Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    PC ver 1.2.2
    2Day ver 1.31 (11s) with SC plugin disabled !!
    no SMS etc involved in the following steps.
    Tests done at 8 PM with PC in timed Night profile (I think).
    Cingular Treo650 1.04

Start off with PC disabled. Force a soft reset to get a clean start.
    Boots up into Phone with Radio off.
    Press <home> run 2Day .. no problems
    Press <home> run PC .. enable it
    Press <home> window with "Processing Profile Data" pops up
    screen dims, KB lights turns off, BT opens with cursor in Off position, and stays open (is it supposed to do that? Shouldn't BT changes happen in the background or BT application close?)
    Press <home> to get out of BT

Treo resets !!!

Treo boots intoPhone with the radio off .. in about 15 seconds, the radio connects
    Press <home> Press <phone> type #*377 (the KB lights stay off while typing).
    Get msg "A reset was caused on 5/13/05 at 8;09 PM while running "2 day". Fatal Exception"

Press <home>
    Run PC .. disable PC
    Press <home>
    Radio disconnects, KB lights comes on
    BT is launched with cursor left on On
    Close BT by pressing <home>

I hope this helps. I have gone through a complete cycle with PC and 2Day above.

Note: The Sc plugin is disabled in 2Day all the time.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  2.    #2  
    Disabling all monitoring in 2day eleimates the reset.

I will re-enable some of the monitoring back one by one and see which one causes the resets to re-appear.

Summary: if PC is enabled, there is a Fatal exception in 2day. After the reset, both programs function fine (with PC enabled ..).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  3.    #3  
    I did some more research and narrowed down the problem. The resets happen only if the Voicemail monitoring is enabled in 2day. No resets whatsoever, regardless of PC being enabled or disabled if VM monitoring is disabled. The status of SC plugin in 2day is irrelevant.

But, if VM monitoring is enabled in 2day, then, if PC is enabled, the following happens:

It changes the screen and keyboard lights, switches on the phone radio, starts BT and switches it off

Meanwhile, the phone radio makes the connection with Cingular network (in central Ohio). The Treo is still with BT open and switched off. The signal meter appears on top of the treo, the black GPRS triangle appears (and my guess is 2day tries to get the VM status) and there is the "Fatal Exception in 2day" reset.

The key thing is that with PC disabled, VM monitoring works fine in 2day.

I'm holding both of you responsible, for now. I can't pick between two of my favorite developers :-)

For the time being, I'm disabling the VM monitoring in 2day.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Hi,

What version of 2day are you using ?

Do you have TAKEphONE installed ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  5.    #5  
    2day ver 1.31 Beta (11s)

TAKEphONE is not installed.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    11s? I thought it is only up to 11k?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    11s? I thought it is only up to 11k?
    11s is some preliminary test version I sent out to some people.
    I will soon post a newer version.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Hi,

I am trying to make this the central point for solving this issue between 2day & ProfileCare.

I hope aprasad (and anyone else expiriencing similar issues) and Jeff Gibson will participate here trying to resolve this.

Let me sum it up as I see it right now, and anyone can comment/correct me.

======================================================
    There is a repeatable crash occuring when the following conditions are met:

1. PC is enabled (ver 1.2.2).

2. 2day has the voicemail monitoing enabled (ver 1.31 11s).

3. Crash occurs regardless of BT activity.

4. Seems to happen right after radio is done being turned ON (after network search is completed ?)

5. Crash occurs regardless of what application is currently visible on screen.

aprasad - can you email me (contact@shsh.com) all your PC related files (including PC databases, as rewuired for me to fully recreate your specific setup)

Jeff - can you list all the files I would need, and where to find them ?

aprasad - can you also please send me all 2day files - db2day.pdb ?

Jeff - maybe we can open a direct channel via email or IM ?

Thanks !
    Shimon Shnitzer
  9.    #9  
    Will do later today. I must leave for work right now.

on 4. Yes, the crash occurs after network search and after GPRS triangle appears.

You have the summary correct.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Is this also the spot to try to fix the text message issues?
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Is this also the spot to try to fix the text message issues?
    Hi,

Can you give as much details as possible ?
    (steps to recreate, versions of 2day & PC, settings in 2day & PC)

Thanks
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEphONE
    Hi,

I am trying to make this the central point for solving this issue between 2day & ProfileCare.

I hope aprasad (and anyone else expiriencing similar issues) and Jeff Gibson will participate here trying to resolve this.

Let me sum it up as I see it right now, and anyone can comment/correct me.

======================================================
    There is a repeatable crash occuring when the following conditions are met:

1. PC is enabled (ver 1.2.2).

2. 2day has the voicemail monitoing enabled (ver 1.31 11s).

3. Crash occurs regardless of BT activity.

4. Seems to happen right after radio is done being turned ON (after network search is completed ?)

5. Crash occurs regardless of what application is currently visible on screen.

aprasad - can you email me (contact@shsh.com) all your PC related files (including PC databases, as rewuired for me to fully recreate your specific setup)

Jeff - can you list all the files I would need, and where to find them ?

aprasad - can you also please send me all 2day files - db2day.pdb ?

Jeff - maybe we can open a direct channel via email or IM ?

Thanks !
    ProfileCare is at V1.2.5. Does the crash still happen at this version level?

Jeff
  13.    #13  
    Here is the testing with PC v 1.2.5, everything in PC is default, all profiles as supplied.

Before I do anything with PC, my Treo has the radio on, KB lights on, BT off. That is the default state I expect PC to set my Treo to when I disable PC.

Lets start:
    PC enabled, 2day VM monitoring on.
    manual soft reset
    Radio off, KB lights on, BT off
    30 sec later.. PC kicks in
    it tuns radio on, KB lights off, BT on
    No crash !!! (Yay !)
    Disable PC
    that turns radio and BT off but leaves KB lights OFF <- I was expecting this to be on, the default KB light behavior of Treo ??
    enable PC
    that turns radio and BT on, KB lights off
    Reset!! Fatal Exception in 2day

All testing was with the hardware switch to Mute (for the sanity of my officemates).

Basically, leave VM monitoring on in 2day., start with a soft reset, enable PC, disable PC.. go through a few cycles and the reset should occur.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Hi,

How do you enable/disable PC - do you launch it from the "Applications" screen (taping it's icon ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
  15.    #15  
    After launching PC, there is a check box to enable or disable it. I check (or uncheck, as the case may be) the box nect to Profilecare and exit (by pressing the Home button to exit the program).

I never touch the checkbox next to Schedulecare (it's always unchecked).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEphONE
    Hi,

Can you give as much details as possible ?
    (steps to recreate, versions of 2day & PC, settings in 2day & PC)

Thanks
    This is the problem I told you about in the other post. I'm using the latest version of PC 1.2.5. Not sure what settings you want to know about. I'm using just one profile in order to increase volume mostly. I'm using 2Day version 11k and have disabled the SMS monitoring and it just went to a white screen. It worked fine for one text message, but after I replied and then got a response and tried to reply again I got a white screen.
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    This is the problem I told you about in the other post. I'm using the latest version of PC 1.2.5. Not sure what settings you want to know about. I'm using just one profile in order to increase volume mostly. I'm using 2Day version 11k and have disabled the SMS monitoring and it just went to a white screen. It worked fine for one text message, but after I replied and then got a response and tried to reply again I got a white screen.
    Hi,

Please try disabling the emails monitoring, too.
    Can you tell me why do you think it's related to 2day ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    TAKEphONE, aprasad, TreoGuy-

For what it's worth, I was having similar issues with resets and other odd behavior about a week ago. After every crash, 377 indicated 2Day as the failing application. In most cases I would get a reset after an incoming IM but the problem was not limited to that. Every crash indicated that 2Day was having problems accessing prefrences. My solution was to delete my "Saved Prefrences" file and then re configure my settings and reenter a few registration keys. Since then, I have not had a single problem. I have 2Day monitoring everything, PC running it's full set of profiles, verichat and causerie are now both working as expected, Chattermail is happily polling for mail in the background.

I don't know if this is the same problem(s) that you all are reporting but it sounds very similar. I believe my prefs became corrupted somewhere along the lines and 2Day was just making that apearant.

If you try this, make sure you have a copy of all of your registration keys before you delete saved prefrences as some of your apps will become un registered. A simple backup/restore of the prefs is not sufficient as you will restore the same problem data. On that note, if this procedure DOES work for you. Make and save a backup of your prefs after you rebuild them incase you ever need to do this again. At least you will have a starting place.

HTH

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
  19.    #19  
    Thanks fo rthe tip. I wonder how often the saved preferences file changes. Is like the Windows Registry that is used to store all kinds of application's settings? Or does it change only when an application is registered, for example.

Are we running risks when we restore an older version of this file from many days/weeks back?

I am waiting for the Cingular ROM update, after which I'll reinstall all applications.

Also, certain recent betas of 2day has virtually eliminated the Fatal Exceptions now. Progress.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Hi,

Wow - thanks for this information !

This totally make sense !!!

It so happens that for both scenarios described, my application does try to access the saved preferences file to write some data (both voicemail notification, and SMS monitoring), so if that section of the saved preferences file is somehow defected, it would cause 2day to fatal with that error (and the error to stop when monitoring voicemail is disabled).

I wonder if there is any utility to fix/test the saved preferences file ?

Aprasad & TheTreoGuy - would you send me (contact@shsh.com) your saved preferences file, so I can check it ?

Thanks !!!
    Shimon Shnitzer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast