text database that would show city and state istead of just state name.
    I don't know Is that database available?

Edit: Oh, and you may want to be careful about soliciting maps. If someone were to give you copyrighted maps and you incorporated them, you could still be liable for copyright infringment. So, be careful about your sources.
    Of course I realize that. Thanks for the caution, anyway!
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    lightwav is indeed doing this. does anyone know how to turn it off? i find it rather annoying
    Quote Originally Posted by RaNo
    I don't know Is that database available?
    I can send you some of this information.

Where do you stand on concidering to adding this option? I think I was the first (or one of the first) to ask for city support? Personally, I would like to see you walk before you run here. A simple textual display on top of a map that displays the city is find for me. City area code identification is a must ahve requirement for me to purchase this product. Again to restate my expectations. I would like to have a textual (configuration option of course) city display on top of the map display. Obviously you will not be able to supply a complete list. For major metro areas that have *many* area codes, it would be acceptable to have all area codes mapped to the major city and not the little surrounding cities. I also would then expect to be able to manually add to/change the supplied list of cities. Text file is fine with me but if you want to supply a UI to make the edits so be it. The implementation details are not important to me but access to the list is important.

Hope this helps and I look forward to your answer. I'd like to have the funcitonality soon so I can have time to evaluate before my evaluation runs out.

Jeff
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    never mind found it
    Is there a way to show the map when a second call comes in (i.e. call waiting)? It only works for me on the initial inbound call. That is almost more important to me than the initial call (whether I interrupt a call depends a lot on who is calling and where they are calling from).
    Id pay double for this app, if it had a us exchange database, for example 212-334-2765, showing the 212 being in NY, in NYC, and the 334 part showing what town the exchange is in,. yeah itd take forever to get all that database info entered but man id love it.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Cool app!

RaNo, are there any updates since the original v. 1.0 release? Or any coming soon....

Thanks
    No, there are no updates to TreoAreaCodes so far. But hey! It hasn't been even a week since the premiere

I have, however, made slight changes to the world flags (where blue color was rather gray, I turned it to real blue) and world maps databases (some Philippines islands were not highlighted). That's why these databases on www.treoareacodes.com/databases are now marked with version 1.01.

Yes, for a week or two I'll be publishing new databases with national areacodes (French, German, etc. which comes first), and later I will collect users' feature requests to release TreoAreaCodes 1.1 somewhere in June.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast