1.    #1  
    I'm hearing conflicting info.
    Does Vindigo run happily on the Visor or NOT?

thanks all....
    I have had no problems with mine and have not heard of any problems. I am glad they finally added Los Angeles.
    My Treo has more memory than I do.
    yes yes yes
    exit, pursued by a bear.
    yes, especially for Chicago. I have my home, work, school and other common locations as bookmarks and commonly look for new restaurants.

I was beamed this from a friend and let me tell you... for the price, there are very very few software programs that provide this much function with the price.

If now I could only find a GPS springboard.
    I have no problems running Vindigo on my Visor. Where have problems been reported with it?
    Vindigo collects information on what you have accessed / looked up / etc. That is how it makes $$$ - by selling your info to marketers and charging participants for your eyeballs.

It may be something that I could accept for a free service, but I HATE the fact that they dont inform you in the registration process.

Weasels.

Originally posted by declana
    Vindigo collects information on what you have accessed / looked up / etc. That is how it makes $$$ - by selling your info to marketers and charging participants for your eyeballs.

of course that's how they make money... they don't tell us because why would we care? you can bet your sweet bippy that they tell evryone who advertises, though...

i guess i don't understand what your problem is... it's not like cookies on the web that then get processed to send you spam... it just helps marketing reps know if it's a good idea to list their store and whether or no to do one of the small animated advertisements...
    exit, pursued by a bear.
    Originally posted by matty
    [/B]
    of course that's how they make money... they don't tell us because why would we care? you can bet your sweet bippy that they tell evryone who advertises, though...

i guess i don't understand what your problem is... it's not like cookies on the web that then get processed to send you spam... it just helps marketing reps know if it's a good idea to list their store and whether or no to do one of the small animated advertisements... [/B][/QUOTE]

Its called DISCLOSURE - let me make the decision if I would like them to have that information. Not them. And people do care - thats why the FTC has stepped in when companies break their privacy policies and why DoubleClick was not allowed to market thier information gathered through cookies.

Also, vindigo registration requires personal information like your email address - you in fact MAY get spam generated by that vindigo list.
    Hi...I'm having trouble using Vindigo and AvantGo with MobileLink...The first time I loaded Vindigo, it synced both AvantGo and Vindigo properly, but after that, it only syncs AvantGo...How do I configure MobileLink to sync both?
    Originally posted by Nikhil
    Hi...I'm having trouble using Vindigo and AvantGo with MobileLink...The first time I loaded Vindigo, it synced both AvantGo and Vindigo properly, but after that, it only syncs AvantGo...How do I configure MobileLink to sync both?
    This is a known problem. I believe that there is information on Avantgo's configure page about how to deal with it.

Its called DISCLOSURE - let me make the decision if I would like them to have that information. Not them. And people do care - thats why the FTC has stepped in when companies break their privacy policies and why DoubleClick was not allowed to market thier information gathered through cookies.

Also, vindigo registration requires personal information like your email address - you in fact MAY get spam generated by that vindigo list. [/B]
    dec - get a grip...

from the vindigo privacy faq easily accessed from the vindigo website:

---
    Vindigo has created a new kind of service—a personal navigation tool. We want to change the way you eat, shop, and play by delivering timely, local information to you wherever you are. To create the best personal experience on Vindigo, we collect anonymous information that enables us to analyze and improve the user experience. At the same time, we are committed to protecting your privacy so we do not release any personally identifiable information about our members and visitors without their permission.

What information do we collect? How do we use it?

When you sign up for Vindigo, we ask you to give us your email address sothat from time to time we can send you news about Vindigo and notify you of Vindigo updates. If you do not opt-in, we will not correspond with you. We will not share your email address with third parties without your express permission.

After registration, we create an anonymous user profile identified by a random number. This profile is not linked to your email address or any other personally identifiable information.

During the installation process and subsequent synchronizations, Vindigo notes the kind of Palm operating system you have and the amount of free memory available to ensure that your handheld device is supported and that you have enough room for Vindigo. Additionally, we use a temporary session cookie that is active only during your registration process to monitor the download process so you can easily complete Vindigo installation. This temporary session cookie is not stored on your computer once you leave our Web site. Apart from that, Vindigo does not collect any other information about your PalmOS® device, the other applications you use, or the data on your device outside of Vindigo itself.

In order to provide you with the most relevant content and advertising, when you sync your Palm OS® device and update Vindigo, we note the sections of Vindigo that you've viewed and the ads that you've tapped and attach that to your anonymous user profile. This helps Vindigo show you better information and more relevant advertising based on where you spend your time and the types of information you need. We use this data in the aggregate to provide our content partners and advertisers with demographic details about our users. Vindigo does not sell, trade, or rent your personal information to others.
    ---

now, dec, i'm not entirely sure what you mean by disclosure... but in my book, this is it. in full.

so stop disparaging these guys... they tell their consumers everything. and it seems quite obvious to me that they don't send spam unless you ask them to... and they certainly don't sell your address to anyone else.

do us all a favor next time and get your facts straight.

thanks.

oh, and everyone else, please enjoy this service, it really is great, and they really do deliver!

[i am not affiliated in any way with vindigo, except that i am a very satisfied user of their service...]
    exit, pursued by a bear.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks to all who replied to my Vindigo inquiry.

Fwiw, i saw the disclosure info in their online FAQ as well.
    [QUOTE
    dec - get a grip...

Do -ME- a favor and read my posts (all of them) before getting personal.

Try reading my original post - I never said that they didnt inform you that they collected info. I said that they didnt inform during the -registration- process.

Why the distinction between FAQs and registration process?
    If you read the FAQ -before- completing your registration process you are not a typical user of the Net.
    Most people dont read FAQs unless they run into a problem with a service. If you follow any of the FTC investigations, DoubleClick or other privacy cases out there, disclosure during registration with a pro-active click through on privacy issues is preferred. A number of courts have recognized this by refusing to honor privacy disclaimers by websites that were buried in a faq or policy statement and were not prominent on the registration page.

If someone tried to collect information on you as you shopped at a mall the way they do on the Internet you would never be so blithe. Just because you dont see them do it doesnt mean that it is harmless.

Use Vindigo or dont use Vindigo, but the privacy issue is an important one and was worthwhile mentioning.

Peace?
    Watch out for Left hack. It really makes a mess of Vindigo.
    [QUOTE
    dec - get a grip...

Do -ME- a favor and read my posts (all of them) before getting personal.

Try reading my original post - I never said that they didnt inform you that they collected info. I said that they didnt inform during the -registration- process.

Use Vindigo or dont use Vindigo, but the privacy issue is an important one and was worthwhile mentioning.

Peace?
    pax.

the last thing i want to do is get into a flame war.

rereading my post, i realized i was a little harsh (12 and 13 hour days at work will do that to you) and i apologize. certainly the 'average' user on the net doesn't read the faq, and i did have to search to find the privacy statement.

but, that doesn't mean it wasn't there, and i felt you implied it wasn't there at all, to try to get people to hate vindigo.

and, because it still doesn't seem that bad to me (in the registration process, they do make it clear that you can opt out of their mailing list) i thought your harsh words were undue, and wanted to at least point out that what you implied wasn't all true.

that said, i was a big ol' nasty flame-baiter, and i apologize.

i still think vindigo is a great service, i still don't understand why what they specifically do is wrong (what with the anonymity and all) and i still highly recommend it.

so there

my own personal disclaimer: all of the above statements and ideas stated above are mine, mine and all mine. not yours, not theirs, and not mine... oh wait, yes. mine. i, uh, think... yeah, uh... yeah. ok.
    exit, pursued by a bear.