1.    #1  
    Can the stand-alone handheld 650 dialup to my ISP for browsing and checking email?

I do not want to pay for the data network plan for Verizon if I can avoid it. What I would like to do is just dial up to my Earthlink ISP using my username, password and ph#. I'm hoping this is possible.

FYI - I haven't bought my Treo 650 yet, but will soon...

I have spent quite awhile on the boards today trying to find if anyone else has done this and thought that there was one user here that said he did, but I am not sure.

Has anyone done this? Anyone on Verizon done this yet? Is it at all possible or will I need to wait for one of those WiFi sleds and hunt for a hotspot each time I need a 'Net fix?

Any help will be appreciated, links to more info elsewhere are most welcomed.

Vincent

- I apologize for the cross-post, but I need the answer by tomorrow before I drop my dialup now that I have Comcast, seems like dialup would be cheaper than the VZW data packages.
    Last edited by boxd; 05/15/2005 at 05:57 PM. Reason: rephrase the title and subject question
    I have mine set to dial up SBC/Ameritech anytime GPRS is down....
    rare but it has happened....including an area with no data gprs i can still dial up and check mail......
    how do you set it up? is it very slow?
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    I have mine set to dial up SBC/Ameritech anytime GPRS is down....
    rare but it has happened....including an area with no data gprs i can still dial up and check mail......
    Are you using Sprint or other provider?

I've talked to 2 Verizon reps and both of them said the Treo won't dial up and that I will have to use their $25 or $50 dollar Data plans to get connected.

My feelings are that they are full of it but not sure yet. I can connect my Laptop to my Motorola T720 using Verizon and can dialup and connect at about 14Kbps... so, if the Verizon network allows a cell phone to act as a modem and dialup to an ISP and as you say the Treo is able to dialup then I'm betting it should work.

I'm thinking I will just have to wait until they have the 650's in the Stores or Kiosks and go there with my un/pw and POP ph# and see if I can dialup and connect... when I do, I will be sure to share the results here.

btw, did you have to call your Cellular provider to ask them to make any changes to your account to be able to do the dialup?

thx for the info

Vincent