Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I'm still in the state of shock just looking at the list of softwares and games you have. My question is......how did you managed to get the 2GB card to work on the Treo650? Are you using the MMC or SD version? My Treo650 takes a max of 1GB......which is kinda sad cos 2GB are dirt cheap here.
    FAT16 has a maximum formatted capacity if 2 gigs. However you can only have a finite number of files in the root directory. Put your files in folders and limit goes away. I have 1.3 Gigs of TomTom maps, 71 programs and about 600 MB free space
    So does it mean that i can use a 2GB so long as i format it in FAT16 and that in FAT16, each folder can have a limited amount of file/size. Also i assume the Treo650 won't read it as 2GB.

Question, how much files or size can be in a folder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Heelys
    So does it mean that i can use a 2GB so long as i format it in FAT16 and that in FAT16, each folder can have a limited amount of file/size. Also i assume the Treo650 won't read it as 2GB.

No, you misread it. The root directory is the only one with a fixed size. You could have one subdirectory that contains 65,000 files, or one file that's 2,000 MB large, but you wouldn't enjoy it.

According to Microsoft, FAT16 may have as many as 65,525 clusters (I don't know what Bill's doing with those eleven clusters skimmed from the top), and the cluster size on a 2 GB drive is 32 KB. 64K * 32KB = 2 GB.

Ah, for the halcyon days of DOS 3, when this was new and exciting and my hard drive was a whopping 20 MB...

You can use FAT16 or FAT32 to format the card on a Card Reader. The original 650 however is only equipped to read / wite FAT16. You can make a custom ROM to provide FAT32 capability which uses a driver "snuck off" from a preproduction Treo 700p. This will let you use SD cards up to 2 Terabytes ..... biggest one available right now is 4 GB.

This kinda freaks me out as a 4 GB SD card holds as much data as 2,844 floppy disks.

As for the limit, ONLY the root folder has this limitation. Folder limitations are into 5 figures (64k) so you shouldn't have to worry about that.
    icic....so how do i get this ROM and would i know if it works with my Treo650 version?

Yah...miss those days when 20GB was so so big....now i have almost a tera yet i'm trying to add more hard drive to my PC
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ^ You can check out some custom GSM ROMs with the FAT32 driver here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=564
  8.    #68  
    I'm still in the state of shock just looking at the list of softwares and games you have. My question is......how did you managed to get the 2GB card to work on the Treo650? Are you using the MMC or SD version? My Treo650 takes a max of 1GB......which is kinda sad cos 2GB are dirt cheap here.
    I just stuck the SD card in my Treo and it worked. A few months later when I updated my Rom with the new FAT32, I noticed it was a bit quicker accessing my card.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    thanks for all that info that i was so ignorant to know... was going to purchase a 2Gb card and just shove it in- imagine the horror i would have without customising the thing...
    Treo 650
    Sony UX-50
    Tungsten T5 (other half's)
    here's my list with 13 mgs of ram zlauncher pockettunes verichat pdanet chattermail diddlebug mobitv cardexport docstogo busker splashphoto bugme palmary clock tcpmp mmplayer mobilplay calender notes glimmermail dirassist video jigsaw agendus pro xiino genius 4cast rescoviewer resco explorer today butler phone tec destaller pro powerrun hilauncher flyzip volume care media manager textplus shark message cleandata pref doctor cleanup audiogate mobilewrite tealmaster crash pro btmute dalauncher handzipper grxviewpro backuppro kblights off kinoma player and at least 40 of the top games 4gb card custom rom stripped unbranded unlocked and a ton of reading at this site and a lot of hard work and about 6 million resets the games I like are microquad skyforce 6th gear bejeweled 2 bubbleshooter chuzzle galaxy 2 I also have removed java that gave me webviewer and opera mini just took to much memory and removed snapper mail rather moved it to card for backup email retrieval chatter is just so much better
    congrats!! i want my 650 with all that lol
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234