1.    #1  
    Hi

I was just about to get myself a treo650 today but the dealer talked me out of it because he said the cost of getting emails via GPRS was extremely expensive and that just by pulling emails once an hour it was likely to cost about $200 per month. He said I'd be much better off getting a Blackberry for email but of course what I really want is Palm OS. I'm becoming exasperated with the process of getting myself a PDA or smart phone. I've done so much research and had decided on the treo but now I'm worried that my employer will have a fit over the carrier costs. The organisation I work for uses Optus. I'm not sure if anyone else where I work is using GPRS for data, obviously I'll have to ask questions there about our plan etc.

Any thoughts from treo users in Australia, particularly with Optus would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Kate
    Hi Kate,

I am too with Optus and last I checked you will be paying 2-3c per kbyte of GPRS traffic, plus I think they may have a flagfall (ie each time you start GPRS session you get done extra few cents). I dont know about costing you $200 though as you can set limits on downloading headers only, etc Plus there are some apps for the Treo which keep the track of your data usage so there are ways you can manage it.

Personally I considered these sort of costs to be outragous so just on priciple I looked for alternatives. The best option I have found is with Vodafone in Australia where for $50/month you get unlimited GPRS (well soft limit set at 500Mbytes/month). However this does not really help you unless you fully switch to voda (ie swapping sim cards is not practicle).

On the upside, I did have voda's gprs using gprs modem in a laptop and I could not use up all the allowance, so that will be more than enough for you.

PS: I am currently in UK and the costs of GPRS over here is pretty much the same, over priced big time. Some do offer 400-500mb/month blocks for something like 100 pounds but otherwise its all overpriced.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
    Max
    www.intellectit.com.au
  3.    #3  
    Hi Max

Thankyou so much for your reply. I don't actually know anyone with a treo, everyone seems to have blackberries and I know I want Palm OS for the better PIM and software etc and it seems like everytime I'm ready to make my purchase something stops me (it's very frustrating). The info you've given me is very useful and I think I will go ahead and get it, although it will have to be on Optus if I want work to pay for my calls and data. I just wish it had wifi.

Cheers (it's wine o'clock here in oz)
    Kate
    Kate,

I've a Treo650 for almost 3 months now and I don't use GPRS at all. My company also uses Optus and I was worried about the same charges issue so I decided not to ask my manager at all...so far, I must say, all my emails are done on my laptop rather than on Treo. Given, all the gazillion emails my company uses, I can't imagine using the Treo to churn out long emails. Plus at the moment, I dont need to travel, I think if I start to travel, maybe I can just use GPRS to get headers and view/reply important emails only. Point is if you want to use your company SIM, you need to justify the cost versus other alternatives such as company laptop.
    Cheers
    Kate,

I've a Treo650 for almost 3 months now and I don't use GPRS at all. My company also uses Optus and I was worried about the same charges issue so I decided not to ask my manager at all...so far, I must say, all my emails are done on my laptop rather than on Treo. Given, all the gazillion emails my company uses, I can't imagine using the Treo to churn out long emails. Plus at the moment, I dont need to travel, I think if I start to travel, maybe I can just use GPRS to get headers and view/reply important emails only. Point is if you want to use your company SIM, you need to justify the cost versus other alternatives such as company laptop.
    Cheers
    Hi Kate,

that would be the best bet, just keep in mind that whilst the apps on the phone give you counters and usage stats, it does not mean that its 100% accurate. The prob with Optus is that their billing system is a day or two behind (if you ask them over the phone) so if you start using GPRS, take it slow until you get an idea on how quickly the phone bill grows

If your work runs Exchange 2003, you can use builtin mail client to sync directly with it (may need few small tweaks to the server though). I have friends whose work rolled out Treos and they are quiet happy with syncing to their corp Exchange server.

It just helps keeping the inbox under control.

PS: 8:10am over here in London :-)

Cheers,
    Max
    www.intellectit.com.au
    I am a treo 650 user with optus GPRS. The good thing about optus GPRS is that the first 2mb cost $10. After that it's 2.2cents per kb on weekdays and 1.1c on weekends and the costs will mount up pretty quick. So if your using it just for email and the occasional web browsing it should be fine for you to keep near the 2mb mark - remembering that you dodn't fully download emails with huge attachments. Unfortunately tracking data usage on the 650 is not practically possible to my knowledge. Trafficstat software which used to be fine on my treo 600 causes the 650 to reset an aweful lot which forced me to uninstall it. You can thanks NVFS for that.
    Kate ...
    Although I'm with Telstra, I download my emails at least twice a day to my T650 and make ~20 short phone calls per day, and my monthly cost is about $110.
    I use Snapper mail, and it is excellent.
    My mate has a Blackberry, and wishes he had a Treo.
  9. rio
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Hello Kate,
    I use Vodafone and email all day/call all day/web now and then on t650 for my business.
    Total Cost $79.50 per month.

Cheers

Rio