1.    #1  
    Is there a way to read a deleted IMAP message once it has been deleted from the mailbox (and then deleted from the "server")?. I like to have my mail box clear but once in a while I would like to read a message that I deleted perhaps a couple days before.

Any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Deleting messages from an IMAP server is a two-step process. First, you "delete" the message via your e-mail client -- in this case, ChatterEmail -- this is like removing a file to the Windows Recycle Bin. Then, to remove it from the server entirely, you "expunge" or "purge" the deleted message; this really gets rid of it. You'll see that "Expunge" is a menu command in ChatterEmail, as well as, typically, in your desktop e-mail client. Once you have expunged it, it is gone.

Chatter has an option in Prefs/Other to "Auto-Expunge After Delete", which will permanently remove what you "delete" in Chatter. In your case, it sounds like you should not check this option!

So, you can delete your messages and not expunge them until you are sure you want to get rid of them a couple of days later. But note that if you simply select ChatterEmail's "expunge" command, I believe you will expunge everything in the deleted folder at that point, including whatever you just deleted, even though you may want to save that recent deletion for another day. You could set up a new folder on your server or locally, called, say, "To be expunged", and move the messages you want to delete to it. Then, when you are ready to really get rid of them, go to that folder and delete the messages and expunge what you just deleted.

This is what I do, but I suspect more knowledgable forum contributors will have better ideas.

Wo
  3.    #3  
    "Chatter has an option in Prefs/Other to "Auto-Expunge After Delete", which will permanently remove what you "delete" in Chatter. In your case, it sounds like you should not check this option!"

I can't find this option. Am I blind?
    This is an IMAP only option, on the "Other" page of "Edit Mailbox".

Marc
  5.    #5  
    I see the option "Move deleted messages to...". Is this what I am looking for? I don't see "Auto-Expunge after delete" option.
    Auto-expunge is automatic if you're moving deleted items to another folder (which is the default on Exchange servers). It's not possible in POP3.

Marc
  7.    #7  
    My AOL account only shows the following folders: INBOX, Saved, Sent Items, Spam and VOICEMAIL.

I have tried to set up another box such as "deleted" but I didn't have much luck. Am I only allowed to have boxes that match up with the IMAP boxes on the server or can I create my own that will just reside on my Treo?
    No, you can't create treo-only Mailboxes.

Marc
    You should have an "Auto-Expunge" box for AOL Mailboxes if you don't have "Move deleted items to..." checked. I don't know what gives with that.

Marc
  10.    #10  
    Sorry. I had move deleted messages checked (with no folder listed). I realize now (after your last post) that when I deselect that box, then the "Auto-Expunge" option shows up. I will mess around with that and see how it goes.

Thanks!