1.    #1  
    I'm currently using a HS Backup module to protect my data in case of a crash. I've been reading some of the praises about Backup Buddy and wondered if I needed this software. I usually take my Backup module with me, so if I crash away from the desktop, I can restore my Visor. Backup Buddy is about $30 and the Backup module is $40. What would I be gaining by purchasing the Backup Buddy software? All input is appreciated!
    The following space intentionally left blank...

RadarGreg
    Since BackupBuddy runs at every hotsync, my feeling is it provides "peace of mind". Granted, you need access to the desktop if you ever need to restore, whereas the module is a truly mobile solution (just remember to be diligent about backing up!).
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I'll throw in a disaster scenario:

since you take both your Visor and Backup Module with you, what if you lose both?

Backup Buddy makes it a no-brainer to restore your data onto a new Visor.

I agree with MarkEagle, the auto-backup with every synch is very handy.
    Jeff
    Originally posted by RadarGreg
    I'm currently using a HS Backup module to protect my data in case of a crash. I've been reading some of the praises about Backup Buddy and wondered if I needed this software. I usually take my Backup module with me, so if I crash away from the desktop, I can restore my Visor. Backup Buddy is about $30 and the Backup module is $40. What would I be gaining by purchasing the Backup Buddy software? All input is appreciated!

I have both, and highly recommend BB to everyone. I don't sync with the Backup module daily, but I do HotSync every evening. Unless you use the BM daily, you need BB too.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    BOTH.

I bought the Backup module (amazing how effortless that module is). But it's a tiny bit slow and I wish I could say that I back up to the module everyday.

I then realized the importance of the data in my Visor. My system passwords for the dedicated work systems are stored in my Visor. As are the 40-50 ID's and pswds that I have for about every site I frequent (including VisorCentral )

With the DRAM problem, I lost information SEVERAL times, including some contact names that I had made earlier in the week. While I could have backed up daily (and then it wouldn't be a problem), with the slight wait and the battery draw (it's not terrible but since I haven't switched to rechargables yet I think about it still), I found myself in actuality only backing up the module about every 3-4 days.

So... I bought Backup Buddy with it's promises of backing up at every hot sync (which I do twice a day). Plus Backup Buddy allows you to select what databases or apps to backup. I don't back up my AvantGo pages for instance since it is just as easy for me just to hot sync the most current web pages.

Backup Buddy is worth every dime. It's effortless and has already saved me a couple of times.

I find myself backing up to my module during the day between hot syncs (I'm better about doing this now... about every other day now).

And then I hotsync back up twice a day. And while I haven't done this yet, you also have the ability to rename the backup file ("9-19-00") and have chronological back up record in case you need it later.

But with the value of information, I'd strongly suggest buying both the back up module (free shipping still) AND Backup Buddy.
    Pocket PCs, Palm... next victim, MS Windows!
    Originally posted by Corky
    buying ... the back up module (free shipping still) ... [/B]
    Only at Amazon.

At Handspring, you have to spend $100 to get free shipping.

[Edited by PDAENVY on 10-03-2000 at 10:28 AM]
    Jeff
    What would I be gaining by purchasing the Backup Buddy software?
    Ideally, you want both, but that's pretty obvious. If I had to choose one, I'd take the module, because it's useable when travelling away from a computer. In fact, I just lent mine to a friend until his new Hotsync Cradle arrives.

8.    #8  
    Ok, I'm convinced. I do appreciate all the input, even the scary, "what if you lose your Visor AND Backup Module"! I think I'd have nightmares about that possibility. Does Backup Buddy replace the normal hotsync from the Palm Desktop, or does it run side by side? I like the idea of the backup by date feature too. Now just to find the credit card...
    The following space intentionally left blank...

RadarGreg
    BB runs as a part of the normal HotSync process. It usually runs at the end (after apps sync, and after AvantGo).
    Love the program and second all comments above.

Backup buddy also lets you choose NOT to sync certain items every time (it will always back up the first copy of something on your handheld). For example, to speed my sync, i back up my Avantgo program but not the avantgo files themselves. If I lose info BB would restore the program and the avantgo pages from my first sync. Similarly, I carry a number of read-only documents on my Visor. They are backed up (first sync) but dont sync every time because I dont modify them ever. Saves tons of time.

No one has mentioned Install Buddy, which can come bundled with BB for a small increase in price. It auto translates and installs any file, including HTML webpages or word documents. It also adds IB as an option in many programs and right-click menus (i.e. send to: IB). Really necessary if you edit docs on your visor.
    Ok, I'm convinced. I do appreciate all the input, even the scary, "what if you lose your Visor AND Backup Module"!
    Personally, I just make sure the backup module and Visor never stay in the same place for long. I've even gone to the extent of mailing the backup module after a vacation while waiting for the flight home.
    I'd like to use the scripting feature of BackupBuddy to automatically execute a batch file that will rename the mirror directory to a unique name (preferably containing the date). That way I will have a chronological history of my backups.

It seems like this must be possible but I don't know how to write the batch file. Suggestions?

I know how to write a basic batch file. The part I'm having trouble with is getting it to use a unique filename every time so that it doesn't just overwrite the existing file.