Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    it just occured to me as i was browsing through the forums that there are countless glowing reviews for chatter while it seems that snappermail has faded almost into oblivion. Is this true??

I can remember in the days of the 300 when snappermail was the king of email for the treo but now it seems that chatter has eclipsed it.

I am a registered user of both but i havent had snapper installed for quite some time.
    I use Snapper.
    Use Both..
    I think it's fair to say that Snapper's strategy differers from Chatter's, with Chatter working to become the premiere Treo email application, and Snapper reaching for a wider base (Windows Mobile and Symbian are on their agenda). I believe that the Snapper folks are also quite conservative with technology, as they must be if trying to become standard across a variety of platforms, whereas Chatter's is more of a disruptive technology, aiming to provide new functionality (push/asynchronous/background, i.e. more like your PC's email application) to smaller set of users (i.e. Treo owners). Both strategies are valid, IMO.

Marc
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I've tried Chatter and it's ok, but since I can't get "push", Snapper meets all my needs...- and yes, I know Marc will say that push isn't the only added value for Chatter, but for me, at this point it is, and I am used to Snapper's feel.. Given what an energetic developer Marc is, he will likely someday win over the Snapper hold-outs like me, but not yet...
  6.    #6  
    hmm... i see your point marc. perhaps snapper is simply...adjusting to new markets
  7.    #7  
    seems to me amell is that the only advantage to snapper over chatter for you is that you have already paid for it. at $60 a pop i would probably try my best to enjoy it too.

(so glad i never did more than a trial of enterprise)
    I still use both, though Chatter is by far the more convenient for me. They both have their pros and cons. If asked which one I would delete, I would say neither. Ben
    I feel the same way as you lovedatreo. I have both installed and I've registered for both. However, Chatter seems to be a winner for my needs. However, there are times like yesterday and today, when freaking AOL IMAP doesn't want to push my mail, that probably would prefer snapper. I guess once you take away the push email functionality from Chatter, everything else doens't look as good as with push.
    My advise would be if you have an IMAP account that supports the idle command then YOU MUST USE Chatter. But if you are mainly a pop3 user then you are not missing much and I would recommend to stay with snapper. Let's not forget that Snapper was created to work with POP3 mainly and Chatter was created to work with IMAP mainly.

Al
    Last edited by TreoRock; 05/12/2005 at 02:40 AM.
    deleted snapper last week. i have used it since my 270 days (anybody remember the original "simpsons mutant fish" logo?) I had the older version too and it was buggy with my 650. I installed the latest chatter, loaded my imap and pop accounts, after i saw the "summary screen" and noticed the fact that it checks in the background and sends in the background i almost pissed myself and promptly went to deleting snapper and saving 3mb of ram in the process.
    If you think SapperMail is losing popularity, DataViz's Inbox to Go is almost invisible. I have yet to see it mentioned in any threads that deals with Treo 650.

It was fairly poplular when the Treo 600 was introduced. I find it odd that Docs to Go is offered on the Treo 650 and yet DataViz has allowed it's Inbox to Go to loose ground.

BTW I still use Inbox to Go on my Sprint Treo 600 and it works well.
    LOL
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    I think it's fair to say that Snapper's strategy differers from Chatter's, with Chatter working to become the premiere Treo email application, and Snapper reaching for a wider base (Windows Mobile and Symbian are on their agenda). I believe that the Snapper folks are also quite conservative with technology, as they must be if trying to become standard across a variety of platforms, whereas Chatter's is more of a disruptive technology, aiming to provide new functionality (push/asynchronous/background, i.e. more like your PC's email application) to smaller set of users (i.e. Treo owners). Both strategies are valid, IMO.

Marc
    With push mail as implemented by Chatter becoming the standard by which everything is measured, I doubt any strategy from Snapper that does not incorporate true background push is going to succeed in the long term.

Snapper's other problem is that there are so many players in the email space now-- Good, Chatter, Visto, Seven, Blackberry Connect (when it becomes available), Intellisync, DataViz etc., and then the 650 comes with what is for all purposes "Snapper-equivalent", i.e., Versamail.

Mr. Lau, time for you to start collaborating with Marc?
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_fanatic
    ...and then the 650 comes with what is for all purposes "Snapper-equivalent", i.e., Versamail.
    I'm glad someone mentioned this. I am a registered user of Snapper, but am now using Versamail. I'm not in a position to need "push" email, nor do I use any sort of "always on" connection at home. I've got my Treo 650 and my Novatel aircard. That's it. Therefore I wish I'd never paid for Snapper (nothing wrong with it, just don't need it). I use an email address "@sprintpcs.com" so all my mail is there. With Snapper I still had to go into Sprint's site and delete all the old mail. Versamail being able to delete from the server was all I needed. I know people have complained about stability, but mine's been pretty good. My father got a corrupt file in his, but deleting the asc3 and asc4 files out of his Treo with "Filez" fixed it. So for my money, at this stage, I can't see paying for either!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    And still no news from the developer of Snapper on a long overdue next version. Frustrating....
    I actually spoke to Will about a year and a half ago, and again about a year ago, about working together. At that time, he didn't sound interested at all in IMAP, although I expect that's changed.

I don't expect that a Snapper version with push and asynchronous operation will be available any time soon, if at all, for the current line of Treos. But we'll see...

Marc
    For some reason I have a feeling that the Snapper team is not committed to upgrade Snapper anytime soon. They are probably working on other projects, otherwise they would have shown something new by now.

Al
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by makrotonik
    anybody remember the original "simpsons mutant fish" logo?
    yep, i remember those days. it seems as though snappers developers may just be lazy (something marc clearly is not). and in the world of pda software that is not a very good thing to do.

I simply cant believe they weren't even interested in imap idle implementation in snapper. this seems simply ludacris.
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    I actually spoke to Will about a year and a half ago, and again about a year ago, about working together. At that time, he didn't sound interested at all in IMAP, although I expect that's changed.
    Marc
    SnapperMail has very good support for IMAP.

I have no complaints at all about their current product, any new features will be welcome, but not necessary to keep me as a customer. They have been actively improving various things (improvements in IMAP folder features, Treo support, timed email checking, etc.), so I think it's inaccurate to characterize them as being inactive on development.
    Quote Originally Posted by makrotonik
    (anybody remember the original "simpsons mutant fish" logo?)
    ahhh, Blinky. He was a good lad in his time.
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I haven't been following chatter too close lately (I stopped getting all those beta version announcements for some reason).

Does chatter archive to card? I have about 15 megs worth of messages on my card using snappermail. I like that I can search all of those offline. Can chatter do this?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast