1.    #1  
    I apologize if I should have read the friendly manual, but has anyone else noticed that palm desktop can convert video files and put them on the treo? Even Windows Media Video that I recorded with Snapstream! This is amazing.
    Too bad it doesn't convert FROM the Treo to a usable format like avi, mpeg or wmv.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
  3.    #3  
    The Treo records into mpeg4. That's a pretty useable format.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I apologize if I should have read the friendly manual, but has anyone else noticed that palm desktop can convert video files and put them on the treo? Even Windows Media Video that I recorded with Snapstream! This is amazing.
    That is my preferred way of reducing the video size and converting to .ASF format.

I drag the DivX AVI files (captured from my TV tuner card) into the SD-Card window of Quick Install, but don't actually use Hotlink to transfer the file. That is too slow over the USB 1.1 connector on the Treo650.

Instead, search for the .ASF file in the <ProfileName> directory in the PalmOne directory on your PC. I forget the sub-directory, but the ASF file is stored there temporarily by QuickInstall while it is waiting for you to Hotsync.

I locate the file, pull out the SD card and use a card reader to copy the file to the DCIM folder on the SD card. It is way faster with the USB 2 card reader.

Then, delete the entry from the QuickInstall. That will delete the file from the folder on your PC.

Summary: I use QuickInstall to re-render the video files to resolution suitable for the Treo. Then I use a card reader to transfer the file to the SD card and then delete the entry from QuickInstall.

Sounds complicated, but it's quite simple...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    The Treo records into mpeg4. That's a pretty useable format.
    I'm not following. When I use Camcorder, I get 3gp fils. When I export them and email them I can only open them with Quicktime. Kudos for Quicktime, I suppose, but when I email them to firends without Quicktime I feel like a heel asking them to download some big bloated software program just to watch my 10 seconds of terrible viedo. Kind of takes the fun out of it.
  6.    #6  
    3gp is an mpeg4 flavor used by mobile phones, I think. http://all-streaming-media.com/strea...-streaming.htm
    Alok
    WOW - great tip - it sounded a lot more complicated then it actually was!!! THANK YOU!
    Anant
    Last edited by anant; 05/20/2005 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Addresses to
    3gp is what Treo uses. I think the codec is H263 which is one of the many types of MPEG 4, but not necessarily compatible with all MPEG 4 players.
    http://www.3gp.com/

imToo MPEG encoder does a good job converting just about everything to just about everything.
    http://www.imtoo.com/mpeg-encoder.html
    Last edited by taylorh; 05/20/2005 at 05:56 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    3GPP2 is the file format the Treo uses. Many, many mobile phones record video in this format (or in first-generation 3GPP).