Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am having so much trouble trying to get my Treo 650 to sync with my PC (WinXP, USB 2.0). Basically, when I attached the cable and push the hotsync button, it seems like 99% of the time I get a "windows does not recognize the USB device" error. And then 1% of the time, seemingly randomly, it does work.

Things I have tried:

1 - Plugging USB cable directly into PC rather than using hub.
    2 - Rebooting computer.
    3 - Shutting down and restarting Outlook and Hotsync Manager
    4 - Using Palm's USB registry cleaner
    5 - Reinstalling the Palm software.

None of these are making any difference in providing any degree of stability.

What else can I try? Please help!
    I think for me it is the cord itself. Seems if I plug it in again a couple times, it works.
    This does seem to be a common problem. It is the new connector. Just un-plug & put back in until it works!

I have a Seidio crade for use in the car and it works all the time, so I think it is palmOnes connector. I just hope that the P1 cradle is better when it becomes available over here in the UK.
    sschech, the connectors on your cable are bent. This is an extremly common problem. You can call P1 and they will send you a new one, you can buy an IR if you tower dosent already have one, but they are slow. I havent tried the cradle to know if its ant better. I have went through 2 cables and have 2 more as back up plus an IR.
    well man the only thing i have to ask you is, when you do the first hotsync did you did it whit your phone on or of???
    MacDrunk I know I have seen that avatar a hundred times but your post count says 4, huh?
    I have the exact same problem-even after getting a new cradle. I dont believe it's bent pins. This all started after the 1.08 update. One out of 20 times Mine will sync with the cradle. anyone have any luck with any certain blutooth device to sync?
    had same issues and two (!) bad cables. call support they shall send you a new one. may be a loose wiring inside the plug.
    My VZW Treo 650 is doing the same thing ... I have at least one failed hotsync attempt before each successful one. The only solution appears to be unplugging the cable time and time again until some "magic" happens.

Has anyone been able to determine if this is actually a cable problem or a T650/connector problem? I'm still within my 15-day return period ... not sure if I should ask for a replacement Palm or a replacement cable.

Thoughts? Thanks!
    For me it was definitely a connector problem! My wife and I both have 650's, and we each have our own computer. I sync my 650 to both computers, she syncs to just her computer - and that way we have the schedules for both of us (I use PocketMirror to sync, and we set it up so that PocketMirror does not sync items marked private, so that we don't clog each others 650s with info we don't want). I have PalmOne brand cradles (not the original cables) connected to each computer.

My 650 syncs with her computer flawlessly every time. But it synced for a while with my PC, and then suddenly I started having error msgs and frequent non-recognizeability with hotsyncs. Drove me nuts, and I went through the whole rigamorol of deleting/re-installing hotsync app, palm desktop app, etc. I *finally* tried the cable, and presto, it worked flawlessly. I got a new cradle - presto, it worked fine as well. Then it stopped working again! Instead of torturing myself with the software issues, I got yet *another* cradle, and presto again it worked flawlessly. And this time it has been working great for quite a while.

I really think the new connector on the 650 bites the ginormous one.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    ... You can call P1 and they will send you a new one...
    They wouldn't send me one--P1 said that I would need to go to the Sprint store, and Sprint said that I needed to talk to P1. I wasted about 45 mins on the phone and gave up.
    I would call P1 back. Heres the thread where we discussed this before here you have to say that if you wiggle the cable then the sync begins.
    I had the same problem. Neither Sprint store nor the 1-800 wanted to help. Before I knew it though, I was sent THREE cables at no charge overnight.
    Ya same thing happened to me I called and they sent me a cable, then a few days later another cable. I was being honest so I called them ant told them they accidentally sent me 1 cable to many and I was going to send it back so then they sent me another cable again.

They are a little confused.
    Ya same thing happened to me I called and they sent me a cable, then a few days later another cable. I was being honest so I called them ant told them they accidentally sent me 1 cable to many and I was going to send it back so then they sent me another cable again.

They are a little confused.
    How long do you guys have to wait on the phone for P1 support? I have been on over 1 hour and still holding . I got thru the voiceprompts where I am asked which carrier I am with...(Sprint)
    ... Go Go TREO !!! The 700wx and T755P are awesome
    Between 5 to 15 minutes. I have called them 10 times in the last year and usually I get live help in 5 or 6 minutes.

I call 1-877-426-3777
    Between 5 to 15 minutes. I have called them 10 times in the last year and usually I get live help in 5 or 6 minutes.

I call 1-877-426-3777
    This blows .... i called this# yesterday (where I had over 1 hr wait). I tried again twice this AM, get connected within 5 mins each time, but the Philipine help techs refers me to Sprint (they suck as well) to get this resolved b/c PalmOne and Sprint has a different agreement than w/ anyother carrier (AT&T, Cingular, VZ, etc.). I have dealt with SPCS on this a couple of times already before calling the 877-426-3777 # - they aren't too much help.

Ideas on how to handle this? I'd rather PalmOne send me a couple of cables (yes, both of my cables seem to have issues) ?
    Have any of you tried cleaning the connector on the bottom of the treo with some rubbing alcohol on a qtip ? this solves the problem for me every time this happens. I have also had to clean the same connector on the back side of my cradle on occasion as well. This connector sucks but it can be made to work.

HTH

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    Man sorry they are giving you the run around. I have Sprint and they gave me no trouble. I have a t600 cable I'll give away, do you have a t650 or 600?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    Have any of you tried cleaning the connector on the bottom of the treo with some rubbing alcohol on a qtip ? this solves the problem for me every time this happens. I have also had to clean the same connector on the back side of my cradle on occasion as well. This connector sucks but it can be made to work.

HTH

-X
    Yes, I tried the alcohol thingy last week three times (once at work, twice at home), and it worked once. I also tried prying one of my cable's connectors out w/ a staple (paperclip is too big), this also seems to make things better . Bottom line, I hate to have to do this and that to get thigs to work. Last night, I ended up I royally broke one of my cable's connectors monkeying around w/ it.
    Last edited by winger; 06/14/2005 at 10:40 AM.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast