View Poll Results: Buy a Cradle or Not?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cradle works great, no complaints!

23 67.65%
  • Some minor problems, but overall a good choice.

6 17.65%
  • Constant charging and/or syncing problems. Stay away!

5 14.71%
  1.    #1  
    I really want a cradle for my Treo 650, but almost everything I've read here says to me, "Stay away from them!" I know folks are far more likely to post troubles than simple praise, but I'd like to take a quick poll and get some idea of how wide spread the trouble with cradles actually is.
    online polls like this will tell you very little because the samples are self selected and unrepresentative of the entire population.
    AT&T 8925 + 8GB MicroSDHC + Jabra BT8040

Copper TREO 680 + 16GB SDHC + Holux M1000B + Palm BT Keyboard + Motorola S9
    Add another choice for folks like me:

Don't need or want a cradle

I use a case (Vaja T65). Too much hassle to remove the treo from it's case everytime to put on the cradle..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I say if you have your Treo in a case that's easy to remove (or don't use a case), get the cradle if that's what you want. Polls are going to be of limited use IMO.
    Don't confuse the PalmOne cradle with the aftermarket one available on Ebay, either. The cheap one apparently doesn't work well at all. Also search for the post today saying the cradle was available at Cingular stores for about half of what P1 wants for it directly.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    The only review I've seen is the one at Amazon and it seems to be pretty biased. The guy complains about not being able to dock the Treo while using a case (I mean, WHAT cradle has ever allowed you to do that?) and not being able to access the spare battery drawer whithout having to undock the Treo (what's the problem with undocking the handheld for 5 secs to take out the battery??). As for the connection problems, he only quotes other people having them...

As for me, I'm getting it as soon as it is in stock.

Regards,
    Chris.
    Im having a terrible time with my cradle (palmone). I get the sound when I dock it, it charges, but almost always refuses to sync. It sync's fine with just the cable. I called Palmone, they seem to think something inside might be loose.

Its a very cool cradle though, it has a hidden compartment for a spare battery to charge.

Linc - sup?

Erik
    Well, that would be an actual user report of sync problems. I'll have to take that back.

Is anyone else having problems with this cradle?
    sup erik! i had the same cradle problem so palmone sent me another free of charge. (YMMV) i could never really isolate the problem..

so far here's what has worked for me:

1. backup/hard reset/retore
    or
    2. remove the power cable from the cradle and then sync

the cradle was working fine for the first few weeks then it just refused to sync at all.

I purchased one OEM cradle from CompuSA, It has the same problem-sometime it syncs and some time it does not. It seems to me the cradle connector position is not right. Unless they change the tooling to seat the connector better or use the different connector, the problem will always be there. I am sending this one back. Read the the review on TC front page now about the connector problem.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Part of the problem is the piece of Crap Power supply or "international travel charger" as Palmone calls it. With this charger plugged in to the cradle it would hardly sync at all. I swapped the international travel charger with the standard charge that came with the phone, and it works like a champ! If you are looking at getting the cradle, I recommend you do this swap.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    Part of the problem is the piece of Crap Power supply or "international travel charger" as Palmone calls it. With this charger plugged in to the cradle it would hardly sync at all. I swapped the international travel charger with the standard charge that came with the phone, and it works like a champ! If you are looking at getting the cradle, I recommend you do this swap.
    I did that as well, didn't help. I just decided to 'shove' the Treo as hard as I could into the cradle...hey, now it works. I suspect this is not good for the treo or the cradle, but it's their dumb design and I have insurance on the phone...so, i'll learn to deal. So far, 10 out of 10 syncs...

Erik
    anyone have any experience with the seidio two in one sync/charge cable?