Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1.    #1  
    The newest version of TCPMP now plays the H.264 (AVC) codec. It even plays Nero Recode 2's proprietary AVC codec! It's the best codec in the industry.
  2. aldamon's Avatar
    Posts
    650 Posts
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    #2  
    Are you talking about 0.65?
  3. #3  
    great! but, isn't h.264 an open-source codec? is nero's AVC that much better than, say, apple's h.264? just wondering...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by kugino
    great! but, isn't h.264 an open-source codec? is nero's AVC that much better than, say, apple's h.264? just wondering...
    Nero's AVC is just their version. It was supposed to be locked to Nero ShowTime, but the new TCPMP can play it! It's the 0.65p version.
  5. #5  
    Used Nero Recode2 to convert two DVD's for a recent trip (Orgazmo & Fish Called Wanda) for my 650.

    After some experimenting, I found that with the Portable setting, a minimal throughput of 268kbps would generate a 320x176 movie (close to widescreen ratio) under automatic sizing. Using a smaller kbps would generate a smaller movie that wouldn't natively fill the horizontal size of the screen.

    So, after manually setting the resolution to 320x176, I brought it down to 150kbps (32kbps 22K stereo audio) and Recode spit out both at around 110 megabytes each in pretty good quality (at least for watching on a plane). TCPMP was able to play the video at 101% speed with no dropped frames, meaning I was essentially maxing out the device (and my 66x SD card). The only issue was setting an A/V offset of about 400ms to ensure synchronization.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by emair
    Used Nero Recode2 to convert two DVD's for a recent trip (Orgazmo & Fish Called Wanda) for my 650.

    After some experimenting, I found that with the Portable setting, a minimal throughput of 268kbps would generate a 320x176 movie (close to widescreen ratio) under automatic sizing. Using a smaller kbps would generate a smaller movie that wouldn't natively fill the horizontal size of the screen.

    So, after manually setting the resolution to 320x176, I brought it down to 150kbps (32kbps 22K stereo audio) and Recode spit out both at around 110 megabytes each in pretty good quality (at least for watching on a plane). TCPMP was able to play the video at 101% speed with no dropped frames, meaning I was essentially maxing out the device (and my 66x SD card). The only issue was setting an A/V offset of about 400ms to ensure synchronization.
    Sounds like you were doing something wrong. I've never had Recode 2 (make sure you have the newest version) get the video size wrong. It sounds like you also didn't use the Portable-AVC setting. It's different from the Portable setting.

    If you use PXAClocker, TCPMP will rock through the video benchmarking.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Sounds like you were doing something wrong. I've never had Recode 2 (make sure you have the newest version) get the video size wrong. It sounds like you also didn't use the Portable-AVC setting. It's different from the Portable setting.

    If you use PXAClocker, TCPMP will rock through the video benchmarking.
    Hmm. When I set the throughput to less than 268 on automatic resize, it gave me movies around 300x160. TCPMP, of course, would scale it to the screen.

    Looking at the AVC settings, it is esssentially 2 pass encoding. I stuck with the one pass since the quality seemed good enough.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by emair
    Hmm. When I set the throughput to less than 268 on automatic resize, it gave me movies around 300x160. TCPMP, of course, would scale it to the screen.

    Looking at the AVC settings, it is esssentially 2 pass encoding. I stuck with the one pass since the quality seemed good enough.
    Nope. AVC is MUCH different from 2-pass. It makes 2-pass look like 1-pass. It's so far ahead of any other codecs that it isn't funny. I can't stand to see any artifacts or rough edges in my movies (even on my Treo), so I won't settle for anything less than AVC.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Nero's AVC is just their version. It was supposed to be locked to Nero ShowTime, but the new TCPMP can play it! It's the 0.65p version.
    Where did you download the 65p version? I can only find 65.
  10. balistc's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    The newest version of TCPMP now plays the H.264 (AVC) codec. It even plays Nero Recode 2's proprietary AVC codec! It's the best codec in the industry.
    How would I get Recode 2 to record in the AVC codec? I have version 2.2.6.16, thanks.
  11.    #12  
    Just select the Portable-AVC profile from the main screen after you load whatever movie you're going to convert. I leave my audio on the default settings and change the video to 199.9kbps. The video is absolutely perfect. With the AVC codec, I could probably drop the video bitrate a lot and have it still be much clearer than the xvid codec like PDE or AutoGK use.
  12. balistc's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #13  
    I wasn't sure because it didn't say which codec it was using. Also do you know if it is better to use the 2-pass on the encoding method?
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by balistc
    I wasn't sure because it didn't say which codec it was using. Also do you know if it is better to use the 2-pass on the encoding method?
    Yeah, 2-pass is better. That's the only thing worth changing when using the AVC codec.
  14. aldamon's Avatar
    Posts
    650 Posts
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    #15  
    I just listened to the 5/15 This Week in Tech podcast and the Nero Digital format got a sweet plug:

    http://thisweekintech.com/

    (End of random post LOL.)
  15. #16  
    The TCPMP folks are awesome! They seem to have a new beta every other day - they're up to 0.65s, so 0.66 should be out soon...

    Finally they put in keyboard shortcuts. Also, I no longer need an A/V offset for playing Recode2 converted DVDs (although the default stereo audio seems to stutter for me, sticking with 32kbps)
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
  16. #17  
    Where did you get .65s? all i find on tcpmp.corecodec.org is .65
  17. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by richard371
    Where did you get .65s? all i find on tcpmp.corecodec.org is .65
    http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-...t_Media_Player
  18. #19  
    oops, wrong post.
    Last edited by kugino; 05/22/2005 at 02:28 AM.
  19. #20  
    i'm having trouble playing my h.264 encoded movies done in handbrake on the mac. they're set at 320x320, 15 fps, 250 kbps, 22050 khz AAC at 96 kbps. i get no video or audio, but the slider works and shows the proper time of the movie.

    other movies done in regular mp4 (using ffmpeg codec) play fine and look fantastic. any thoughts?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions