1.    #1  
    Hey Guys,

I got my treo yesterday and while in my pocket on the way to the airport, the phone turned off, when i say that I mean the radio, not the pda part. and today it was in my jacket pocket, i made sure it was on, I hung up the coat, got my haircut, and came back and the phone was off again.....whats up?
    probably you're getting soft resets after which- the phone does not power on. it happens to me and it's anooying. you might want to get an app that makes sure the radio powers on after each soft reset
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Hey, I have that sometimes, and go all day with it off without knowing. What is the app that will insure it is always on?
    Mike Caldwell
    i know that ChatterEmail has a setting that does it and that's what i use, but i think butler also has that function
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmike
    Hey, I have that sometimes, and go all day with it off without knowing. What is the app that will insure it is always on?
    I use TreoHelper, myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmike
    Radio Control

Free at

http://www.clanhobbs.org/treo/
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by kaljer
    I got my treo yesterday and while in my pocket on the way to the airport, the phone turned off, when i say that I mean the radio, not the pda part. and today it was in my jacket pocket, i made sure it was on, I hung up the coat, got my haircut, and came back and the phone was off again.....whats up?
    You may be experiencing trouble with your SIM card. Several folks reported similar problems which turned out to be bad contact between the SIM and the "feelers" in the slot. Apparently, placing a piece of paper between the SIM and its carrier can work wonders, but don't make it so thick that the assembly gets stuck.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  8. mfp
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    You may be experiencing trouble with your SIM card. Several folks reported similar problems which turned out to be bad contact between the SIM and the "feelers" in the slot. Apparently, placing a piece of paper between the SIM and its carrier can work wonders, but don't make it so thick that the assembly gets stuck.
    yup, that was it for me! it was driving me crazy, the phone was constantly turning on and off. i spent 2 days reading possible causes/fixes, installing, uninstalling, soft boots, hard boots...

after reading your post, i did the little paper trick and just like magic... it hasn't turned off since

thank you jetkins! this info should be at the top of the board!!
    Last edited by mfp; 05/14/2005 at 11:33 PM. Reason: repeated quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gamble
    I use TreoHelper, myself.
    Gamble,

are you using a 650?
  10.    #10  
    Well, I tried the paper trick and I will report back but I have 2 more questions:

Are the soft resets normal? Is there a fix or is it just what people get these things replaced for?

Also with those programs is there any way I can store my SIM pin # in there so it can log me in?
    I installed radiocontrol and it seems to fix the soft reset issue, but I still have problems that I don't think are the result of a reset. Is there a way to schedule radiocontrol to automatically check, say every five minutes, to insure the radio is on?
    Mike Caldwell
    i use treooffon to auto start my treo

but one thing though, i dont know how your treo is like...but sometimes depending on the mood of my treo, any slight movement or bumpage will cause the radio to shut off
    Quote Originally Posted by kaljer
    Well, I tried the paper trick and I will report back but I have 2 more questions:

Are the soft resets normal? Is there a fix or is it just what people get these things replaced for?

Also with those programs is there any way I can store my SIM pin # in there so it can log me in?
    Don't know about the other stuff.. but resets are NOT normal. Work on eliminating them.. Start with a hard reset (after a backup. you'll lose all your data) to get the Treo to the factory state and see if the resets go away. If they don't, I would exchange the SIM and/or the Treo.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    The radio frequently shutting off is a good sign that your SIM card isn't making good connection to the phone. Search the forums for more advice on how to fix this problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoocat
    The radio frequently shutting off is a good sign that your SIM card isn't making good connection to the phone. Search the forums for more advice on how to fix this problem.
    Hi,

Just want to make sure (before I use a paper - save those trees...) -
    when you talk about radio turning off - does it mean the antenna is not displayed ? or is it still displayed, but with no signal ?

What I see on my Treo 650 is a lot of times the antenna is still displayed, but with no signal, and "no service" when I try making a call.
    I thought it was just a bad signal area, but when I return to an area I know the signal is good in - it does not return - I have to turn the radio off/on manually.

I guess what I am trying to figure out - is my case one where putting that paper will help ?

Thanks !
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    The issue discussed here is that the radio actually turns off - no antenna displayed.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    The issue discussed here is that the radio actually turns off - no antenna displayed.
    Thanks.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com