1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Maybe you folks can help me out here. I would like to know how some of you use AIM, Yahoo, MSN, etc. for business.
    IM is superior to email if all you need is a quick back-and-forth for a couple of answers. It cuts down on the email traffic, and allows you to multitask better than picking up the phone. And in the case of the Treo with Verichat or Causerie, it allows you to keep in touch easier if you're out of the office.
    I'm back!
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    IM is superior to email if all you need is a quick back-and-forth for a couple of answers. It cuts down on the email traffic, and allows you to multitask better than picking up the phone. And in the case of the Treo with Verichat or Causerie, it allows you to keep in touch easier if you're out of the office.
    Sounds reasonable. How long of a lag is there between in the sent and recieve aspect?
    I can't give exact times because I've never really timed it, but using Verichat seems very fast. When using MSN Messenger via Verichat, for example, you'll see the little [typing] notation at the top of the message when the person you are IM'ing is replying to your message, which is nice. Plus, you'll see everyone's status in the friends window as well.

There is a place for email (longer messages, documentation, not needing an answer back), just as there is a place for IM (shorter, quicker responses, faster and uses less overhead, doesn't require an internal mail server). There are pros and cons to both, with the biggest con to IM being that if you use a public protocol, like MSN, AIM, or Yahoo, there are security risks. If you're looking at an enterprise solution, most of the major IM providers either have or are developing enterprise solutions that are more secure, have logging capabilities, and will route through one of your internal servers, rather than relying on servers out on the Internet.
    I'm back!
    I agree. Where I work...my boss is tied to the pc and I IM her if I have a question like 'Is this the right equipment for the job? ' or something like 'Was it penal code 6354(a) or was it (b).

With the yahoo messenger...its a little slower than the desktop version but quicker (at least it seems) than SMS.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

we used to use msn for work but they took it away form us cause the language used wasnt professional.. : -(
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I can't give exact times because I've never really timed it, but using Verichat seems very fast. When using MSN Messenger via Verichat, for example, you'll see the little [typing] notation at the top of the message when the person you are IM'ing is replying to your message, which is nice. Plus, you'll see everyone's status in the friends window as well.

There is a place for email (longer messages, documentation, not needing an answer back), just as there is a place for IM (shorter, quicker responses, faster and uses less overhead, doesn't require an internal mail server). There are pros and cons to both, with the biggest con to IM being that if you use a public protocol, like MSN, AIM, or Yahoo, there are security risks. If you're looking at an enterprise solution, most of the major IM providers either have or are developing enterprise solutions that are more secure, have logging capabilities, and will route through one of your internal servers, rather than relying on servers out on the Internet.
    To add to this information-- there is a secure version of Verichat which is also available to talk to your secure enterprise IM infrastructure. We are trying this right now at my company and it integrates very well with Windows Messenger and LCS.

If you have not yet deployed any enterprise IM system, Microsoft's LCS is probably the one you should consider, simply because it will soon have official public IM connectivity and because Yahoo and AOL have withdrawn their enterprise products from their offerings. LCS 2005 also integrates very nicely with Microsoft Exchange. If you are a Lotus shop, then you should get hooked up with IBM's Sametime.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Maybe you folks can help me out here. I would like to know how some of you use AIM, Yahoo, MSN, etc. for business.
    Try Causerie it fills in energy and enthusiasm by offering a beautiful interface. I am a guy spending atleast 6hrs on my IM and I never got bored with Causerie.
    we have LCS deployed and use Windows Messanger internally ...... I don't see anything about LCS support or an enterprise edition of Verichat on the PDAapps website. Is this version currently a beta or is it available?