1.    #1  
    Since T-Mobile doesn't sell the 650, I need to buy an unlocked version in order to be able to use it with them. My question is that since it would be "unbranded", will it work like any other phone that t-mobile sells and allow all the same functions and features (voice mail access, downloading ring tones, etc.) (minus the t-mobile logo and things like that) since it will be missing t-mobile software? Or does the SIM card provide all those things? Are there any big drawbacks to buying an unbranded phone?

Thanks for any info.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I got an unlocked GSM 650 from PalmOne, inserted my T-Mobile SIM card (from my prior Nokia 3120), and it worked perfectly. As long as the Treo is compatible with the features you need, there should be no problem. I'm very ... no, extremely ... happy with the Treo. I added T-Mo's unimited $19.95/mo internet service, which works beautifully, and dropped my $3 for 300 SMS's/mo. Other than that, I didn't have to do anything. The Treo recognized I was on T-Mo's network. I've even spoken with T-Mo's CSRs and techs re some issues, telling them I bought an unlocked GSM 650; there was no problem with that at all.

I'd say that rather than there being drawbacks to an unbranded phone, you should regard it as an advantage to have an unlocked phone. You can, should you decide to do so, change to (e.g.) Cingular just by changing the SIM card (altho' I think that for Cingular, you'd need to download some of their proprietary software to access their extras) or sell it to someone with a different carrier.

Wo
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the input. Makes me feel a lot better about getting one!
    I have an unlocked Sony Ericsson t630 and I can access the web and browse with my phone and via bluttooth using my pda, but I can't access T-Mobile specific stuff like my T-Zones.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I have the Treo 650 unlocked and unbranded on T-Mobile. Everything works fine except access to the T-Zones Wap deck. Even MMS works well now!

On the SE T630, I have had one, and use an unbranded T610. TZones works well on these phones, but the settings have to be entered correctly and your sim card must be provisioned for Wap access. I can post the settings if you like!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by badMojo69
    I have an unlocked Sony Ericsson t630 and I can access the web and browse with my phone and via bluttooth using my pda, but I can't access T-Mobile specific stuff like my T-Zones.
    That's a very good point. I don't use T-Zones, so can't comment on that. OTOH, there is so much more that the Treo w/ internet service offers, I don't think T-Zones would be a huge loss if it were incompatible.

I suggest that if alidtr wants T-Zones, he check further around here or ask a T-Mo rep -- they're pretty good.

Wo
    A couple things here....

My 650 is unlocked and Cingular branded. (I got it this way off ebay.) However, the only thing that says cingular is on the unit itself. There is no cingular software or cingular logos anywhere in the software. (one of these days once it starts getting scratched up, I'll even scrape of the 'Cingular' text from the casing)

I have Tzones ($4.99/mth). Verichat works. Versamail works (most of the time). Blazer works (with proxy settings and as long as its not a secure site). What more does the $19.95 T-Mobile Internet service offer (other than secure websites)?

BTW, has anyone gotten DA to work w/ Tzones? (maybe that's another thing I'm missing....oh well)
    DA doesn't work for me either in T-zones -- nor can I get some sites to remember my logins
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I got a cingular branded phone but unlocked to use with T-Mo. Works wonderfully. Everything works so far. Yeah i am also having problem with DA. any solutions?
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    DA doesn't work for me either in T-zones.....
    Show stopper. Do not use DA often but I need it to feel secure.
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    T-Zones Wap deck
    I think this is because of Blazer. Since blazer is a real HTML web browser and not a mobile phone WAP browser, it doesn't work so well with some WAP servers.
    The problem is that Treo attempts real HTTP/HTML and idenifies itself as a real web browser. If the web server is set up to handle both it'll respond with the appropriate HTML response rather than the WAP site. In other words it doesn't look or act like a wap browser although it understand wap if it's sent a WAP page.
    One example is http://mobile.yahoo.com
    That'll take you to the WAP site if on a WAP phone browser, but it'll take you to a different page if on blazer. For blazer you have to enter the literal URL to get there. http://wap.oa.yahoo.com/

Blazer is capable of WAP eg: wap.howardforums.com

At least I think this is the reason.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Maybe it is DA that needs to be fixed (bandaided) here....

More on my theory of the downfall of the stability of Palm OS and it yielding to the ways of the dark side, Microsoft...

Mac OS - handles the proxy internet server at the OS level...by far the best method...its the OS that should be handling the internet requests not the application. Once the proxy server is set, just about any internet app will work thru a firewall.

Windows - This increasingly lame OS handles the proxy at the application level...thereby a major pain because you have to input the stupid proxy address in every application.

Ok, I'm done ranting now....
    I'm going to email the author of DA and see if he can put in a proxy handler in the app to deal with the shortcoming of PalmOS.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    To answer two points that came up...

- T-Mobile Internet and VPN allow you to access the internet using a PC, so for a Treo, you could use PDANet for example and have wireless access. Neither service requires a proxy anymore and almost all ports and protocols work through them. T-Mobile VPN gives you a real ip address and you can use GRE protocol to create a secure VPN tunnel. At UMTS speeds this feature will be great for accessing customer sites and maintaining servers securely! Nothing like telecommuting from a beach or the edge of a mountain lake!

- I think the real reason the Treo doesn't work with the TZones wap site is that the site is only accessible on port 9201 from the proxy server 216.155.165.050. I used to have a wap proxy at home and most sites worked with it on a wap-enabled phone, but I couldn't see Tzones unless I changed the proxy to the T-Mobile one. So this is a political problem more than a technical one. If T-Mobile allowed the site to be visible on port 80 from any of their GPRS apns, we'd be able to use it.

I hope that clears things up a little!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    The biggest advantage of the $19.99 plan is that you can use pdanet and use your laptop for total internet - for hours at a time.

Incidentally, I've also got my unbranded 650 on T-Mo and have had no troubles whatsoever.
    I've been trying to find a 650 that's unbranded, but can't seem to locate any besides through PalmOne directly? Any suggestions for where I can buy?
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli
    The biggest advantage of the $19.99 plan is that you can use pdanet and use your laptop for total internet - for hours at a time.

Incidentally, I've also got my unbranded 650 on T-Mo and have had no troubles whatsoever.
    I have an unlocked 650 on TMO and I cannot get PDANet to work, even though I always used it with my 600. It gets hung up at the id password stage, and no matter what I do, I cannot get PDANet to work. IF I switch to t zones as they suggest, it does seem to go through, but I can get no data transfer even after I disable LAN as they also suggest. No matter what I do I cannot get pDANet to work, which is a major disappointment because I really need it from my summer house where we have no internet nor telephone connections available. This is a real bummer for me. If I go onto TZones, I can actually get it to seemingly connect up, and the little pdanet window says I'm connected, but I get no data transfer, even after disabling the LAN as they suggest. Any ideas? I'm really kind of desperate for this to worik.
    I only find a $29.99 internet plan. What's the name (or a link) for the $20 plan?

Thanks ahead of time.
    Ditto here, no problems at all and I love both the device and T-Mobile's service. However, the original poster asked about downloading ring tones from T-Mobile. I don't believe you can do that with the Treo. The Treo basically doesn't do T-Zones, as in the special WAP site that normal phones connect to.

You have the whole internet to download midi and other ringtones from, you just won't be able to get the paid ringtones that T-Mobile sells.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis
    I have an unlocked 650 on TMO and I cannot get PDANet to work, even though I always used it with my 600. It gets hung up at the id password stage, and no matter what I do, I cannot get PDANet to work. IF I switch to t zones as they suggest, it does seem to go through, but I can get no data transfer even after I disable LAN as they also suggest. No matter what I do I cannot get pDANet to work, which is a major disappointment because I really need it from my summer house where we have no internet nor telephone connections available. This is a real bummer for me. If I go onto TZones, I can actually get it to seemingly connect up, and the little pdanet window says I'm connected, but I get no data transfer, even after disabling the LAN as they suggest. Any ideas? I'm really kind of desperate for this to worik.
    Be sure that GPRS is up before trying to connect PDANet. Be sure that you are using PDANet Version 3.2.
    I'm using 3.2. GPRS is up. I've been using it all day before and after. But when I use pdanet to connect, it stops at the id and password. Just won't go past there. If I go to tzones, it gets by that point but I cannot receive or transmit data, for some reason. They suggest disabling the LAN, which I did, but it does not good. This is quite unfortunate. I don't know what to do....