Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Silverado,

I have KBlights in my custom ROM. When I updated my ROM today with the new version of KBLights, my Treo went into a reset loop after I did my restore. Should I have disabled KBLights before I did my last backup? I am assuming when I did my restore, the preferences for the old version were restored and since there are additional settings in the new version, that created the reset loop. Does that sound right to you?
  2.    #22  
    JohnH59,

Yes, what you're saying is right. The new version could handle the old preferences by upgrading them, unless they are changed from under it while it's running, which sounds like what happened. You should be able to restore an old backup if you disable the new KBLO (which is in ROM) first. When you next run it, it will upgrade the preferences.
    Oops, didn't notice I had to disable the previous version. I got a reset loop as well.
  4.    #24  
    I uploaded a small update (1.2.1) that should be better about preserving your previous version's settings when upgrading. If you've already updated your version to 1.2, there is no need for you to grab this one immediately. As always, however, it is advisable that you disable the current version when updating.
    Interesting.. I downloaded it OTA with kblights enabled, and it updated okay, only bugaboo I saw was that the default period for the lights to stay on was 0s so I went into the prefs and changed it, or the lights just "flickered" when I hit a key.
    silverado..
    i also had same exact prof after a chatter crash..likely cause i didnt shut down and reset for the 1st time when updating chatter (about a month ago) and now after a reset it goes to date/time pref wich really p*sses me off... dang
    I upgraded it without disabling, and it worked. But the next time I reset (to change my battery) it went into a loop. Oops.
    Silverado,

Could you make KBlights do this?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=84227

Thanks,

Al
    Ditto, would be great to have a time set but with the side button as an anytime override
    I have a suggestion... ignore the backspace key in automode. I use that key a lot in Blazer for "back".

Tom
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael355
    Ditto, would be great to have a time set but with the side button as an anytime override
    As discussed in this earlier thread, this gets a little complicated because it has to integrate well with both Auto and Manual modes. Programming is the easy part, designing the user experience so it's intuitively usable for most people without getting confusing is more challenging.

It's an interesting challenge trying to satisfy all users' requests (I get many by email too) There are many users who want the app to stay small and consider any additions unnecessary bloat. I will keep taking all requests in mind and try to find useful middle ground that would keep most users happy while keeping the program simple and intuitive. This is how I arrived at the added feature set in 1.2x. The bottom line is that I avoid the "kitchen sink" approach at all costs!
    Silverado,

What about putting this feature in an advance tab. I don't think it is that confusing for anybody. ProfileCare does it so does twighlight and it just makes sense to automatically turn off the keyboard during the day and leave it on or toggle during the night.

Al
    I'll say this about KB Lights off, best, most reliable thing I have considering I read all the time at night and when I feeding the little guy - I love this product and was happy to pay - don't want to even risk upgrading since my Treo is working so well. Thanks for a great product!
    I wish I had a dime for every dime I have
    In another thread there was talk about a program called Stability Test. You run it and it tells you if your palm is stable. All items pass until I exit and I get a reset. The program states that if you get a reset upon exiting you need to find what is making the palm unstable. Well, I disable KBLightsOff and I don't get the reset. I went through all my other apps that have enable/disable features and they all pass the test. A reset only occurs when KBLightsOff is enabled. I have been experiencing some random resets since the upgrade to 1.2 but never associated the two. I am going to go back to a previous version, if I can find where I put it, and see if that helps.

Any ideas from anyone?
    Update.

I can enable KBLightsOff and turn off Auto Mode and when I run the Stability Test there is no problem. It does not reset. Turn the Auto Mode back on and I get a reset after the Exit of Stability Test.

More Update.

In the Auto Mode Settings, I had 5-way navigator checked. I can uncheck that and leave Auto Mode on and no resets when running Stability Test.

I can check everything but the 5-way navigator and Stability Test run all the way through with no reset.

I will say I can't find anyone that will vouche for the reliability for the app Stability Test so I will just have to monitor for a few days and see if the random resets stop with the 5-way navigator unchecked.
    Last edited by JohnH59; 05/26/2005 at 09:56 AM.
  16.    #36  
    JohnH59,

Can you give me a link to where I can find this program (Stability Test)? Would like to try it, read what it claims to do, etc. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    JohnH59,

Can you give me a link to where I can find this program (Stability Test)? Would like to try it, read what it claims to do, etc. Thanks.

www.fly-zip.com
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I will say I can't find anyone that will vouche for the reliability for the app Stability Test so I will just have to monitor for a few days and see if the random resets stop with the 5-way navigator unchecked.
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no other way to crash a Treo with this setting other than when the Stability Test is running. It is easy to write a program that crashes if there is anything in the system that's monitoring events.

Part of writing a good program that works in the background, however, is to make sure it is as "lightweight" as possible so that programs' performance will not be impacted and its effects would be imperceptible. I believe that's the case with KB LightsOff.

I do not have any reports of crashing with KB LightsOff. I also use it myself with all the options on and I do not see any unexplainable crashes. In fact, with the lastest beta version of Chatter (whose beta releases have been the source of some of my resets), #*377 shows that my last reset was the morning of 5/30.
    I probably have some strange configuration with all the apps and custom ROM I have installed. But, since the 26th when I disabled the 5-Way feature, I have had only two resets. One caused by Snapper and the other by Biz Conn. I was averaging one per day.
  20.    #40  
    JohnH59,

I'm sending you a version to try to see if Stability Test resets with all its options enabled.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast