Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Glad I could help. I actually was thinking of posting this a bit sooner but wanted to be sure it had resolved my problem before I went telling folks to delete their files.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Thanks fo rthe tip. I wonder how often the saved preferences file changes. Is like the Windows Registry that is used to store all kinds of application's settings? Or does it change only when an application is registered, for example.
    Well, based on the modification date, mine changes many times daily. I don't believe it's fair to compare it to the windows registry, more like the win.ini or system.ini files.

Are we running risks when we restore an older version of this file from many days/weeks back?
    Well, yes and no. Depends on what you are doing with your treo. For instance, if you regularly upgrade apps (2day, chatter etc) then restoring an old SP file may eliminate data that a newer version of an app expects. As apps evolve, they tend to need to store more data (more fields and values etc). Now, if an app is well written, it should detect the missing data and create a new field in SP and place a default value there. "IF"...
    If not, who knows... Seems to me that if starting with no SP file is possible, then an out of date file may be just as possible but just guessing here.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEphONE
    Hi,

Wow - thanks for this information !

This totally make sense !!!

It so happens that for both scenarios described, my application does try to access the saved preferences file to write some data (both voicemail notification, and SMS monitoring), so if that section of the saved preferences file is somehow defected, it would cause 2day to fatal with that error (and the error to stop when monitoring voicemail is disabled).

I wonder if there is any utility to fix/test the saved preferences file ?

Aprasad & TheTreoGuy - would you send me (contact@shsh.com) your saved preferences file, so I can check it ?

Thanks !!!
    OK. Just sent to you Shimon...

I have totally disabled all of the monitoring categories and it still happens.
    Interesting...I totally uninstalled PC and tried again and it didn't happen this time. Jeff says PC would have nothing to do with this, but perhaps it is a conflict in 2Day caused by PC that is triggering something? (I'm still on 11k build of 2Day by the way).
    Last edited by TheTreoGuy; 05/17/2005 at 02:10 PM.
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Hi all,

I think I may be on to something.
    No need to restore the saved prefs file !

Please download and install the new build - 1.31 (12c) - at www.shsh.com/beta

Let me know if it solved the issues:
    - Reset reported by aprasad.
    - White screen reported by TheTreoGuy.
    - Not reporting voicemail ON/Off in icon.

Thanks !
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Actually, now I got a reset when I got a test message and wasn't using the phone at the time, and then I got a white screen again when I got a text message while I was in the phone app. Both with the new version with monitoring enabled.

It definitely has something to do with ProfileCare I think now, since I have no problems when Profile Care is not enabled.

I also just tried totally uninstalling 2Day (but when I use Uninstall to do that it tells me there are certain databases connected to 2Day that are for calendar, etc. that shouldn't be deleted so I "save" them) and with PC installed I am getting that same problem! It is some odd thing with PC then?!
    Last edited by TheTreoGuy; 05/17/2005 at 04:52 PM.
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    Well, based on the modification date, mine changes many times daily. I don't believe it's fair to compare it to the windows registry, more like the win.ini or system.ini files.

Well, yes and no. Depends on what you are doing with your treo. For instance, if you regularly upgrade apps (2day, chatter etc) then restoring an old SP file may eliminate data that a newer version of an app expects. As apps evolve, they tend to need to store more data (more fields and values etc). Now, if an app is well written, it should detect the missing data and create a new field in SP and place a default value there. "IF"...
    If not, who knows... Seems to me that if starting with no SP file is possible, then an out of date file may be just as possible but just guessing here.

-X
    Many application store dynamic application state conditions in the SP file in addition to license key information. For example the status of enable/disable, application logging, restoration status of different application conditions, etc..... So this file is touched by almost every application every time that application runs. And probably 90% of the applications out there write to this file at least once every time they are run. It is a very busy and dynamic file.

By deleting this file, you can cause some very unexpected things to happen on your Treo. Some minor - others can cause a reset to happen. All depends on how the devloper handles missing or non-existant data conditions.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    Actually, now I got a reset when I got a test message and wasn't using the phone at the time, and then I got a white screen again when I got a text message while I was in the phone app. Both with the new version with monitoring enabled.

It definitely has something to do with ProfileCare and 2Day conflicting, since I have no problems when Profile Care is not enabled.
    Your problem is releated to radio power up on the GSM network - right? Do you have the SCplugin in 2Day active? Do you have Enable Local Network Time enabled?

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Your problem is releated to radio power up on the GSM network - right? Do you have the SCplugin in 2Day active? Do you have Enable Local Network Time enabled?

Jeff
    Nope. I don't have a GSM, I have a Sprint Treo 650. No SC plugin installed (nor active). Where would I have enable local network time enabled?

I may have solved it by entirely deleting and entirely reinstalling 2Day and PC now. Prelim testing seems good. I'll let you know.
    Last edited by TheTreoGuy; 05/17/2005 at 05:24 PM.
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEphONE
    Hi all,

I think I may be on to something.
    No need to restore the saved prefs file !

Please download and install the new build - 1.31 (12c) - at www.shsh.com/beta

Let me know if it solved the issues:
    - Reset reported by aprasad.
    - White screen reported by TheTreoGuy.
    - Not reporting voicemail ON/Off in icon.
    This version seems to be working very well.

What was the problem? Curious ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Nope. I don't have a GSM, I have a Sprint Treo 650. No SC plugin installed (nor active). Where would I have enable local network time enabled?

I may have solved it by entirely deleting and entirely reinstalling 2Day and PC now. Prelim testing seems good. I'll let you know.
    Enable Local Netowrk Time is found in the date & time section of the preferences application.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    This version seems to be working very well.

What was the problem? Curious ...
    Hi,

Some stupid developer error - used a global variable within the notification.
    This may work well when the voicemail notification arrives while insode 2day, but will not work (or even reset) when outsode 2day.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    OK. I've totally deleted PC and have 2Day not monitoring anything other than the "misc." category things (missed calls, voicemail, phone sound) and not the SMS, IM, Email, or voice memo. I am still getting a white screen whenever I try to "reply" to a text message (just using the standard SMS) that someone sends me on my Sprint 650. (OK just tried it with absolutely nothing checked as monitored and it still happens).
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    OK. I've totally deleted PC and have 2Day not monitoring anything other than the "misc." category things (missed calls, voicemail, phone sound) and not the SMS, IM, Email, or voice memo. I am still getting a white screen whenever I try to "reply" to a text message (just using the standard SMS) that someone sends me on my Sprint 650. (OK just tried it with absolutely nothing checked as monitored and it still happens).
    Hi,

Only thing left to test is to remove 2day completely...
    Shimon Shnitzer
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12