1.    #1  
    I'm going on 7 day a Carnival cruise to Alaska. The start is in Vancouver and end is in Anchorage, with the ship staying pretty close to the shore (based on their map on the web site).

How does cell phone coverage work on such things? Will I need international roaming? even in Alaska?

Will I even get a signal on the ship? It will be tough to be away from the 'net for so long ... At least I should have some coverage when at the ports of call..

How does data service work while a) on ship, b) in Alaska?

I have the older $19.99/mo (unlimited internet +SMS etc) MediaWorks plan ...

Thanks.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    LOL.. Dood Alaska is part of the UNITED STATES... it's not international rates.

Cell Service will work for you along the coast most of the way but out on the boat.. I can't tell you anything about that.

AT&T/Cingular dumped Alaska for trade to California a few years ago so we have a Regional Provider (Cellular One) which will do the cell/data service.
    Palm V -> Pocket PC -> Treo 650 GSM
    ----------------- ^
    Slipped to the "Dark Side" for a while, But I'm back
  3.    #3  
    Great. You never know with these phone companies and their efforts to wring every penny out of you ..

I'll be the one on the tour buses who is pecking away furiously at his Treo while others are snapping pictures :-)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I've been on several cruises before, although, none to Alaska. I've always had coverage in port, but rarely when the ship was sailing. On one cruise, they actually asked people to turn off cell phones while the ship was sailing, but that was fairly close to 9-11 and the most recent one I took had no problem with cell phones anytime.

I know that the point of an Alaska cruise is to see the Alaskan coast, so I think they tend to stay fairly close to shore. On the other cruises I've been on you get far enough out that you can't see land anymore. Assuming your Alaskan cruise stayes in a little further you might get a signal out on the boat (at least if there's a tower on shore somewhere... some of where you're going is probably going to be pretty deserted, I imagine).

Finally, be careful about roaming in Canada... Cingular will hit you for $0.79 per minute. I believe it's also $0.02 per K for data roaming. You'll be in Canada part of the time, and if you're close to the boarder in Alaska it's possible that your phone might pick up a canadian tower. I noticed the other day that Cingular now offers a 'north america' rate plan that includes Canada and Mexico (as well as the US) with no roaming charges. Obviously the plan is more than the standard US only plan for the same number of minutes, but with Cingular you can change your rate plan from month to month. If you're going to be in canada for a little while it might be worth calling and changing to the plan that includes Canada before you leave, then change back to your original plan when you come back. They can only change plans when a new billing cycle starts, so you might have to call soon if you're going to be leaving soon. I have no idea how data works with this plan, though.

Good luck and have fun

Brett
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for your help. I'm surprised that the cruise ships don't make some type of internet/cell service available through satellite or something (for a fee). Maybe they do .. I won't be able to use it, though, as I don't have a laptop and the Treo doesn't have Wi-fi..

As for changing plans, I'm afraid of changing anything in case Cingular yanks the $19.99/mo unlimited MediaWorks that I signed up for in February ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    When do you know your addicted to your Treo? When your on a gorgeous Alaskan cruise and you rather be playing with your Treo.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I think all of the Carnival ships do now have satellite internet. I recently took the Pride down to the Mexican Riviera. Had T-Mobile service at each port (Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan & Cabo). The internet service on the ship wasn't too pricey. They have a computer room with about a dozen terminals or you can sit in the same room or within about 30 feet and go wireless on your own laptop.