Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    People I call when driving with the top down tell me they can plainly hear road noise, wind noise, trucks passing me, and such. Tried with the Mot BT HS850, and with just the Treo hand held; no difference. Before I had a Mot V60 and with no headset most people were surprised I was in the car; it did very well.

I've given up on BT, plan to add Voice Dailer, but need a recommended headset, BT or wired, whichever works, that cuts out the background noise.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmike
    Best Way To Eliminate Background Noise In A Convertable?

Mike
    Put up the top?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Shure makes a great wired headset with a narrow wire type boom mic. I drive a big 4x4 convertable and even with the top on the tire noise is loud. The Shure headset is the best one that I have found. I got it on ebay for $15. Here is the manufactures website http://www.shure.com/quietspot/index.asp#boom
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Try Jawbone. Expensive, but supposed to be the mother of all headsets, especially for background noise.

http://www.jawbone.com/
  5.    #5  
    "Top up" is not an option; it's why I live here! (Silicon Valley).

Jawbone looks great, but their site says they do not have a unit for the Treo.

Mike
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I use The Boom. It is wired but from talking to people with it I've been told that it not only cuts done on background noise, it actually slightly "improves" my voice quality. Making it easier to understand me than if I was using just my phone (with no headset) in quiet conditions.

http://www.theboom.com/
    Plantronics makes excellent noise cancelling headsets too.
    Mark Bergman
    I would definitely try the Etymotics headset.

http://etymotic.com/ephp/etycom.asp

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Logitech Mobile Freedom with Windstop Technology works great for me.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  10. KBS
    I use the Shure quietspot as well. I haven't received any complaints about sound quality when my Miata's top is down.
  11.    #11  
    LUVMYTREO, the ear piece looks painful; is it? And what's the deal with "replacement filter"? Is it filtering melted ear wax from loud volume? (Ewwwwww).
    Mike Caldwell
    Wrap your head in tin foil.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    LUVMYTREO, the ear piece looks painful; is it? And what's the deal with "replacement filter"? Is it filtering melted ear wax from loud volume? (Ewwwwww).
    I don't have this cell phone headset, but I do have the ER-6i for my iPod. They are very comfortable as the flanges (plug part) are made of very soft silicone rubber. They cut ambient noise down a bit. The filter tends to smooth out the sound response. If you look at their website you will notice how they are a hearing aid company, so they are into very accurate sound reproduction. Professional musicians use their units also. They are a bit pricey but if you have the $$, they are worth it.
    you can also try this. I use it for my airsoft games. Got one off ebay for 50 bucks.

http://www.clearercom.com/
    I also recommend the Shure Quietspot Boom headset.

I've done 80mph with the top down and been heard clearly by the person on the other end. I didn't even need to shout; a normal speaking voice was sufficient. At just 40mph I could even speak quietly and be heard.

I'm considering also getting the inline model to keep in my pocket to use when walking on the sidewalk. In NYC it gets noisy enough that I can't be heard without a headset and I can't hear the other person without switching to the speakerphone and holding that side against my ear.
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by busyba
    I also recommend the Shure Quietspot Boom headset.

I've done 80mph with the top down and been heard clearly by the person on the other end. I didn't even need to shout; a normal speaking voice was sufficient. At just 40mph I could even speak quietly and be heard.

I'm considering also getting the inline model to keep in my pocket to use when walking on the sidewalk. In NYC it gets noisy enough that I can't be heard without a headset and I can't hear the other person without switching to the speakerphone and holding that side against my ear.
    Do you think the Quietspot will fit inside a motorcycle helmet (an "open face" helmet) ?

And would it work up to 80kph (max speed of my scooter) ? Or should I go for a throat mic solution?

-Christopher
    I wouldn't know about motorcycles or helmets. Sorry.
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    "Top up" is not an option; it's why I live here! (Silicon Valley).

Jawbone looks great, but their site says they do not have a unit for the Treo.

Mike

you just knew that one was coming !
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    After looking at some of the posts in this thread, and checking some prices, I bought a Shure Quietspot boom. I had not found anything that worked even marginally well in my convertable, and was really not going to spend north on $100 for a headset...
    The Quietspot is really fantastic! Having a normal conversation at highway speeds with the top down is a good thing....

Thanks to all who recommended it!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast