Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NAPO
    sorry...newbie here, how do u even use verichat...what is the SMS address that they ask for when you start the program.
    Your SMS email address is of the form <number>@carrier-domain, e.g.,

4085551212@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    4085551212@mobile.mycingular.com
    4085551212@tmomail.net
    4085551212@vtext.com

etc.

or you can choose data mode in VeriChat.

PDAapps
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    I have no use for IM or SMS but I don't have a ton of people trying to contact me either. I'm glad the folks who need these things have choices.
    PDAapps thanks for the help.

my verichat demo finished b4 i could check it out. i downloaded causerie and it works great tho!
    My feeling about IM is that "I'd rather stick needles in my eyes". The idea of advertising "Here I am, come and pester me all you want" is not a thing that I, as a business person, find as an advantage. If I had tons of free time on my hands, I guess it might be a diversion but who needs the interuptions when trying to get work done ?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    My feeling about IM is that "I'd rather stick needles in my eyes". The idea of advertising "Here I am, come and pester me all you want" is not a thing that I, as a business person, find as an advantage. If I had tons of free time on my hands, I guess it might be a diversion but who needs the interuptions when trying to get work done ?
    Good point but you can control who 'pesters' you because you can decide who to give your screen name to. If you only wanted to be bugged by a couple people, then you can let them know when it would be appropriate (and what) to contact you about.
    I like having the opportunity to send little messages between my wife and myself during the day, but it's not so important to me that I'm going to pay for the priviledge when I can just send an email instead.
    I MSN and Yahoo messenger, but only really use MSN. Interestingly, my wife's job uses MSN to communicate between offices (along w/ e-mail of course) because they are located across the country. That's really why I got my MSN messenger so we could stay in touch during the day without being on the phone. The Yahoo messenger was part of my DSL package with SBC, but no one I know uses it.

I installed Causerie on my phone and LOVED it, but since I only really use messenger when I'm at work I typically only do it from my PC so I didn't buy it once the trial expired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    I like having the opportunity to send little messages between my wife and myself during the day, but it's not so important to me that I'm going to pay for the priviledge when I can just send an email instead.
    There are free IM programs for MSN and Yahoo for sure, and I think AIM, too.
    gungho, in verichat you can designate who can and can't contact you.

My wife and I are on tmobile, she has a 600 with tzones and gets free sms.
    I have a 650 with unlimited internet. SMS is 5 cents per message with my plan, but data is free.
    So we use Verichat to chat free.
    It works with tzones and doesn't use sms.
    And unlike sprint and verizon, GSM puts your data on hold when a call comes in, so you never miss a call. Verichat logs back in as soon as the call is over. I love it because I can login to AIM, yahoo, MSN simultaneously and it is seemlessly integrated, much like trillian.

You can associate a contact entry with a screen name, then hit the phone icon in the chat window and it will dial that person.
    Another feature I use is buddy pounce to let me know when my friends ger online.
    You can also use one of the buddy features to make a shortcut to message a person without launching verichat first.

I know I sound like an advertisement, but it really is a killer app for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Good point but you can control who 'pesters' you because you can decide who to give your screen name to. If you only wanted to be bugged by a couple people, then you can let them know when it would be appropriate (and what) to contact you about.
    That would be good if no one in turn gave it away to someone else. But there's times when I don't want my wife, my dad, my kids to bother me.....like when I am working ...and times I don't want business people bothering me....so that means at laast 2 names. I already have 3 e-mail accounts separated by business, professional and personal.....don't want 3 more ways to communicate.

I kinda think of IM as the McDonald's of communication....instant and usually worth the time you wait to get it.
    That would be good if no one in turn gave it away to someone else. But there's times when I don't want my wife, my dad, my kids to bother me.....like when I am working ...and times I don't want business people bothering me....so that means at laast 2 names. I already have 3 e-mail accounts separated by business, professional and personal.....don't want 3 more ways to communicate.

I kinda think of IM as the McDonald's of communication....instant and usually worth the time you wait to get it.
    When u reach office, block your wife, dad and kids, and when out of office unblock them and block business people.
    ...IM is important on treo.

This is more of a personal preference and situation. I agree with you right now. Here at work it has got to the point where the person sitting right next to you will send you an IM rather than talking face to face. So I don't use it on my computer nor on my 650. However, if I was far from my family (not business people) and that was the quickest way to communicate with them, then I would not hesitate to install it.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tone
    There are free IM programs for MSN and Yahoo for sure, and I think AIM, too.
    The only free ones I've found for AIM (which is what we use) is Agile Messenger (Which is flaky at best for me, and doesn't seem to be updated for Palm) and the UK version of AIM for Palm which works for awhile then craps out.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAfan
    ...IM is important on treo.
    I don't know. I just can't imagine myself typing IMs on this little keyboard all day. Seems very disruptive rather than helpful. I guess it would be a good way to master the little keys though. IMs are banned any my workplace though so I guess it doesn't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    I don't know. I just can't imagine myself typing IMs on this little keyboard all day. Seems very disruptive rather than helpful. I guess it would be a good way to master the little keys though. IMs are banned any my workplace though so I guess it doesn't matter.
    Once you start using a good IM application, you will become addictive, and will know how useful it is. Also it depends upon if the people you generally communicate with use IM or not. Try for a couple of days.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I have Cingular with unlimited data, no SMS included. I use Yahoo IM at work. Anyone know haw Cingular charges for IMs? Could it go against my data, or would I pay more for SMS? THX! Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Here is a link to Treolog PC World magazine:
    http://blogs.pcworld.com/treolog/archives/000634.html
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAfan
    Once you start using a good IM application, you will become addictive, and will know how useful it is. Also it depends upon if the people you generally communicate with use IM or not. Try for a couple of days.
    OK, I'm going to give Treo Messenger for Yahoo a shot just for the heck of it. Kind of buggy but it's free.
    The only thing I don't like about IM on my Treo 650 is that if I use it in the 'always on' mode, I have to recharge my battery everyday. Otherwise I can go 3 days before having to recharge.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Hmmmm. Then my IM experiment might be short lived. Even though I charge every night, I don't want IMs to kill my battery life.
    Last edited by aldamon; 05/24/2005 at 12:30 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast