1.    #1  
    I recently got a 650 and I'm looking for a backup program to install. But I'm a little confused. Do I need to purchase both BackupBuddy and BackupBuddyVFS, or will BackupBuddy suffice? Thanks.
    BackupBuddy will suffice as long as you don't mind waiting until you get home to your PC to restore that file you just accidentally destroyed. IF you want a self-contained solution that you can use while on the road, then you need BBVFS. Personally, I use both.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Me too use both!

I find VFS useful on the road. (Users are often "100%" dependent to my Treo on the road.
    When at my office I can always use my PC.

What I cant stand is if my treo accidently was stolen or broke, lost in water ...
    I could not restore to a new Treo than if I haven't had my PC backup....

(oh - my english, my english..... :|)
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    BackupBuddyVFS Pro (for the unit) and then the BackupBuddy Pro for windows, they sell them as a bundle on the company's website. I think its 30 or 40 USD. But one thing eople has said, PRO is the only way to go!

I on the other hand use BackupMan. I tried both, and I was very content with Man over Buddy
    I recommend BBProVFS to backup to the SD card, and PalmOne Backup to backup stuff on to your PC. That way you are covered against bugs in either system ...

You can copy the contents of the SD card periodically to your PC using a card reader for additional security. These archives will have all the BBProVFS files in them.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    BackupBuddy Pro has the nice feature of keeping multiple previous versions of files, and allowing you to selectively recover. BBProVFS can also keep multiple archives on the card, though I think you have to do this manually. I rely on both of them.
    What are people doing to get the original main databases (calendar, contacts, tasks and memos) backed-up? BB Pro won't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I recommend BBProVFS to backup to the SD card, and PalmOne Backup to backup stuff on to your PC. That way you are covered against bugs in either system ...
    I second this strategy. This is my approach as well...
    One thing is certain: get the VFS Pro if only that one. That way if you are on the road/vacation and suffer a hard reset (not an uncommon experience with the 650), then you will be able to restore your info without needing your PC back at home/office.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anomaly
    What are people doing to get the original main databases (calendar, contacts, tasks and memos) backed-up? BB Pro won't do it.
    BBPRoVFS will back everything to the SD Card. On the PC, the Palm1 conduit will back them to the Desktop (as .DAT files in each directory for that application).

Do you see the Calendar, contact items on the Desktop as you add meetings and contacts etc? Then they are getting backed up (copied) to the PC.

I uninstalled BBPro (the PC version some weeks ago. I forget whether they backup these PIM databases separately or not ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    has anybody used resco explorer as a backup program to do a restore from a full reset.