Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I use Zlauncher and had to play around with it for days to get it just how I liked it.....But was well wort the time invested. I could have just as easily left it how it came ...plus the Plugins for Zlauncher are great.....especially the weather plugin....Now i do not have to use avantgo to get my weather updates or the Express weather app......
    Quote Originally Posted by xxpinballxx
    I use Zlauncher and had to play around with it for days to get it just how I liked it.....But was well wort the time invested. I could have just as easily left it how it came ...plus the Plugins for Zlauncher are great.....especially the weather plugin....Now i do not have to use avantgo to get my weather updates or the Express weather app......
    Are you referring to the 4cast plugin, or is there another weather plugin for ZL?
    One more vote for initiate!
    As soon as SkinUI fully supports the 5-way nav, I think I just might dump Zlauncher!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    It's been a while since Launcher X was updated...
    But it still rocks!
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Hmmm, nobody's mentioned SilverScreen here. Is there a reason for that? Anyway, can any of you Zlauncher fans tell me how big the application is?
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Hmmm, nobody's mentioned SilverScreen here. Is there a reason for that? Anyway, can any of you Zlauncher fans tell me how big the application is?
    As of current version 5.31 the app is:

473KB not including any skins, iconsets, backgrounds or plugins.
    242KB for the Aquawood skin included in the package.
    200KB for the Sand background included in the package.
    116KB for the PalmOS5 iconset included in the package.
    63.7KB for the included Today plugin.
    62.2KB for the JPEG Library to use JPEGs as backgrounds.
    ------
    1156.9KB

But all you need to install is the app and a theme, the other stuff is on an as desired basis. There is quite a bit more including plugins and utilities that can be installled, but that is the gist of it. Very modular, very feature filled, but I use LauncherX.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    Okay, you ZLauncher guys talked me into it. I'm giving it a trial. Just some initial thoughts: the UI for the 600 seems a little hokey. I used the standard theme and another one from the ZL site. Both appear to be less than clear. I know the 600 only has 160x160 but the graphics on SilverScreen looked a lot more crisp. Also, dragging and dropping icons leaves a bit of residual pixelated goo on the screen. It seems like the pixels aren't refreshing. Of course that may also be because I have a wopping 240K left on my phone.

I do like the customizability of it and the plugin support though. And the quicklaunch sounds promising. All-in-all, I'm not completely sold yet. We'll see.
    240k?? Good lord, move some programs to SD card. I have loads of programs on mine, but 80% of them are on the SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulg1981
    One more vote for initiate!
    I like the concept of Initiate but it just doesn't work very well if you have a large contacts database. I have about 2600 contacts in my database and it takes forever to update Initiate. I don't understand why because Takephone doesn't. I also get a memory error when trying to update as well.
    Never thought I'd say this, But i'm going with Zlauncher. Why?

Launcher X crashed my Treo 650--twice, One month apart. I had to hard reset my Treo and re-synch both times. What a pain. I already e-mailed the LauncherX people to get my money back. (May not happen.) I thought that Launcher X would work great with Snapper Mail, which is the reason I got it. Good thing I didn't have Snapper installed yet! (Can you imagine the Headaches on that one?)
    ###
    Jesus...just tried the Z Launcher demo. That also crashed my Treo. (Yep, Hard reset.) Forget these damn launchers.

I'm with JackNaylorPE here in the forums: I'm going with the default Launcher. I don't wana have to hard reset every 5 minutes. I'm convinced that the Palm OS at present (with the NVFM) can't support thsese hi-falutin tootin launchers. Silver Screen worked NICE--never crashed--but that was on my more stable Treo 600. Once we get Linux on board (multitasking?) for the Next O/Tteo then I'll consider it. Rant over!
    ###
    Has anyone else noticed that ZLauncher was particularly power-hungry? I don't see why it would be but my 600 is eating up battery life pretty fast the last couple of days.
    Initiate, like any launcher, requires some attention in order to configure to one's liking, but it is by far the most user friendly (imho). I used to be a zlauncher devotee, but with initiate, you can press a couple of keys to access an app, an mp3, a contact, a web bookmark, etc. With other "category" type launchers, you're restricted not only to the category but also to applications only. Initiate is versatile in ways I can't articulate, but it most certainly is worth a serious try. Here's my setup:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    Initiate, like any launcher, requires some attention in order to configure to one's liking, but it is by far the most user friendly (imho). I used to be a zlauncher devotee, but with initiate, you can press a couple of keys to access an app, an mp3, a contact, a web bookmark, etc. With other "category" type launchers, you're restricted not only to the category but also to applications only. Initiate is versatile in ways I can't articulate, but it most certainly is worth a serious try. Here's my setup:
    It is very slow if you have a large contacts database. The developer sent me an email back today and said that he is using the old database and will not be upgrading to the new database structure. I don't understand why he decided against it. If you have a Treo 650, Initiate is not a very good choice.
    I just started using LauncherX. I can't get butlers klauncher to work. Llauncher can't find apps that have been put on the sd card. Anyone have a fix for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    I just started using LauncherX. I can't get butlers klauncher to work. Llauncher can't find apps that have been put on the sd card. Anyone have a fix for this?
    I noticed that too. It USED to be that there was an option to create a shortcut when you dragged something to the memory card via LauncherX, but that option seems missing from my T650, though I can still see it on my K7135. So it looks like a problem to me...

That said, PowerRun makes shortcuts that the Phone launcher (and hence, Butlet's KLauncher) can use, and powerrun puts ALL of an App's databases in memory too, unlike LauncherX.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Initiate is by far the best for me.
    SprintPCS Treo 755p
    I LOVE Zlauncher. The file manager alone is worth it. Add the abilty to customize it is perfect for me. I do get occasoinal resets but BackupBuddy makes that a minor annoyance.

just my 2
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast